Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying in Oughterany Village, Kilcock

Options
  • 15-10-2012 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, we`re considering buying a house in Kilcock, Oughterany Village. Can anyone tell me if it`s a nice estate, is it worth byuing there? We are both working in Dublin, thinking of buying a car for one person and the other would use rail as it runs close to my work place. What is Kilcock like? I`m not talking about pubs, it`s not important to us, but shops, community, safety?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭uli84

Looking for the opinions on the above too. Anyone? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Plopli

We looked at Oughterany before buying in Royal Meadows (~9 months ago)

Agent for the Oughterany houses was less than helpful when we were looking.
    Never returned the call, never arranged a viewing.

I walk the dog every few days there and there are still quite a lot of unfinished houses with nothing moving.
    Lot's of undeveloped space too.

We like Kilcock (family with 2 children). It's quiet and get enough local amenities for us (Centra + Tesco Express + Lidl, local butcher and bakery, several take away, ...).
    Also Maynooth is close enough and get all you can want.
    What we don't miss from Maynooth are the students.

I must say the town center is not one of the most appealing place - lot's of undeveloped units and ground.

Oughterany is the most 'remote' place in that direction. You're pretty close to the M4 and you can hear the noise outside (I can hear it too in Royal Meadows but much less).

Access to the M4 is easy enough and same for access to Maynooth.

Both boys are going to Maynooth St Mary and my wife find it easier to bring them there now than when we were living in Maynooth (Castledawson, on the Rathcoffey Road).

I commute by motorbike to Dublin, Ringsend and it takes me between 35 and 55 minutes. If you want to do it by car, you better adapt your schedule or be prepared to spend a lot more on the road. Sometime it's stop and go from Maynooth till I get of the M50 at Red Cow. Easy enough to filter with the bike but I wouldn't want to do it with the car.

You've train and Bus Eireann (115). Kilcock is just outside the commuter zone for the train so tickets are a bit on the expensive side.
    When I commute by train, I usually get my wife to drive me to Maynooth and take the train there (more of them too in Maynooth).

Safety wise, no complaint on the area at all (Royal Meadiws, Chambers Park, ...). The occasional house alarm ringing forever at odd hours but not more. We let the kids go to the library and Centra alone without problem.

Hope this helps :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Plopli wrote: »
    Agent for the Oughterany houses was less than helpful when we were looking.
    Never returned the call, never arranged a viewing.

That sounds oddly familiar... bought in Maynooth partially due to that. Older estate = far less students.

Advertisement