Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Striking moments captured on camera.

Options
  • 02-02-2014 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭

This is a sad one, Aryton Sennas last lap, He doesn't know that he's seconds away from death, life can turn off just like the flick of a switch.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

This one always gets me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Hownowcow

This is a sad one, Aryton Sennas last lap, He doesn't know that he's seconds away from death, life can turn off just like the flick of a switch.

I couldn't watch that. I know it was twenty years ago this year but it seems like yesterday. Senna was and still is one of my heros. Heartbreaking time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

A time when all the world really was watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Two images that will stay with you:

(warning, you might not want them to stay with you)

famine

9-11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭knarkypants

The JFK assassination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

There's a thread for this in Vids, Pics & Links.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The infamous 'Corporal Killings' in Belfast , the initial scenes were captured on camera. Two BA Corporals by accident drove into Caoimhin Mac Bradaigh's cortege, tensions in the city were high after the UDA's Michael Stone's graveyard assault in Milltown 3 days earlier where Mac Bradaigh was murdered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Filibuster

• Advertisement
  • Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

On a slightly more positive note, the two skydiving planes that collided above Superior, Wisconsin last year. All captured on Go-Pro cameras, amazingly the 9 skydivers and two pilots all survived...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Okay, be warned. The following clip could cause some people distress. Skip to 1.44 for the incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

A Mafia hit carried out in broad daylight in Naples which was captured on CCTV. The victim was a Camorra member engaged in a power struggle with other members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Filibuster

mike_ie wrote: »
    On a slightly more positive note, the two skydiving planes that collided above Superior, Wisconsin last year. All captured on Go-Pro cameras, amazingly the 9 skydivers and two pilots all survived...

How did the pilots get out?

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Filibuster wrote: »
    How did the pilots get out?

The pilot in the plane that had the wing ripped off managed to bail with an emergency chute before the plane tailspun completely. The pilot on the upper plane actually managed to land his even though it had a damaged prop and aileron surfaces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

Some footage of the stardust fire, starts at 1.30

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Moved to Cool Vids & Pics & Links

• Registered Users Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

tumblr_m4fpgpyE051qh1w43o1_500.gif

sauretcollapsewtc1-o.gif

tumblr_lrd23fqFUG1qi6zhto1_400.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Okay, be warned. The following clip could cause some people distress. Skip to 1.44 for the incident.

That.......was very upsetting. I've been less upset seeing people blown up on liveleak. Its especially upsetting I think because of the male father/brother/friend/boyfriend drivers immediate distraught distress because although unseen you know his reaction must be so strong and immediate because the poor girls injuries must have been devastating and obvious mortal wounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Below is very Distressing to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Calibos wrote: »
    That.......was very upsetting. I've been less upset seeing people blown up on liveleak. Its especially upsetting I think because of the male father/brother/friend/boyfriend drivers immediate distraught distress because although unseen you know his reaction must be so strong and immediate because the poor girls injuries must have been devastating and obvious mortal wounds.

Cold sweats here watching that, was driving through Glasgow and they have a 5 lane bypass, car in front hit what I thought was wet cardboard, turned out to be the corner connector went right thought the middle of the windscreen.
    Just made it to the hard shoulder. Recovery men were shocked when they saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

The Senna crash is with me to this day. I saw it live on tv as a teenager and didnt think it was fatal at the time.

The 1st race I ever watched in full was the 1993 Portugese GP. By Imola 94 I was mad into the sport, had an idea what Senna represented (an almost God like figure in F1) and was a growing fan of his, especially as he was the underdog against Schumachers 2 wins in Interlagos and Aida. To witness the crash is as haunting now as ever. When they announced the news that evening I was sitting in my Dads car listen to the radio announcing it. That sense of emptiness is/was a bottomless feeling. 1 minute it Murray interviewing him on race morning, then the crash, then no more. So sad.

Just after watching that fatal crash of the brick through the car window. Similar video here of a fatal accident during a demolition. Shocking how far and fast the bricks come.

Warning - not easy watching:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

and now for some relief. forward to 2.40

Used to do hill climbs when I was younger - this video always popped up as one of the luckiest recoveries ever. Definite brown trouser moment....

Heres another. Quite eerie with a pair of earphones & with the volume up. A load of these weird sky sound vids on youtube...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

For the above, I saw a good explanation for that from an acoustic engineer. Something about different density levels of air and the sound bouncing off one and down into an area up to hundreds of miles away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

If I had to guess I would say it is caused by some kind of metal-on-metal vibration. It sounds exactly like the hinges on a metal farm gate as it's being slowly opened and closed, but much louder obviously.

• Advertisement

There is a scientific explanation as mentioned here:

http://www.sott.net/article/240863-Strange-Sounds-in-Sky-Explained-by-Scientists

Its a bizarre phenomenon that id love to experience. There were sounds reported in northern Ireland and Europe also.

Sounds in Armagh: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-17B7tS5bVs
    Budapest (very weird): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBDU-OnkOPM

Advertisement