Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think the Iona Institute are homophobic?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

No
    Cydoniac wrote: »
    A lot of people are quite against the likes of gay men holding hands and kissing because it makes them feel sick apparently... (I don't mention women because while its still put in the same regard, people seem to have way less of a problem with it. I have seen lesbian couples many times on Dame St in evening time and nobody seems to throw any disgusting looks. Have two men and suddenly...)

On a related note, RTE have put themselves in an awful position by bending to Iona's will so readily. Shows how easily they can be manipulated, and that is very worrying.

Imagine if they simply didn't pander to those with such an issue. It really is one of those things that is required as a part of progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

No
    Corkfeen wrote: »
    Imagine if they simply didn't pander to those with such an issue. It really is one of those things that is required as a part of progress.
    It was John Waters this time, next time it could be Breda O Brien petitoning a piece out of the Times, and so on. Never underestimate the level of influence these guys get; if you give them an inch, they will go a mile.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 george_lucas

It was John Waters this time, next time it could be Breda O Brien petitoning a piece out of the Times, and so on. Never underestimate the level of influence these guys get; if you give them an inch, they will go a mile.

conservative voices are pretty rare in irish media circles , its important that a sizeable proportion of the public are represented on the airwaves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

It doesn't matter, they should be allowed to air their views. Regardless, I think their legal threats were a complete joke, free speech goes both ways.

No
    conservative voices are pretty rare in irish media circles , its important that a sizeable proportion of the public are represented on the airwaves
    I think it's important to hear everyone's view on the matter, be it tasteful or distasteful, as long as it carries in some boundaries of self respect. We're currently in a situation where people like John Waters, Brenda Power, etc are free to make whatever remarks about an issue without any resistance (with groups like Iona getting unprecedented show time), while someone like Rory O Neill who defends his views and carries a balanced counter-argument is immediately blacked out because someone shouted wolf. I think something like that should have RTE very worried to be not seen as biased, as their decisions in particular can massively affect the outcome of people's opinions about certain topics (Leo Varadkar blamed RTE for having an overly liberal bias during the abortion discussions on Prime Time, for example)

• Advertisement

I think it's important to hear everyone's view on the matter, be it tasteful or distasteful, as long as it carries in some boundaries of self respect. We're currently in a situation where people like John Waters, Brenda Power, etc are free to make whatever remarks about an issue without any resistance (with groups like Iona getting unprecedented showtime), while someone like Rory O Neill who defends his views and carries a balanced counter-argument is immediately blacked out because someone shouted wolf. I think something like that should have RTE very worried to be not seen as biased, as their decisions in particular can massively affect the outcome of people's opinions about certain topics (Leo Varadkar blamed RTE for having an overly liberal bias during the abortion discussions on Prime Time, for example)

many people would share leo varadkars views on rte , I wouldn't limit that accusation to the abortion debate either

No
    many people would share leo varadkars views on rte , I wouldn't limit that accusation to the abortion debate either
    Do you see the point I am making though? A lot of people will ride their opinion on media outlets, and RTE should be giving both sides a fair discussion. The censorship attacks on Rory O Neill had no backing and RTE showed a degree of spinelessness by being so quick to apologise on Iona's behalf (because let's not have any misconceptions here, it was primarily Iona who had an issue with that segment, hence the 4 letters) and then apologise for the God Hour tweet.

It was a panic reaction really, no rationale.

How is someone like Rory O Neill going to be taken seriously to the average person at home not really clued in on the subject? "Oh, he was censored, so he must have said something wrong"

Do you see the point I am making though? A lot of people will ride their opinion on media outlets, and RTE should be giving both sides a fair discussion. The censorship attacks on Rory O Neill had no backing and RTE showed a degree of spinelessness by being so quick to apologise on Iona's behalf (because let's not have any misconceptions here, it was primarily Iona who had an issue with that segment, hence the 4 letters) and then apologise for the God Hour tweet.

It was a panic reaction really, no rationale.

How is someone like Rory O Neill going to be taken seriously to the average person at home not really clued in on the subject? "Oh, he was censored, so he must have said something wrong"

I have no clue who rory o neill is , I never heard of him before this thread

I don't think this is a big issue either way or that it will influence the gay marriage referendum next year

I predict the referendum will pass but I imagine it will be along the lines of 52 - 48 %

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

No
    Don't tell the Bride featured a gay couple the other night on RTE.

No
    I have no clue who rory o neill is , I never heard of him before this thread

I don't think this is a big issue either way or that it will influence the gay marriage referendum next year

I predict the referendum will pass but I imagine it will be along the lines of 52 - 48 %
    You should probably do some research then. He's a pretty important figure in this argument and for gay rights here, and hosts Pride along with doing a slew of other things. It is a big issue, and what RTE did could easily sway a vote, which is why I think it was irresponsible.

Hard to predict how this will go...hoping it passes myself, and then people will realise the world didn't collapse into hell.

• Advertisement

You should probably do some research then. He's a pretty important figure in this argument and for gay rights here, and hosts Pride along with doing a slew of other things. It is a big issue, and what RTE did could easily sway a vote, which is why I think it was irresponsible.

