Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Sue Me gone huge what you think?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I have never heard of her or her blog before I read this. When I saw the thread title, I thought you were saying that some person had gained a lot of weight and I thought it would be two pages of arguing over that.
    Now that I've googled her, I think she's a little tacky looking. But fair play to her if she's made a career out of it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Her posts are extremely self indulgent these days, embarrassingly so, the post about the bracelet gift really jarred with me, she shouldnt have taken it and really shouldn't have posted about it. I really hope she has something to fall back on when the whirlwind ends. I much prefer lollipops, SSM just is trying way too hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

I think she may have read this thread as I've noticed the last few days she's answering question and not showing as much designer stuff.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Ginny wrote: »
    SSM just is trying way too hard.

I never heard of her before this thread, but looking through her facebook page, that's exactly what I felt too. Everything is just a little too much and in your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭qwerty1991

I totally agree with everything above. I started to follow her on facebook last year but in the last few months all her blog posts seem to be about her and her staying in a hotel and her cooking dinner and her new make up desk etc.Things that aren't really very useful from a 'fashion blog' but just very self indulgent ''look how well I'm doing''.

On the point of her deleting comments that criticize her I remember last year (I think) she went on this really swanky holiday abroad with her boyf and was just posting pictures of her looking great in a bikini and drinking cocktails and people started to say things like 'you love yourself' and 'this is a fashion blog?'. She got sooo defensive and deleted every single comment that didnt read ''looking fab'' and ''sooo jel''.

It's all very false and high price designery stuff now plus a million inspirational quotes. It's not very accessible at all and I think its just making her removed from her readership who (if anything like me) shop in Pennys, new look, h&m. She was so good when she did those penny's blogs but now she's meh.

Also I think someone has definitely pointed this thread out to her, I've never seen her reply so much to fan's questions as recently! :P

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Has she mentioned this thread?I wonder would she join us here in the fashion forum!!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Ciara GaGa

As someone who's read her blog from the start, I think she's brilliant and fair play to her, she's really worked hard to get to where she is. I haven't got her book yet, but the reviews for it are quite good. I love how she mixes expensive pieces with bits from Penneys, H&M and Forever 21 in her OOTD's. And those who think she loves herself...there's nothing wrong with a little confidence!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

What wa her early stuff like?The facebook stuff gets some amount of clicks for poor content

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

Her earlier stuff was mainly affordable fashion from pennys etc and she used to put up videos on youtube of what she had pruchaed. these days it seems to be mainly designer clothing and pictures of her puppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Ciara GaGa

I hate to come across as a so sue me super fan haha, but I dunno I feel she hasn't changed THAT much sice she's started. Yeah, she def has a lot more designer pieces now but she still keeps it normal enough, like her latest OOTD was...
    'Top: Penneys // Leggings: American Apparel // Watch: Michael Kors // Shoes: Louboutins'
    ...a good mix if you ask me!

I know someone mentioned about the amount of gifts she recieves, and I think thats due to the fact that she does a lot of talks in schools and colleges around the country. Not only does she speak about blogging and social media, she also touches on confidence building and self esteem and I think a lot of young girls look up to her for that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I just never liked her style anyway. It's too "trendy". And not very...classy. Or interesting. She also wears way too much make-up for my liking! And not into the whole fake-tan thing. She's basically the complete opposite of what I look for in a fashion blog!

Then again, I know loads of girls that love that kinda style so I can see why she's so popular.

Again, just my personal opinion. Nothing against the girl. Just not my style..

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭gossipgirl10

I think part of the reason I've gone off it lately is how fanatical some of the followers are she could post a picture of anything at this stage and people will want it just because she has it... she posts an OOTD and the amount of comments from people going oh my god where did you get that cushion in the background or where are those wine glasses from is crazy... anything she mentions on the blog sells out instantly it seems so it's no wonder companies are sending her freebies which I think is fine as long as her reviews of the products are unbiased and she isn't claiming to love everything she reviews. But I still don't agree with taking expensive gifts from readers...

and inspirational posts become very uninspiring when they are posted constantly it's getting boring...

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭rawwrrrr

Definitely not a fan anymore. I think it's just ridiculous now, I used to like it but not anymore. For a start- the reviews section on her website- EVERYTHING SHE REVIEWED IS 5 OUT OF 5, I mean I know she obviously gets the products free but seriously?! Unreliable, definitely wouldn't rate any of her 'opinions' on makeup anyway! I think she's completely sold out- she sometimes has posts about insurance prices etc which are so obviously sponsored, she casually 'mentions' a so called great company that she uses and apparently is great value. I think she's totally sold out, I know a lot of bloggers would kill for her success and her obvious amount of freebies, but would still manage to stay to the 'point' of the beauty and fashion blog- give fair criticism when needed, and not because you want something free! I also find the website tacky and difficult to navigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

I just seen her book in Eason's €20 and it's as thin not much in it. Couldn't justify paying €20 for it

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

bulmersgal wrote: »
    I just seen her book in Eason's €20 and it's as thin not much in it. Couldn't justify paying €20 for it

Yea I had a flick through it recently. It seems to be more pictures than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

bulmersgal wrote: »

I can see what she'd even put into a book that couldn't/hasn't already been covered in her blog already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rachelanna

Agree with much of this. She has no individual style, no taste, no appreciation of haute couture, dress history, or true fashion sense.Extremely tacky at times. Her posts are awful and let's face it, Vogue won't headhunt her anytime soon.Her 15 minutes of fame are rapidly running out.Neon pink body con dresses? Come on!! Also, her boyfriend bares an uncanny similarity to Bruce Jenner, and that clear braces thing..??

