Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCA/Fitness test

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Shield wrote: »
    It looks that way if you time it, but it's not real time that you're watching. There needed to be movement of cameras, and in certain places you can tell he was cued for. The one to the drag bag and the run from the first blue cone after the drag bag to the second is not continuous. He starts off sprinting, but in the next camera angle, he seems to be just jogging.

That's not to say that he couldn't complete it in time. I'm sure he could eat it up. What I'm saying is that this is a production film that was obviously done with several cameras and edited accordingly.

Perhaps one of you guys or gals could be the poster child for an updated video :D

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TDA2

It would be rudetube not youtube if it was me!

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Dekkers

Tim89 wrote: »
    Fatigue = minimum of ten seconds onto each extra lap, would bring it up to 3m18s , not a lot of room for error !!

What is this 'fatigue' you speak of? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

TDA2 wrote: »
    Ok so the video which is a bit naff bears some resemblance and isn't accurate in time. Only difference appears to be the illusive wall. So it may be safe to assume that 3m48s might now be increased with the amended course. A 6ft wall is going to take around 10secs to clear each lap. Also if the ac is delivering low numbers and with the prospect of further recruiting they might allow more time - I'm not saying we are going to be given a horse to get carried round on by the way, but they may be forced into making it slightly easier. Question is will the time be decided after everyone is through or will it be pass/fail on the day?

Does the paperwork not say if you pass the give you the medical docs on the day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭CallTheCobra

wanadrum wrote: »
    Does the paperwork not say if you pass the give you the medical docs on the day?

Yea I read that on the letter sent out as well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭picture987

Who's all heading to the morning familarisation session? Wouldn't mind putting faces to names!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 J_Recruit

I am attending the familiarisation session tomorrow evening. I was just wondering what would be the suitable dress code for it. From what I have seen they are giving you a go on some elements. So suited and booted wouldn't be the best idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Job4life

I'm heading up tomorrow evening for the latest session. I'm going to wear a pair of trainers and running gear just in case. I would expect that's the best thing to do as it's more or less a dry run even if we don't get to do everything or in the right order

Change of plan, I'm for evening session now too!!

Just remember we want photos, videos and detailed descriptions, especially of 'THE WALL'. Be interesting to see if you get told anything else when you're there in terms of dates, processes, etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Jb12345

I shall be there first thing in the morning. Should be good.

I'm going in the evening - is there a boardsie dress code ;)

I'm going in the evening - is there a boardsie dress code ;)

Pink bowtie

Whoever goes to the morning session let us know about dress code so we can be prepared... Please : )

Yeah I agree, give us a heads up on what we're doing/ should wear!

Job4life wrote: »
    Pink bowtie

Where am I gonna get a pink bow tie in time?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 J_Recruit

Also a heads up on parking would be great :)

J_Recruit wrote: »
    Also a heads up on parking would be great :)

Parking will be inside the venue - nothin to worry about there - just make sure you bring ID and invitation letter!

Where am I gonna get a pink bow tie in time?

Haha, you may improvise

• Registered Users Posts: 2 livin the dream

Where has this 10 second penalty idea came from???

I have done the pca 8-10 times and there has never been a 10 second penalty imposed for clipping a cone or knocking a bar down!! You simply had to finish that section, go back to the start of it, and do it again.

I've done it with the wall and it certainly doesn't add on 10 seconds a lap. I still had to do it in under 3 mins 43. I think I was told to expect it to add on 3 extra seconds, not 10

• Advertisement

Where has this 10 second penalty idea came from???

I have done the pca 8-10 times and there has never been a 10 second penalty imposed for clipping a cone or knocking a bar down!! You simply had to finish that section, go back to the start of it, and do it again.

I've done it with the wall and it certainly doesn't add on 10 seconds a lap. I still had to do it in under 3 mins 43. I think I was told to expect it to add on 3 extra seconds, not 10

What height is the wall and is there anything to grip/grab with your hands or your feet? What times did you come in on and what is your fitness like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 livin the dream

TDA2 wrote: »
    What height is the wall and is there anything to grip/grab with your hands or your feet? What times did you come in on and what is your fitness like?

Hi, pleasure to meet you too....

I've got a pic on my phone but probably not a good idea to post it lol. I suppose it's around 6ft, nothing for your hands to grip apart from the top of it, 4 or so evenly spaced horizontal strips of wood about 1/2 inch thick for you to put you feet on.

My very first time on PCA I didn't want to rush, just keep a nice steady pace and came in at 3mins, but only 39 on push/pull.

My times got better each time I did it and so did the push/pull. Best time was 2mins 37 or 38 and managed 51 on push/pull at one point. I definitely got fitter during my training but wasn't unfit going into it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,692 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Maybe they've done away with the 10-second penalty if the PCA element has been redesigned, but it was definitely enforced when I was going through Garnerville, and continued to be enforced right up to the point where they decided to impose a hire freeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Given01

The worse element of the PCA was the crawling across the mat, if you knocked the sticks of the frames, you had wait to patiently for the Sticks to be out back up again, which would have been nightmare of you had knocked all of them down,( at least 15)

I'm going for sweats, tshirt and hoody. They can't expect people to be suited up for something like this. Obviously we are going to want a go so I'm assuming most people will come in similar gear.

Jb12345 wrote: »
    I'm going for sweats, tshirt and hoody. They can't expect people to be suited up for something like this. Obviously we are going to want a go so I'm assuming most people will come in similar gear.

I'll look like a right tit if I'm the only one with running gear on. Look like a stick man in lycra. Not cool but I don't want any flappy items of clothing knocking anything over when it comes to the real thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭19087

Job4life wrote: »
    I'll look like a right tit if I'm the only one with running gear on. Look like a stick man in lycra. Not cool but I don't want any flappy items of clothing knocking anything over when it comes to the real thing!

Why don't you wear your running stuff (I'm asuming you mean like running leggings) and wear trackies over the top so you can just take them off if/when you get to give it a go?

Just out of the morning session there. One thing, wear your sports gear as you will get a good go on the equipment.
    It's actually OK, more work to do for me though to get that fitness higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭gmck26

Just completed morning session myself. The wall looks daunting when you first go in but is actually not that bad. The time is extended slightly because of this but not a geat deal.

need to focus my training on doing sprints over the next few weeks until I do test however!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭CallTheCobra

gmck26 wrote: »
    Just completed morning session myself. The wall looks daunting when you first go in but is actually not that bad. The time is extended slightly because of this but not a geat deal.

need to focus my training on doing sprints over the next few weeks until I do test however!!!

How long does the session last for? Going to head up to the later session tonight, quite a drive to get to it but!

Advertisement