Hard to predict how this will go...hoping it passes myself, and then people will realise the world didn't collapse into hell.

a lot of people ( including myself ) are indifferent to any referendum , I suspect the turnout will include a lot of idealogues on both sides but the YES side could make a mistake by trying to silence opposition

most people wont be embarrassed into voting YES by self declared enlightened progressives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

No
    a lot of people ( including myself ) are indifferent to any referendum , I suspect the turnout will include a lot of idealogues on both sides but the YES side could make a mistake by trying to silence opposition

most people wont be embarrassed into voting YES by self declared enlightened progressives

the yes side aren't censoring the No side!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

No

Do I need to remind you it is a closed ballot .How can someone be embarrassed ??

No

Not sure what to make of either your first or last post. People will vote what they personally feel is right.

Are you doing a Phill on us? :pac:

marienbad wrote: »
    Do I need to remind you it is a closed ballot .How can someone be embarrassed ??

not what I meant , I mean the YES side will have little success from shouting accusations of bigotry at those who are unenthusiastic about gay marriage , I mean during the canvassing stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭whats the point

efb wrote: »

OHH yes they are! Who on the no side on this thread alone, has not been labeled as homophobic? And have their opinion dismissed and laughed at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

No
    OHH yes they are! Who on the no side on this thread alone, has not been labeled as homophobic? And have their opinion dismissed and laughed at.

thats not censoring, it pulling apart of facile arguments

No
    Being a homophobe =/= censorship.

No worse than calling someone a 'liberal fascist' or thereabouts.

If you make a point, won't stand on it, or back it up, then yes, you will be dismissed, no matter whose 'side' you're on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

No
    I thought, through the entire thread, it's been more like a consistent demand for a single decent rational argument against. The No side seems to me to be relying on bunch of rubbish masquerading as arguments. "I don't like it. It makes me uncomfortable. I don't approve. It's not traditional. I find it disgusting. And they're my opinions and THEY'RE VALID JUST BECAUSE!" Then there's the Iona Institute who don't understand the idea of a separation of church and state, despite the bible itself saying the two should be separate. I don't think religious belief should be a factor in a discussion that may involve changing the constitution. Opinions are dismissed and laughed at generally when they have no solid basis in reason. I've yet to see a decent rational opinion as to why gay marriage shouldn't be allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

No
    thats not censoring, it pulling apart of facile arguments

...in cases where we could get what the argument actually was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

They are. Thats the problem. Dispite the remarks on the opening page of the thread moderators have insisted on letting abuse, insulting language and degrading comments from one side ruin what should be an interesting discussion.

Bullying and name calling is a form of censorship. Its putting people off talking about the subject.

Being anti gay marriage isn't homophobic.

No
    They are. Thats the problem. Dispite the remarks on the opening page of the thread moderators have insisted on letting abuse, insulting language and degrading comments from one side ruin what should be an interesting discussion.

Bullying and name calling is a form of censorship. Its putting people off talking about the subject.

Why are you against gay marriage Phill? Please explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

No

Do you differentiate between civil marriage and Christian marriage ?

What is your view on marriage between divorced couples ?

mickstupp wrote: »
    I thought, through the entire thread, it's been more like a consistent demand for a single decent rational argument against. The No side seems to me to be relying on bunch of rubbish masquerading as arguments. "I don't like it. It makes me uncomfortable. I don't approve. It's not traditional. I find it disgusting. And they're my opinions and THEY'RE VALID JUST BECAUSE!" Then there's the Iona Institute who don't understand the idea of a separation of church and state, despite the bible itself saying the two should be separate. I don't think religious belief should be a factor in a discussion that may involve changing the constitution. Opinions are dismissed and laughed at generally when they have no solid basis in reason. I've yet to see a decent rational opinion as to why gay marriage shouldn't be allowed.

I asked why we should change it when the system we have works, and has been proven to work for centuries. I then went on to contextualise the statement by saying that same sex partnership legislation would cover the rights issue.

With me?

Also. I argued that if we're going to have a referendum on marriage equality, then lets have it. Lets include polygamy as it is more popular than gay marriage.

With me still?

As a sideline argument posters but forward the very important issue of fathers rights which are currently being ignored by the state. Any new legislation needs to take into account these rights as a matter of urgency.

Nodin wrote: »
    Why are you against gay marriage Phill? Please explain.

I asked you questions earlier on on the subject which you ignored or evaded. Why would I answer your questions?

No
    I asked why we should change it when the system we have works, and has been proven to work for centuries. I then went on to contextualise the statement by saying that same sex partnership legislation would cover the rights issue. .

Marriage is being extended, not changed.

Also. I argued that if we're going to have a referendum on marriage equality, then lets have it. Lets include polygamy as it is more popular than gay marriage. .

Irrelevant and a diversion.
    As a sideline argument posters but forward the very important issue of fathers rights which are currently being ignored by the state. Any new legislation needs to take into account these rights as a matter of urgency.

Irrelevant and a diversion

No
    I asked you questions earlier on on the subject which you ignored or evaded. Why would I answer your questions?

Don't lie phill.

Why are you against gay marriage?

Nodin wrote: »
    Marriage is being extended, not changed.

Irrelevant and a diversion.

Irrelevant and a diversion

Marriage is being changed nodin. Thats why were having a referendum :rolleyes:

Still time wasting and evasive. This is the discussion we are having. Don't like it. Don't post. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,024 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No

Still time wasting and evasive. This is the discussion we are having. Don't like it. Don't post. Simples.

Nothing is changing about marriage. Nothing.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

No

Why are you against gay marriage phill?

Advertisement