Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Denny's Factory Site in Tralee Town Centre

• 03-02-2014 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Jimmyireland

Sound gesture by Kerry Group tonight. Handing over the site of the old Denny's Factory (circa 4 acres) to the Tralee Town Council for the people of Tralee.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Sound gesture by Kerry Group tonight. Handing over the site of the old Denny's Factory (circa 4 acres) to the Tralee Town Council for the people of Tralee.

Be interesting to see what will be done with that site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

Free carpark! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Bactidiaryl

Free carpark! ;)

I hope to think they would use it to better affect. There is huge potential there to increase the size of the town centre area with this addition. Also tying in with this, are the Garda moving to ballymullen or will it be just partly and keeping a smaller barracks in town centre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

I hope to think they would use it to better affect. There is huge potential there to increase the size of the town centre area with this addition. Also tying in with this, are the Garda moving to ballymullen or will it be just partly and keeping a smaller barracks in town centre?

Interesting, what would you put in the town centre? More shops? Tralee is doing very well to fill the vacant units. It is a generous move on the part of Kerry Group. The idea of a free car park may not be such a bad idea. It would put Town Centre businesses on an equal playing field with Manor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Interesting, what would you put in the town centre? More shops? Tralee is doing very well to fill the vacant units. It is a generous move on the part of Kerry Group. The idea of a free car park may not be such a bad idea. It would put Town Centre businesses on an equal playing field with Manor.

As long as they don't just put hoarding around it and leave it to rot for ten years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Free carpark! ;)

I nominate Molester Stallone as the new definition of an optimist!!

Considering the site I wonder if its not the ideal location for the new Court and Garda station that are being muted for Dan Spring road.

kn wrote: »
    I nominate Molester Stallone as the new definition of an optimist!!

Considering the site I wonder if its not the ideal location for the new Court and Garda station that are being muted for Dan Spring road.

Are there funds to build a new Garda Station and additional Courthouse?

Have the Town Council funds to look after and develop the site?

Whilst is is nice of Kerry Group to hand over the site unless the Council can develop it , really it could simply become another vacant site.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

Marks and Spencer's perhaps !!!!!! ; )

I think it would be a waste of a great donated resource just to cover it in tar and use it as a car park. There's already ample enough parking in Tralee town centre and reasonably priced too. It has the potential to open up the town centre on the western side in a variety of different options. So thinking caps on boardies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Would it be good idea to widen road between barracks and denny's .
    Then the lane along side shaws where old council toilets were if this could be widened to a street [shindig being a casualty] and joined up with the widened road above this would really open up the town.
    I think this brainwave will take batin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

is that near the dog pound?

Yes. On the other side of the lane way. I take it your familiar with the dog pound given your username. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Its a wonder they never joined up!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 kimbaines

The Denny Site should be used in the most effective way to create more jobs for the town. Can we put another tech hub in there? The Kerry Tech Park is full and needs to be expanded. I know there are some employees there who would love to work in the town centre. A major employer in this site would provide the boost that the centre needs. We have a huge amount of cafes and lunch options in the town and the trade passed on to these alone would be a huge plus.
    Putting in another Car par will only spread the existing load. To think the Council would provide this free of charge after paying out for demolition, clear up and then re-surfacing is dreaming.

kimbaines wrote: »
    The Denny Site should be used in the most effective way to create more jobs for the town. Can we put another tech hub in there? The Kerry Tech Park is full and needs to be expanded. I know there are some employees there who would love to work in the town centre. A major employer in this site would provide the boost that the centre needs. We have a huge amount of cafes and lunch options in the town and the trade passed on to these alone would be a huge plus.
    Putting in another Car par will only spread the existing load. To think the Council would provide this free of charge after paying out for demolition, clear up and then re-surfacing is dreaming.

Not a bad idea, however there appears to be ample vacant office space available in the huge almost empty building across the road from the Railway Station.

A prison, due to its close proximity to the Garda Station.

Empty buildings eventually become derelict, it is often cheaper to demolish and start afresh. Car park is always an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

06-02-2014, 23:11 #5285
    kingdumb
    It will be interesting to see what TCC do with that site, please let me those looking for it to be turned into a carpark are jesting.

06-02-2014, 23:15 #5286
    delthedriver
    What do you think it should be used for?

06-02-2014, 23:24 #5287
    kingdumb
    Seeing as you ask, I think a memorial park to the millions of innocent pigs which were slaughtered on this site would be a nice gesture, their final squeals still haunt me.
    An interpretive centre could be developed which would be the first of it's kind [in Ireland anyway] and which would bring tourists from all over the world. The river could also be uncovered and a central lake formed.

07-02-2014, 08:39 #5289
    Sully34
    Originally Posted by delthedriver
    What do you think it should be used for?
    I would go with a brothel, it might help people like yourself to stop pestering the ladies on here

16-02-2014, 11:38 #5535
    Southern Dandy
    Wasn't even born then but those videos were just brilliant. It is way of peering into my parents past, and what it was like for them back then. Chances are whilst filming "Dennys" my Father would have been blissfully unaware this was being filmed while he worked inside.

