Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free 4G service for Three Customers for 6 months

Options
  • 21-01-2014 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭

http://www.three.ie/explore/4G/index.html

Due to launch on the 27th January, Three are offering 6 months free 4G service to Prepay and Bill Customers. Seems pretty decent, even to just try it out. After that, it'll cost €4.99 (for Bill customers, on top of their existing Bill I'm guessing) for the service which seems pretty competitive.

Been with Three for 2 and half years myself. Not one issue with them. Wouldn't go near Vodafone or O2 again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Fantastic. I have been with them for years and I can't recommend them enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

It should be free, surely?

It's an evolution of their data service, which will eventually replace 3G. Just like E-Fibre is priced similarly to how broadband has always been priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

jenno86 wrote: »
    Fantastic. I have been with them for years and I can't recommend them enough!
    Same. Vodafone and O2 still bewilder me as to how much they continue to rip people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭tonic wine

4G network covergae doesn't look that great looking at the map.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

tonic wine wrote: »
    4G network covergae doesn't look that great looking at the map.

Three coverage never was great. Ironically when the network first rolled out here in 2005 we could pick up 3G out here and it wasn't that bad until 2009. My area is in the NBS and all we can get is 2G on Three. I live in tiny village in Mid Tipperary we already have 4G on Meteor and Vodafone before most major towns not bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Ridiculous that they would charge for this, its a simple evolution of a technology standard, typical rip off republic, squeeze the feckers for everything

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Stuxnet wrote: »
    Ridiculous that they would charge for this, its a simple evolution of a technology standard, typical rip off republic, squeeze the feckers for everything
    Meteor and EMobile seem to have 4G specific plans which cost more than their normal plans from what I can tell, so this is really inline with what the others are at. It was the same when 3G was launched in Ireland, it cost more for the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

switched to 3 yesterday, whoop!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Ah now, let's not do the rip off republic thing, the rates across the UK and US are mental too.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Already pay 55 a month, feck paying 5 more. Tbh, I reckon the 3g/H/H+ coverage could be a lot better even around dublin. They'd be better off improving that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

o2expires end of Jan. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

It's an evolution of their data service, which will eventually replace 3G. Just like E-Fibre is priced similarly to how broadband has always been priced.
    4g seems to be a real battery drainer according to most reviews, wish someone would sort out decent battery life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Already pay 55 a month, feck paying 5 more. Tbh, I reckon the 3g/H/H+ coverage could be a lot better even around dublin. They'd be better off improving that.

Why would you pay 55 a month, its 30 a month for unlimited everything

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

drumswan wrote: »
    Why would you pay 55 a month, its 30 a month for unlimited everything

He has a fancy phone to pay for with that tarriff:D.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Wish I had a 4G phone right about now. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Beadyeye

Quick question, does anyone know what happens if you want to avail of 4g offer but don't have a 4g phone (have a galaxy s3). Coming to the end of a 2 year contract in August.... Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Beadyeye wrote: »
    Quick question, does anyone know what happens if you want to avail of 4g offer but don't have a 4g phone (have a galaxy s3). Coming to the end of a 2 year contract in August.... Thanks

Your best bet for getting good value on a sim free 4g phone is Amazon. With the Euro sinking against sterling, it might be better to peruse the .de and .fr versions of the site. Amazon.de currently have daily deals and there are some phones coming up now and again, but I have yet to see a 4g one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Its only available in the main cities and Wexford. Plus they are charging €99 for a 4G mobile broadband device - feck that. Why would you want to be tied to 3 long-term by purchasing their device??

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Beadyeye

Your best bet for getting good value on a sim free 4g phone is Amazon. With the Euro sinking against sterling, it might be better to peruse the .de and .fr versions of the site. Amazon.de currently have daily deals and there are some phones coming up now and again, but I have yet to see a 4g one.

Thanks for the advice, your dead right, I may sell the S3 while it still has some value and get a simfree 4g. I may check Amazon for one, hopefully the german site is cheaper for a Nexus 5!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

kn wrote: »
    Its only available in the main cities and Wexford. Plus they are charging €99 for a 4G mobile broadband device - feck that. Why would you want to be tied to 3 long-term by purchasing their device??

