Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCA/Fitness test

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Jb12345

Yeh I was at the information day when you could try everything including the push/pull machine. So was debating whether need to go to the familiarisation event but I think I will just to be 100% prepared.
    Ps that video seems exactly the same as what they had at the information day. So I'd watch it few more times!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TDA2

Jb12345 wrote: »
    Yeh I was at the information day when you could try everything including the push/pull machine. So was debating whether need to go to the familiarisation event but I think I will just to be 100% prepared.
    Ps that video seems exactly the same as what they had at the information day. So I'd watch it few more times!

So else thinks they're screwed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭pastiesupper

This is the PCA video from the PSNI website for the last campaign.

http://youtu.be/5GkfDxbfI_A

The guy completes the circuit in 56 seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭CallTheCobra

Is it three laps of the circuit in 3mins 43 seconds or less with 20 seconds on the push pull?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Is it three laps of the circuit in 3mins 43 seconds or less with 20 seconds on the push pull?

I believe the actual circuit time was in the process of being changed. So could be slightly more or less than previous tests.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,657 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

This is the PCA video from the PSNI website for the last campaign.

http://youtu.be/5GkfDxbfI_A

The guy completes the circuit in 56 seconds.
    It looks that way if you time it, but it's not real time that you're watching. There needed to be movement of cameras, and in certain places you can tell he was cued for. The one to the drag bag and the run from the first blue cone after the drag bag to the second is not continuous. He starts off sprinting, but in the next camera angle, he seems to be just jogging.

That's not to say that he couldn't complete it in time. I'm sure he could eat it up. What I'm saying is that this is a production film that was obviously done with several cameras and edited accordingly.

Speaking of the drag bag - it's best to keep it as low as possible. The higher you lift it, the more time you've wasted. The second you get that off the ground, get moving, and keep it low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Bob Law

We were given some paperwork advice on the the PCA.

If there a pre-assessment opportunity to do a dry run I'd be there with bells on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 LS7

Bob Law wrote: »
    We were given some paperwork advice on the the PCA.

If there a pre-assessment opportunity to do a dry run I'd be there with bells on.

When I received my invite for PCA there was information on a familiarisation event at the start of Feb so I'm sure they will be running these throughout. There is 3 sessions; morning, afternoon and evening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭pastiesupper

Shield wrote: »
    It looks that way if you time it, but it's not real time that you're watching. There needed to be movement of cameras, and in certain places you can tell he was cued for. The one to the drag bag and the run from the first blue cone after the drag bag to the second is not continuous. He starts off sprinting, but in the next camera angle, he seems to be just jogging.

Yeah, I did notice that, but I felt that they hadn't cut any parts out, so overall the timeline would have been reasonably accurate +-2secs maybe.

Speaking of the drag bag - it's best to keep it as low as possible. The higher you lift it, the more time you've wasted. The second you get that off the ground, get moving, and keep it low.

Have you got any more tips like this? Anything that can help would be much appreciated!! :)

Re: the weighted cones that you have to lift and move - have these been replaced by kettlebells? I am sure that somebody mentioned that kettlebells were used in the demo sessions.

I attended a demo session and it was kettle bells that were used, not weighted cones! Not sure if that's what they will use on the day but

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭El_Triboy

Got my letter this morning! Not too worried about it, I didn't go to the familiarization days before the competition started so I can judge the push/pull machine but I'm sure I'll be fine as long as I don't incur silly penalties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭19087

Thanks for posting the video - whilst I believe it is slightly different now, it's good to see the general idea of what it entails. I've been mostly going with circuits and running as my prep, and I'll be stepping up my training regime now in preparation! Whilst the running is great, I think the explosive stuff in circuits will be the best training for the PCA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭picture987

Does anybody think we're going to get to attempt the PCA at the familiarisation event? I know we couldn't at the one prior to the recruitment process. The main reason I'm asking is because I want to know what to wear. Don't want turn up in trainers, running leggings etc to just sit and watch demos!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 policehopeful

vetting question for anyone that has filled in the form before.......does a temp university address used during week nights during term time need to be noted?

picture987 wrote: »
    Does anybody think we're going to get to attempt the PCA at the familiarisation event? I know we couldn't at the one prior to the recruitment process. The main reason I'm asking is because I want to know what to wear. Don't want turn up in trainers, running leggings etc to just sit and watch demos!

I would imagine so, it wouldn't new much of a familiarization if you couldn't have a go at some parts. I would hazard a guess that you'll be able to try the push/pull at the very least. After all, they don't want people who have come this far too fail so letting them have a go at it would increase their chances of passing, or let them know which areas to focus their training on before the real thing

How much notice are you getting between the practice and the pca?

TDA2 wrote: »
    How much notice are you getting between the practice and the pca?

Seems to be 2/3 weeks

How's the training going for everyone for the physical? Can't see it being too bad as long as you have a reasonable level of fitness!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,657 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Forget about being fit. Policing requires a different kind of fitness. You could run a marathon and still fail the PCA. You need to have anaerobic training under your belt, and be used to physical exercise without a whole load of oxygen going in. It's not about endurance, so don't be caught out just because you can run 5 miles. Also, remember the 10-second time penalty for each bar knocked off, each cone moved, or if you lose your balance on the balance beam. They all add up if you're name is Clumsy McStaggerTrip!

Forget about being fit. Policing requires a different kind of fitness. You could run a marathon and still fail the PCA. You need to have anaerobic training under your belt, and be used to physical exercise without a whole load of oxygen going in. It's not about endurance, so don't be caught out just because you can run 5 miles. Also, remember the 10-second time penalty for each bar knocked off, each cone moved, or if you lose your balance on the balance beam. They all add up if you're name is Clumsy McStaggerTrip!

Does that mean smoking is back on the menu... Best way I know of not getting oxygen in!

• Advertisement

I've never seen anyone spark up just before they're about to start the PCA, but if you think that'll help you pass, off you go.. and don't forget to let us know if it helped or not! You may have a truly original idea there pal!

If I thought I could do it on the way round I'd have a go! Maybe get a few time bonuses for it! Damn these anti smoking laws! I'll stick to the vaporiser just in case. I'll probably be more out of breath after than when I suffered altitude sickness at 19000ft, but it'll only be temporary.

Seriously - do not underestimate the PCA. It winds you. The stopping and starting. People aren't prepared for it and that makes them careless.

Do this:

Get on a treadmill and warm up with a 1% incline and a 5-minute walk at 6kmph, then, walk for one minute @ 6kmph, then after 60 seconds, sprint for one minute @ 16kmph. Repeat this 6 times. After your 6th 1-minute sprint, reduce your walk time down to 30 seconds @ 6kmph, then after those 30 seconds, sprint @ 16kmph for 30 seconds. Repeat 6 times. After your 6th 30-second sprint, reduce your walk time down to 10 seconds @ 6kmph, then after those 10 seconds, sprint @16kmph for 10 seconds. Repeat 6 times. After your last 10-second sprint, bring the treadmill down to 4.5kmph for 2 minutes.

Next:
    Get on a rower. The Concept II being the rower of choice for anyone.
    Row at a leisurely pace at Level 10 for one minute, then after 60 seconds, go hell for leather like your life depended on it for 60 seconds. Repeat 6 times. Then as above with the treadmill, after the 6th sprint-row, row leisurely for 30 seconds, and as soon as second 31 displays, you go at it again like a madman for 30 seconds. Repeat 6 times. After the 6th 30-second lunatic row, bring your leisurely rows down to 10 seconds, then 10 seconds like your life depended on it... you guessed it... Repeat 6 times. After your 6th 10-second crazy-man row, reduce the Level 10 to Level 2, row for 5 minutes at a slow pace. It should take you 5 seconds to reach out, and 5 seconds to pull back. This is your cool down.

Do your stretches after you cool down, and if you can complete the above, you're ready for the PCA.

Some decide to start on a Rower, some decide to start on a Treadmill. It's a personal choice, but make sure you do both, even if it means reducing 6 reps down to 3 at the start. The reduction to 30 seconds, and then 10 will tell you how well your body is prepared to take on the likes of the PCA.

This is a well-known program, and more or less guarantees that your body will be ready for the PCA if you can get in 6 reps at 1 minute, 30 seconds and 10 seconds on both rower and treadmill.

Give it a go, but be careful at the same time. If you're not already fit, then do the Couch to 5k running program for beginners.

Good luck!

Sorry I didn't mean fit as in only incorporating running into your training! I think fitness involves both weights (physical aspect) and a form of cardio (cardiovascular aspect). I have been training in weights 4-5 times a week with a Ju Jitsu and Kickboxing class as well once a week which are excellent for cardio! I know what it's like without a lot of oxygen going in at times lol. Do you know off hand what the time limit is for the PCA and on the familiarisation day if you get to do a trial run?

Thanks

3:43 including all time penalties incurred. I don't believe you get a trial run. The Cube it ain't!

3:43 including all time penalties incurred. I don't believe you get a trial run. The Cube it ain't!

Although with the introduction of the extra obstacle (6ft wall type thing) surely the time will have to be longer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭gmck26

19087 wrote: »
    Although with the introduction of the extra obstacle (6ft wall type thing) surely the time will have to be longer?

What extra obstacle is this? I am looking at the leaflet now and it looks exactly the same as the one I completed two years ago.

gmck26 wrote: »
    What extra obstacle is this? I am looking at the leaflet now and it looks exactly the same as the one I completed two years ago.

How did you find it for time when you done it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭gmck26

How did you find it for time when you done it?

I found it fine. They difficulty with time was that you were not permitted to wear a watch and were given no indication of how much time you had left. But if you go at a steady pace being careful not to make mistakes it should be good enough.

• Advertisement

gmck26 wrote: »
    I found it fine. They difficulty with time was that you were not permitted to wear a watch and were given no indication of how much time you had left. But if you go at a steady pace being careful not to make mistakes it should be good enough.

Thanks, one more question if you don't mind? Iv read about people having difficultly with the starting and stopping element? I thought it was a continuous 3 laps of the course then 20seconds on the push pull?

Advertisement