Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Telephone cable damage/maintainance

• 23-01-2014 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi, I live in the Cabra area of sunny Dublin 7

I have a pair of what I think are telephone cables running diagonally from a pole on the street to the corner of my house. They appear to run under my guttering to the back and then cut diagonally above and through the garden to another pole at the back of the property. I havent had a chance to examine them in the daylight hours but i am not even sure if they enter my house at all.

One of these cables has come loose above my garden, probably after the stormy weather and is caught on a hedge (about 10' above the ground so it's clear of anyone walking underneath). I was wondering if anyone knows who is responsible for the maintainance of these old telephone wires (if this is what it is) as I would like it removed.

Dublin city council seem to be in charge of lights and pavements, so should I be calling eircom ?

Any advice or information on this would be very much appreciated.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Madbod wrote: »
    Dublin city council seem to be in charge of lights and pavements, so should I be calling eircom ?

Eircom doesn't own the "last mile" any more, so you'll contact the service provider (may be eircom, may not).

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

antoobrien wrote: »
    Eircom doesn't own the "last mile" any more
    Invariably they do. What makes you think they don't?

Victor wrote: »
    Invariably they do. What makes you think they don't?

Local loop unbundling - unless they've undone that. The lines (last I heard) were the responsibility of the service provider (who may have to get eircom to do a fix).

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Madbod

Thanks for the replies

the cables are attached to an older, shorter pole which doesn't seem to lead anywhere else (though other cables attach to other houses from it) so i am thinking this broken line might not even be in use any more

i think i will phone UPC first (they provide my TV, landline and interweb in a nice tidy bundle) and see if they want to send someone out..

cheers

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Local loop unbundling - unless they've undone that. The lines (last I heard) were the responsibility of the service provider (who may have to get eircom to do a fix).

That's not what LLU means. Nothing of that kind happened either. Eircom own the last mile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

think i will phone UPC first (they provide my TV, landline and interweb in a nice tidy bundle) and see if they want to send someone out..

Why are you telephoning UPC when it is a telephone wire?? You might as well call Bord Gais.
    Ring Eircom, although you may have to find out who to call exactly.
    That's not what LLU means. Nothing of that kind happened either. Eircom own the last mile

Exactly. LLU means more that what the last mile is connected to is unbundled.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

No it doesn't, all telephone lines in Ireland are owned by Eircom [1]

LLU just means that another provider like BT (resold as Vodafone) just put their own DSLAM equipment in the local exchange and connect from the exchange to their own fibre backbone.

The actual last mile continues to be owned by Eircom and the LLU provider pays Eircom for it's use and maintenance. If there is a fault on the line, then yes you can contact your own provider, but they will log the fault with Eircom Networks, who will do the actual repair work.

[1] Well most of them, there are a small number of buildings where the cabling is owned by Smart Telecom, Magnet or a similar company, where they do FTTB.

bk wrote: »
    LLU just means that another provider like BT (resold as Vodafone) just put their own DSLAM equipment in the local exchange and connect from the exchange to their own fibre backbone.

BT liked to (try) do their own repairs for a while (on lines not backbone).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

bk wrote: »
    No it doesn't, all telephone lines in Ireland are owned by Eircom [1]

[1] Well most of them, there are a small number of buildings where the cabling is owned by Smart Telecom, Magnet or a similar company, where they do FTTB.

There's a huge number of buildings in Ireland where the cabling is owned by the owner of the building, Éircom only own to the first connection point in your house, as they will be happy to point out, if there is ever an issue inside this connection....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

There's a huge number of buildings in Ireland where the cabling is owned by the owner of the building, Éircom only own to the first connection point in your house, as they will be happy to point out, if there is ever an issue inside this connection....

Yes, of course that is what I meant, Eircom own the line up as far as the first entry point in the building. Inside the building itself, the wiring is all up to the building owner, though you can of course pay Eircom to look after that too.

This is actually true for ordinary homes too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Madbod

Ok thanks again

Eircom it is

Advertisement