What worries me more is the innane reception she receives from the average Irish Woman.."fab hun, fab sue". It worries me that the average Irish woman is now aspiring to be a materialistic and vapid entity- regramming empty motivational quotes and pictures of unicorns and smoothies! Now more than ever, we need women in Ireland in representitive roles and politics. Yes, her mindless twattering is everywhere at the moment, hopefully she will go away soon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I think her style is scangery and I don't think she's a good writer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Has she had a stroke?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

mitosis wrote: »
    Has she had a stroke?

No :confused:

Why do you ask that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

She definitely is not a talented writer, she really needs to do some sort of writing course- her grammar, etc is terrible at times.

Also it kind of bothers me that she seems to give everything she reviews 5/5.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Greenduck

I'm definitely 50/50 on this one! I follow her on Facebook and Instagram and find that I do read most of her reviews and have bought some items from her recommendations. I think she seems like a nice girl and probably speaks to her readers the way their friends do, that's why she is so popular! Her style is very mainstream and sometimes bordering on tacky but thats a matter of taste so she cant be judged on that.

What it increasingly annoying me is the self-indulgent/show-offy posts and pictures she is putting up. For example, she got a Louis V bag and I think I counted 10 different images she had managed to squeeze it into. The - 'Not only did I get one pair of Louboutins...I actually got three!'. Fair play to anyone who works hard to afford these nice things, but it doesn't endear her to me and its not what I want to read about when I have holes in my coat pockets and my penny's bag is on its last legs. Its almost like shes trying to make her readers jealous of her fabulous lifestyle and designer gear rather than inspire.

I often see girls comment..'wow your such an inspiration' or 'your who I want to be' etc etc and it makes me quite sad. These girls (young and old) idolise someone who places more importance on the newest designer items, or their new Audi than on self worth, intelligence or integrity. It seems its more important to have nice things, be slim, have the longest hair, the shortest skirt these days than anything else.

Thats just how things are these days though I suppose!

I will say one thing for her- she did a very good post before Christmas about buying a puppy ie what a huge responsibility they are and they are for life, not just for Christmas. She seems like a genuine responsible dog owner and gave good advice about how to find a good dog breeder. I'd like if she did more stuff like that- something slightly deeper than just clothes and makeup etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Great, thread so I'l add my 2 cents.

Really enjoyed Sue's earlier posts like a lot of readers but I have to agree that the substance seems to have greatly diminished of late. What I'm not liking is mainly

-Lack of fashion week updates, doesn't seem to have any actual technical knowledge of fashion
    -Kardashian wannabe. Gorgeous girl but the ridiculous extensions WAG look is a bit dated.
    -Clearly, a lot of posts are sponsored and blatantly so and biased so I find it difficult to trust reviews.
    -More fashion and less puppy / new desk / new phone posts would be great.
    -Terrible grammar.

I really do have a lot of admiration for how far Sue has gotten and her success within Ireland but I am beginning to slightly think that she has developed 'big fish, small pond' syndrome. She definitely knows that her market is predominantly teenage girls and has played to this (knock off Birkin) but the whole TOWIE look is getting dated and it would be great to see her evolve and actually develop as a blogger as recently some of the bodycon dresses posts in particular as just chavtastic and not remotely stylish.

I have also noticed the use of other images which clearly are not hers and not credited.....not a good look.

I never log onto her website, just facebook and despite the above, I do enjoy her updates but would love to see an improvement also.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭fits

Just clicked through to this for first time the other day. I did like the floral jumpsuit although I could never wear in a million years. Overall that whole concept of style is not mine. So its not for me. I'm just not into disposable clothes or louis Vuitton bags (i think obvious brands are tacky for most part).

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭gossipgirl10

Someone mentioned earlier that they thought someone must have told her about this thread that she was now replying to people a lot more than previously and I definitely noticed the same thing of late. But now I find it's gone too far in the other direction at times ie. someone comments on a picture saying "OMG where did you get your top??" and she will reply "penneys hun!" then a few comments later someone asks the same question again because they haven't bothered reading the other comments and again she replies "penneys hun xx". If you have answered a question once you don't have to keep answering it... Most bloggers will post a picture of an outfit and say Top Zara, skirt topshop etc as more than likely people will want to know where items are from and it's not practical to have to reply to every individual comment...

You will notice a distinct lack of replies though when someone asks her where she got something on a picture that she has copied from someone elses blog / pinterest...

Yeah she's definitely read the thread-she seems to spend her time posting passive aggressive images about "haters" to her instagram feed. Her brother and sister also openly attack anybody who criticises her on social media-adding to the tacky thing. They defo want a "keeping up with the jacksons" series I think- hilarious.

Great thread guys, about time negative attention was drawn to this materialistic and clearly self motivated and indulgent quest towards stardom (I just read about the gucci bangle-classy).Sickening.

rachelanna wrote: »
    about time negative attention was drawn to this materialistic and clearly self motivated and indulgent quest towards stardom (I just read about the gucci bangle-classy).Sickening.

That's a bit harsh. You could call any fashion/beauty blog a "materialistic and clearly self motivated and indulgent quest towards stardom".

SoSueMe.ie is not a beauty/fashion blog . It's a website about the life of some girl I'm sick of hearing about. No genuine beauty blogger grabs expensive bangles from their readers and then boasts about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

rachelanna wrote: »
    SoSueMe.ie is not a beauty/fashion blog . It's a website about the life of some girl I'm sick of hearing about. No genuine beauty blogger grabs expensive bangles from their readers and then boasts about it.

I have to say this really hasn't sat well with me. How could she except that??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement