Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think the Iona Institute are homophobic?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

No
    I asked why we should change it when the system we have works, and has been proven to work for centuries. I then went on to contextualise the statement by saying that same sex partnership legislation would cover the rights issue.

And as I pointed out afterward, the rights and responsibilities of marriage can only be given through marriage. The Constitution won't allow for an equivalent system.

And, as I also said, if you're okay with gay couples having the same rights and duties of marriage, then the simplest and most efficient way to do that is to let them marry. Having separate but identical systems and laws is needless duplication. I can see no reason why taxpayers should fund a system the sole purpose of which would be to appease those who object to treating gay couples as equals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

No
    Marriage is being changed nodin. Thats why were having a referendum :rolleyes:

Still time wasting and evasive. This is the discussion we are having. Don't like it. Don't post. Simples.

No, it's not. You really will have to stop that hysterical downfall of society stuff, it's doing you no favours.

I'm guessing you didn't spend your time away looking for a rational reason to oppose gay marriage, did you? By all means, prove me wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

No
    They are. Thats the problem. Dispite the remarks on the opening page of the thread moderators have insisted on letting abuse, insulting language and degrading comments from one side ruin what should be an interesting discussion.

Bullying and name calling is a form of censorship. Its putting people off talking about the subject.

Being anti gay marriage isn't homophobic.
    Erm, report offending posts? Calling something for what it is,is not censorship however demanding for such people to be silenced is censorship. This is exactly what Iona did. Inexplicable objections to something with no rational basis is being phobic of something. :)
    I asked why we should change it when the system we have works, and has been proven to work for centuries. I then went on to contextualise the statement by saying that same sex partnership legislation would cover the rights issue.
    Will marriage cease to work when same sex couples marry? Bizarre argument as per usual. 'Just, no!' appears to be a summary of it. Explain how your virulent opposition is logical.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Ah jaysus, not this $hite again....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

No
    Nodin wrote: »
    Why are you against gay marriage Phill? Please explain.
    You're asking the million dollar question here. Series finale stuff. I doubt you'll ever get an honest answer.

Why are people still giving Phill the entertainment he wants...seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 alcof89

No
    Will I get sued for voting yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

NuMarvel wrote: »
    And as I pointed out afterward, the rights and responsibilities of marriage can only be given through marriage. The Constitution won't allow for an equivalent system.

And, as I also said, if you're okay with gay couples having the same rights and duties of marriage, then the simplest and most efficient way to do that is to let them marry. Having separate but identical systems and laws is needless duplication. I can see no reason why taxpayers should fund a system the sole purpose of which would be to appease those who object to treating gay couples as equals.

We have separate and identical system all over every government department. Duplication and added expense is guaranteed with every new addition. When the health boards were abolished, when Irish water was formed etc...

I can appreciate that you see no reason. That's why people like me are explaining it to you. The system we have at the minute works. Its proven science. A well laid foundation. Call it whatever you want.

We don't need to change it. So why would we?

No
    We have separate and identical system all over every government department. Duplication and added expense is guaranteed with every new addition. When the health boards were abolished, when Irish water was formed etc...

I can appreciate that you see no reason. That's why people like me are explaining it to you. The system we have at the minute works. Its proven science. A well laid foundation. Call it whatever you want.

It doesn't work for gay people, does it? Because gay people are a minority, does that mean they don't count?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

No

Is this science peer reviewed?

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Erm, report offending posts?

I have done. See the result?

Calling something for what it is,i

Again. Opposition to gay marriage isn't homophobic.
    demanding for such people to be silenced is censorship.

Which is whats happening here.......
    Just, no!' appears to be a summary of it.

Either you cannot read or do not want to contribute. You're going on ignore. That solves the problem.

• Advertisement

alcof89 wrote: »
    It doesn't work for gay people, does it? Because gay people are a minority, does that mean they don't count?

Polygamists are a bigger minority so they should get a say too, no? Is satisfying a minority always the best thing to do for a society? I dunno. Lets discuss.

No
    Polygamists are a bigger minority so they should get a say too, no? Is satisfying a minority always the best thing to do for a society? I dunno. Lets discuss.
    Oh jesus. Please. Stop it already. It's painful at this stage.

Can people stop responding to an obvious troll?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

No

Yes on a topic about polygamy not equal marriage.

No
    Daith wrote: »
    Yes on a topic about polygamy not equal marriage.
    This has been said about 50 times. As long as people keep saying what you just said and responding, it's going to be brought up again, and again, and again, and again...

