Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National service

Options
  • 04-02-2014 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭

Would the youth of today benefit from national service. I did a few years in the reserves and found it a great source of comradrie and helped me get some independence from home life. I think that national service would help a lot of wayward youths get a better handle on adult life and benefit them in the long run like help them get permenant jobs on completion and they would also benefit from the structured living.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

No.

There is nothing more unhealthy than a person who does not want to be a soldier, being forced to be a soldier.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

No.

There is nothing more unhealthy than a person who does not want to be a soldier, being forced to be a soldier.

Its different when your in a neutral country. Its not like your going to be marched to the feont lines and told charge. The army teach some good valuable life lessons along with a healthier alround lifwstyle. Up early for breakfast training to stay healthy and team spirit. Look at the youths of today in disadvantaged area and the shockijg rise in petty crime. A system like the reserve only mandatory not full time and only for two years i think would make a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭unichall

How would you enforce it? How do they do it in other countries?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

No. A military force is not the proper place to deal with petty criminals. All you end up doing (from what I have seen of countries with conscription) is teach these people how to use firearms efficiently.
    We have a professional Defence Force, full of people who through determination got through a tough recruitment process, and want to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

I Think the army could have a role to play in the disadvantaged schools...not necessarly in a disciplinary role but be strong role models and possibly teach in subjects like physical education ,history and geography ....& some of the trades like mech drawing/woodwork.

If some of the students showed an interest in following a career in the defence forces they could then be steered in that direction...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

SNAKEDOC wrote: »
    Would the youth of today benefit from national service. I did a few years in the reserves and found it a great source of comradrie and helped me get some independence from home life. I think that national service would help a lot of wayward youths get a better handle on adult life and benefit them in the long run like help them get permenant jobs on completion and they would also benefit from the structured living.

Personally I am of the belief that its the old subjects of crime & punishment, that and the fact that there are too many vested interests in our judicial system.

Advertisement