Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Insurance and your collection.

Options
  • 21-01-2014 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

Looking for advice/opinions. The wife managed to get into the attic and now knows the extent of my airsoft collection and her first question was "Is that covered under our house insurance?"
    Now under our policy, this is a grey area and I don't fancy trying to explain to an insurance company that I want to add on x amount of "guns" worth y amount of €uro to our policy.
    Has anyone else concidered this or had any discussions with an insurer about this dilema?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I'm not 100% here but in most cases, I think items over a certain value must be declared in order to maintain cover.

This generally only applies to stuff like wedding rings, ipads* and other such valuable items.

You should ask the insurance company (& would be interested hearing the outcome) and at least that way they can't argue that they didn't know about it if the worst happened..

*:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

se conman wrote: »
    Looking for advice/opinions. The wife managed to get into the attic and now knows the extent of my airsoft collection and her first question was "Is that covered under our house insurance?"
    Now under our policy, this is a grey area and I don't fancy trying to explain to an insurance company that I want to add on x amount of "guns" worth y amount of €uro to our policy.
    Has anyone else concidered this or had any discussions with an insurer about this dilema?

My Dad contacted the insurance company when I was building a pretty large collection in the shed. He queried did their need to be any additional declaration for my toys, which in some cases valued up to 500 euro, and the answer was no, that it's covered under the contents insurance that my parents paid.

You don't delcare everything and anything when you take out contents cover, granted they are all different. Typically the policy will outline stipulations like the amount they will pay out, times between claims etc.

I'd say you'd want to have a receipt handy though.

Advertisement