No
    Cydoniac wrote: »
    This has been said about 50 times. As long as people keep saying what you just said and responding, it's going to be brought up again, and again, and again, and again...

Phill will just change the topic again. He's unable to give any argument explaining why the Iona crowd aren't a bunch of homophobes.

No
    Phill will just change the topic again. He's unable to give any argument explaining why the Iona crowd aren't a bunch of homophobes.
    Stop replying to him then! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

No

That is if he hasn't put you on his ignore list already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

No

That's not your call

No

Nah he's like a practice run when you just knock back his "arguments". It's useful for when you actually end up debating with Iona and their ilk :)

No
    Nah he's like a practice run when you just knock back his "arguments". It's useful for when you actually end up debating with Iona and their ilk :)
    I hope to never have to confront one of them...I wouldn't be able to handle it to be honest.

• Advertisement

No
    I hope to never have to confront one of them...I wouldn't be able to handle it to be honest.

I'm not entirely sure what their approach is now. I suspect when the bill about joint adoption is being debated you'll hear from them en masse

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

No
    One word answer.

Will you vote for or against the referendum on gay marriage in 2015?

No
    david75 wrote: »
    One word answer.

Will you vote for or against the referendum on gay marriage in 2015?
    For.

Even if I never get married, I think it's an important step towards legal equality.

No

The fact they have no argument helps your case! Of course they will bring up children - i sometimes forget that when two men get married, it allows one of them to carry a child (another one of their irrelevant, sidetracking arguments of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I'm not entirely sure what their approach is now. I suspect when the bill about joint adoption is being debated you'll hear from them en masse

Bit like the civil partnership bill, Ronan Mullen and a few FF and FG'ers will get their spoke in. I doubt we'll get Lucinda Creighton levels of protest, I just don't think TD's will see it as a big vote winner come General election time, unlike abortion.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

No
    For.

Even if I never get married, I think it's an important step towards legal equality.

That's a great point. On a macro level it's important any population takes whatever opportunity it can to ensure equality and rights for all, given that the way things are going the red tape and legislation and beuracracy is forcibly hemming us all in more and more and more each year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

I think a lot of them are closet homosexuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭eorpach

With me?

Also. I argued that if we're going to have a referendum on marriage equality, then lets have it. Lets include polygamy as it is more popular than gay marriage.

With me still?

As a sideline argument posters but forward the very important issue of fathers rights which are currently being ignored by the state. Any new legislation needs to take into account these rights as a matter of urgency.

Right Phil Ewinn, lets discuss:

For any society or system to function effectively, there has to be checks and balances that protect the rights of the minority. It is for this reason that where there is marriage, there needs to be divorce; where there is a Church, there needs to be a State, where there is an Executive, there needs to be an independent Judiciary, and so on. History is littered with "proof" that minority interests cannot (and should not) be subjugated by the majority. To do so sows the seeds of discontentment that ultimately results in societal upheaval. That much, is, incontrovertible historical fact.

Take your example of marriage working so well for so long Phil Ewinn; why then does every nation on Earth (bar the Holy See and the Philippines) make provision for its dissolution (divorce), including Ireland?

By your token, should the minority Irish population in the majority British State have simply accepted that the Act of Union should be retained, on the basis that the (British) majority considered (from their historical perspective) that the United Kingdom of Britain and Ireland "worked" ?? I'm sure if you could ask anybody in Ireland touched by the Famine, they've had felt differently...

The simple fact is that the majority always believes that any system which is constituted in such a way as to be deferential to a majority "works"; until there comes a time when it doesn't. Contrast:
    • Whites and Slaves
    • Landowners with the Vote against Tenants without the Vote
    • Universal Suffrage if you're male vs Democratic exclusion if you're not,
    • Full-participation in society if you're able-bodied vs lesser participation if you're disabled.

All of the above are examples of "arrangements" which existed for centuries, did they "work"? Should we, the "majority" revert to them???

Consider, by analogy:

You (or a dependent of yours) is physically disabled, and you (or that dependent) are legally denied some of the opportunities that your sibling, (or your sibling's child) take for granted, e.g. full participation in education. Would you be so accepting of the status quo, then? After all, it is only in the past 20 years in this country that this State has actively sought to integrate special-needs children with their able-bodied counterparts in the classroom - we separated physically-disabled children from society by putting them into "special" schools for long enough, should we rollback to that??