Fail to see the problem here. They are offering it free while they extend the network. For those who can get it(probably 1/3 of the poplulation given coverage areas) it means 6 months free 4g versus signing up to a 12 or 14 month contract with other networks. When you can't get it you still have 3g which is all your paying for anyway.

The €99 device is on 3pay - no contract, everyone was charging about the same for the 3g mifi devices when they came out. I don't see anyone else in ireland offering it on prepay? You can get it free on contract with three same as meteor, vodafone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Dman001 wrote: »
    Same. Vodafone and O2 still bewilder me as to how much they continue to rip people off.

Vodafone have given me a 'free' upgrade to 4G- as my phone is a 4G phone- aka, its the same charge as I would have paid for 3G- there is no differentiation between 3G and 4G. If the '3' offer is free- as in no charge whatsoever, great- if its the same as their 3G costs- they are simply aping the other suppliers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Ah now, let's not do the rip off republic thing, the rates across the UK and US are mental too.

Is 4g good? Has anyone tried it and is there a huge speed difference to 3g?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Is 4g good? Has anyone tried it and is there a huge speed difference to 3g?

If you're in a marginal area for coverage- you will drop to 3G and HSDPA speeds- but I'll run speedtest.net on my phone when I'm out and about in a good area over the next few days- and post back the results. Where I am at the moment- I'm getting a download of 12Mb- I would expect this to vastly increase in a better area (though its quite respectable in its own right).

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

I've been a three customer for 20 months now. I was happy for the first year or so but in the last 8/10 months the 3G speeds have gone off a cliff . It's common for me to get download speeds of way less than 1mbps often less than 0.1mbps which means no internet effectively. This happens in urban areas.

Before you sign a contract get a free sim and check your signal over the course of a couple of weeks. Also have a look at the talk to three forum here - a lot of frustrated customers waiting out their contract periods (including me).

I don't know if they will have similar issues with their 4g network.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I've been with 3 for about 6 months or so.

I think when you are on their network I think their speeds are fine, but once you roam to Vodafone or whoever they use you may as well not have internet, even simple things like a Google maps search can take ages, or not work at all.

I'm on their €20 per month plan which I think is perfect for me. 15gb ("unlimited") of data and 350 flexi units (1 min or 2 texts). I don't think the fiver extra for 4g is a bad deal at all. Look at meteors plans, I think the highest cap they give is 6gb and that is expensive.

To be honest I think people are being entitled to think this was going to be free. It's very rare any company will offer a new service for nothing.Didn't they have to buy a licence for this as well? Sky HD is an example. Someone mentioned efibre, they are only offering that at the same rates as UPC are so competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Random question - If you put a 4G-enabled SIM into a non-4G phone, will it still work (but fall back to 3G or whatever the phone is capable of)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

According to their website...
    Three wrote:
    What is 4G?

4G (LTE) gives you up to 10x faster data speeds. Meaning it’s the best internet experience on your phone or tablet yet. Stream, upload and download faster and smoother than ever.

It’s data as it should be.

So if it's data as it should be, then we're currently paying for data which is not as it should be.
    Mobile data is crap and patchy all across Dublin city.

Indeed, but just look at the amount of people that pay for the HD package from Sky.

To think People would actually pay for a picture quality that should be standard in the first place for modern TV's is bewildering!

SKY still transmit in mpeg 2 which was fine for a low resolution CRT TV back in 1998, it's mental people will pay for a HD package !!!

But back to three, I thought the merger with 02 would mean better coverage ?

While Three have 0 limits on their 3G I presume 4G is the same ? if so and I could get it, it might persuade me to ditch the poxy 6mb down and 300 kbps up Eircom line.

Mobile operators don't realise the potential for a dsl replacement service .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

If you're in a marginal area for coverage- you will drop to 3G and HSDPA speeds- but I'll run speedtest.net on my phone when I'm out and about in a good area over the next few days- and post back the results. Where I am at the moment- I'm getting a download of 12Mb- I would expect this to vastly increase in a better area (though its quite respectable in its own right).

If that's 12 mb a min?that sounds v good to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

Dman001 wrote: »

don't praise three too much or they"ll jack up their prices

Advertisement