I take it that KERRY COUNTY COUNCIL will now have the decision on what becomes of the Denny's Site in the town centre area.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

Just a thought, anyone have any idea what the rates would be on a site like this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

I heard it was full of asbestos, thus potentially costing a fortune to remove correctly so it was cheaper to donate in in a gesture of 'goodwill' and let the council pick up the tab of making it safe.

I heard it was full of asbestos, thus potentially costing a fortune to remove correctly so it was cheaper to donate in in a gesture of 'goodwill' and let the council pick up the tab of making it safe.

A double edged sword indeed !

The premises was becoming more derelict each year. It was costing the owners money for rates insurance and security.

In one quick move they delivered what was a problem for them , to TTC.

The asbestos issue does not surprise me in the least.

TTC got a complete pig , no pun intended !

The cost of demolition will ultimately be borne by other businesses in the form of increased rates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Unless a public private partnership (PPP) development is formed to build on the site. The cost, risk and potential returns would then be shared.

I do think some form of civic plaza/green space would be great but that by itself will be uneconomical if the costs of developing are too significant. This is where the private sector would get involved by building a mixture of retail/entertainment/office buildings around the perimeter of such a development to enable a financial return to justify their investment.

Good point made earlier about attracting businessess from the periphery into the town centre. It sounds like KTP is running out of space for some of the firms that are expanding. One company, Aspen Grove are already relocating to the old Peugout garage on the Castlemaine road as their expanding space requirements could no longer be met in the KTP. Remember, while we are still in a slump now, it's no excuse not to plan for the future when things turn around again (economies always go through boom and bust cycles) and have quality purpose built facilities ready and available to cater for those future requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Inevitably the site will be used for dense housing with both Council and affordable housing as the site is just too tight with the existing road infrastructure for any significant commercial use. I wonder will they include the Garda station in the development plan seeing it is planned for a long-time to move that along with the Courts to a site at the Ballymullen junction with Dan Spring Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭manoverboards

theislandtralee dot ie

HAVE YOU SAY here

Kerry County Council has announced the first phase of public consultation on the future use of the Denny Bacon Factory site in Tralee, which was donated to the people of Tralee by Kerry Group in 2014. Over the next six weeks, members of the public will be able to propose ideas which will be used to form a master-plan for the 2.3 acre site. All responses will be examined by the Council as that master-plan is developed.

Click Here to Share your Idea

http://theislandtralee.ie/

Latest on the old Dennys site

KERRY County Council has published a summary of the findings of almost 800 submissions which were received from members of the public in relation to the future use of the former Denny Bacon Factory in Tralee town centre.

Over a period of six weeks, the Council engaged in a non-statutory and informal public consultation process to establish the views of people in relation to what should become of the 2.3 acre site at the Island of Geese which was gifted to the people of Tralee by Kerry Group in 2014.

Almost one third of a total of 766 respondents suggested a mixed use for the site and when that broad range of proposals was categorised along with all the other proposals specifying one use, the following is the breakdown of preferences for the use of the site:

· Arts/Culture 20.80%

· Social/Community 20.66%

· Public Amenity Space 18.28%

· Sports/Recreation 15.54%

· Retail 10.86%

· Tourism 9.37%

· Residential 2.76%

· Office Space 1.74%

In the further comments section of survey responses received, 21% of all respondents said they would like to see the area or part of it used as a farmers’ market/food market similar to the English Market in Cork or the Milk Market in Limerick while almost 7% of respondents proposed a skate park for the site.

Of a full total of 766 submissions, 605 responses were received through the ‘Share My Idea’ forms online at www.theislandtralee.ie and in hard copy; there were 69 written submissions; and 92 submissions made at workshops which were held in Tralee on 21 September.

All of the submissions have been collated and categorised by the Planning Section of Kerry County Council.

Mayor of Tralee, Cllr Terry O’Brien said the level of engagement in the consultation process was unprecedented and provides a useful consultation template for the future: “A project like this would normally just proceed through planning and statutory processes without any widespread consultation. But Kerry County Council was always conscious of the fact that this site was gifted to the people of Tralee and we wanted them to have their say.

“While all the proposals that have emerged through the ‘Share My Idea’ process are unlikely to be fully accommodated within the Island of Geese site, they remain valid and will be considered in the context of the wider development of the Tralee Town Centre West development and the wider town itself.

“The next step will be the appointment of experts to draw up a master-plan for the area and I hope that the content of these submissions will be closely considered in laying out what will become of this wonderful and iconic location,” said Cllr O’Brien.

http://traleetoday.ie/range-ideas-pu...r-denny-plant/

WHAT's the latest news on this place ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

amadain wrote: »
    WHAT's the latest news on this place ?

I read somewhere recently that consultants were appointed to oversee the development and demolition of the factory will take place this summer but the original tall chimney will be retained. it sounds like development proper won't take place until next year at the earliest.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

ongarboy wrote: »
    I read somewhere recently that consultants were appointed to oversee the development and demolition of the factory will take place this summer but the original tall chimney will be retained. it sounds like development proper won't take place until next year at the earliest.

Have they even decided on what it's going to be used for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭manoverboards

I think that's what the consultants will be tasked with, they did publish a report of the public consultation.
    http://theislandtralee.ie/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Findings-from-Share-my-Idea-Survey.doc
    Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Have they even decided on what it's going to be used for?

Advertisement