My basic point is, every society needs to promote and cherish the position of the minority. It is the hallmark of an enlightened society, and it enriches us all.

Finally, as to your assumption that legislation would be sufficient. Might I ask, do you have any legal training?

The simple fact is that legislation is not a sufficient guarantor of rights under Ireland's parliamentary democratic system, since legislation is ALWAYS to be interpreted by the Courts in conformance with the 1937 Constitution and what the Courts consider to be the prevailing public morality. Add to that the fact that legislation can be changed by any future parliamentary majority; the Constitution cannot. For these facts alone, only a Constitutional amendment stating the clear will of the Irish People is a sufficient legal guarantee for the minority disenfranchised by the prevailing system of marriage, i.e. gay people.

You have the comfort of being a part of a majority in this society on this issue, Phil Ewinn, which puts an added onus on you to consider the perspective of the minority, not to dismiss it. Please do so sincerely when you go to the Ballot Box; do not be so dismissive as to blithely point at "the centuries" and walk away. If you intend to be a sincere and mature participant in democratic society, please behave like one.

(Sorry for such a long post folks, but some people in the majority need the position of the minority spelt out in really tedious detail in order to grasp why the majority-situation is really not a sufficient position in the first place.)

No
    eorpach wrote: »
    Not with you at all Phil Ewinn, no. Here's why:

For any society or system to function effectively, there has to be checks and balances that protect the rights of the minority. It is for this reason that where there is marriage, there needs to be divorce; where there is a Church, there needs to be a State, where there is an Executive, there needs to be an independent Judiciary, and so on. History is littered with "proof" that minority interests cannot (and should not) be subjugated by the majority. To do so sows the seeds of discontentment that ultimately results in societal upheaval. That much, is, incontrovertible historical fact.

Take your example of marriage working so well for so long Phil Ewinn; why then does every nation on Earth (bar the Holy See and the Philippines) make provision for its dissolution (divorce), including Ireland?

By your token, should the minority Irish population in the majority British State have simply accepted that the Act of Union should be retained, on the basis that the (British) majority considered (from their historical perspective) that the United Kingdom of Britain and Ireland "worked" ?? I'm sure if you could ask anybody in Ireland touched by the Famine, they've had felt differently...

The simple fact is that the majority always believes that any system which is constituted in such a way as to be deferential to a majority "works"; until there comes a time when it doesn't. Contrast:
    • Whites and Slaves
    • Landowners with the Vote against Tenants without the Vote
    • Universal Suffrage if you're male vs Democratic exclusion if you're not,
    • Full-participation in society if you're able-bodied people vs lesser participation if you're disabled.

All of the above are examples of "arrangements" which existed for centuries, did they "work"? Should we, the "majority" revert to them???

Consider, by analogy:

You (or a dependent of yours) is physically disabled, and you (or that dependent) are legally denied some of the opportunities that your sibling, (or your sibling's child) take for granted, e.g. full participation in education. Would you be so accepting of the status quo, then? After all, it is only in the past 20 years in this country that this State has actively sought to integrate special-needs children with their able-bodied counterparts in the classroom - we separated physically-disabled children from society by putting them into "special" schools for long enough, should we rollback to that??

My basic point is, every society needs to promote and cherish the position of the minority. It is the hallmark of an enlightened society, and it enriches us all.

Finally, as to your assumption that legislation would be sufficient. Might I ask, do you have any legal training?

The simple fact is that legislation is not a sufficient guarantor of rights under Ireland's parliamentary democratic system, since legislation is ALWAYS to be interpreted by the Courts in conformance with the 1937 Constitution and what Courts consider prevailing public morality. Add to that the fact that legislation can be changed by any future parliamentary majority; the Constitution cannot. For these fact alone, only a Constitutional amendment stating the clear will of the Irish People is a sufficient legal guarantee for the minority disenfranchised by the prevailing system of marriage, i.e. gay people.

You have the comfort of being a part of a majority in this society on this issue, Phil Ewinn, which puts an added onus on you to consider the perspective of the minority, not to dismiss it. Please do so sincerely when you go to the Ballot Box, do not be so dismissive as to blithely point at "the centuries".

Sorry for such a long post folks, but some people in the majority need the position of the minority spelt out in really tedious detail in order to grasp why the majority-situation is really not a sufficient position in the first place.

Beyond excellent post eorpach. Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I hope the "Iona's" weren't watching the Grammy's :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6OVxPiZQDc

Watch all the way to the end!
    One of the most joyous things I've seen in ages

Advertisement