Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Boggers Log

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I'm arriving back into Dublin around midnight on Saturday and my missus has just told me that I'm on duty all day/night Sunday, so I'm considering doing my long run when I get back. After last weeks great feedback, I thought I'd ask if anyone knew a well lit route that I could do 20 miles near the airport.

Tnx again.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭Duanington

I'm arriving back into Dublin around midnight on Saturday and my missus has just told me that I'm on duty all day/night Sunday, so I'm considering doing my long run when I get back. After last weeks great feedback, I thought I'd ask if anyone knew a well lit route that I could do 20 miles near the airport.

Tnx again.

TbL

will you be running from one of the long term carparks TBL?

Duanington wrote: »
    will you be running from one of the long term carparks TBL?

Parked in short term, can't afford to leave the car in there for too long!

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

you can always see if any of the gyms around the area are payable by the hour/session and drop in for a couple of hours?? Boring, but I don't may be the safest option.

Other alternative is to run down past the long term carpark, past Dardistown Cemertry (a dead nice place that) into Santry and onwards to city center - its a fairly well lit path most the way I think - and fairly straight so a bogger wouldn't get lost...........but then again.

you can always see if any of the gyms around the area are payable by the hour/session and drop in for a couple of hours?? Boring, but I don't may be the safest option.

Other alternative is to run down past the long term carpark, past Dardistown Cemertry (a dead nice place that) into Santry and onwards to city center - its a fairly well lit path most the way I think - and fairly straight so a bogger wouldn't get lost...........but then again.
    Alsaa let you pay into the gym, not sure what time they open until.

I'd park up and run down into Santry and back up, you might have to do it a couple of times to make up the 20 miles though

• Advertisement

Friday: Rest Day

Saturday: had to juggle my plans around again. Plan called for 50-60 mins ER.

Did 10.2 miles @ 8.40 pace.

Sunday: plan called for 22-24 miles LR.

Bit of a head wrecker, this session, didn't get out till almost midnight.

Did 22 miles average pace @ 8.21.

Took no fluids or gels.

Need to catch up on some sleep as less than 3-4 hours sleep for the last few nights.

Total weekly mileage 69.21

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Midnight! 22 miles in small wee hours - way to get it done. Kudos.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Sunday: plan called for 22-24 miles LR.

Bit of a head wrecker, this session, didn't get out till almost midnight.

Did 22 miles average pace @ 8.21.

TbL

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Straight from the ecoli school of running. #commitment

Cleanman wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Straight from the ecoli school of running. #commitment

It was a bit of a disaster to be honest, put new batteries in the head torch and drove to my local spot to do the run, head torch died the minute I turned it on.

I was very close to pulling the plug (but I was all lubed up!) as I had to drive 40 mins to run under street lights, do the 22 miles and drive home again.

The misses wasn't happy been woken in the small hours of the morning.

TbL

Fair play - that's sheer madness commitment right there.

• Advertisement

It was a bit of a disaster to be honest, put new batteries in the head torch and drove to my local spot to do the run, head torch died the minute I turned it on.

I was very close to pulling the plug (but I was all lubed up!) as I had to drive 40 mins to run under street lights, do the 22 miles and drive home again.

The misses wasn't happy been woken in the small hours of the morning.

TbL

no comment:D:D:D:D:D:D

Ha ha Cleanman, she told me to try pole vaulting :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

If you ever feel like doing a AMK and changing usernames I vote for NotsoCleanman :D

Tom Joad wrote: »
    If you ever feel like doing a AMK and changing usernames I vote for NotsoCleanman :D
    Ha - there was a reason I was given the name in the first place!

What I should have said is that there's serious good work in here by TBL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

What I should have said is that there's serious good work in here by TBL.

+ 1 - seriously impressive stuff.

Tom Joad wrote: »
    + 1 - seriously impressive stuff.

What they said!

great stuff altogether

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

An 80 min journey round trip for a late night +2 hr run? Looks like I am gonna have to up my game in terms of commitment as even I wouldn't have the motivation to do that. Fair play, its runs like that you will remember come mile 23 when you body is giving you the old FU

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭Gavlor

That is simply insane. You deserve no kudos for that run, insanity!!

Are you sure that you didn't dream the whole thing?

Gavlor wrote: »
    That is simply insane. You deserve no kudos for that run, insanity!!

Are you sure that you didn't dream the whole thing?

No dreaming involved, although the first few miles felt like a nightmare.

If I hadn't missed over two weeks earlier in the program, I probably wouldnt have gone out, but I can't afford to miss any important sessions at this stage.

TbL

Monday: rest day. Got a massage and took an Epsom salt bath.

Tuesday: program called for 15-25 min wu and cd followed by 5/6 1600m reps with 400m jog recovery.

I decided to try and run this by "feel" for the reps rather than looking at the watch every couple of seconds. I "feel" I need more practice with this approach!

Did 24 min wu followed by 5 reps (don't think I would have broken 6.30 if I did a 6th as I was fading fast)

1. 6.09
    2. 6.18
    3. 6.15
    4. 6.21
    5. 6.25

Only did a 500m cool down as I was under time pressure.

TbL

• Advertisement

Program called for 50-60 mins ER.

Did 54 mins, easy miles around the outside of Hyde Park.

Didn't enjoy it much as there was loads of traffic and the concrete footpaths really take it out of the legs.

TbL

Man it took some effort to get out tonight.

Had a pretty crappy day at work, and sat on the end of the bed, in the hotel with my gear on for a good half hour, looking at crap tv and thinking of reasons why I shouldn't go out.

Program called for an 80 mins ER.

Went out with the intention of doing 45 mins and ended up doing 76 mins around the outside of Hyde park again

I'm not sure if it's in my head (and I very rarely train on them) but concrete footpaths seems to really jar the legs, especially if you're a kit kat chunky like me. Looking forward to getting back to running on Bogger roads :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I'm not sure if it's in my head (and I very rarely train on them) but concrete footpaths seems to really jar the legs, especially if you're a kit kat chunky like me. Looking forward to getting back to running on Bogger roads :)

TbL

Lovely floating feeling along bog trails will do the trick!
    Perhaps it's time to try out the Hokas!
    290392.jpg

Friday: program called for 4,3,2,1,1 mins hard by two, with 2 mins recovery, usual 15-30 mins wu/cd

Due to work commitments and getting back late from London last night I missed this session.

Running mojo at a serious low at the moment.

Was going to do the session today buy Mr L told me to can it and stick with the planned Saturday ER and to throw in some strides.

Saturday.

Program called for 40-50 mins ER.

Can't seem to shake off the lethargy and only did 4 easy miles late this evening and didn't even bother with the strides (nearly didn't bother going out at all!!)

Have a long run tomorrow with some MP miles, better get the finger out.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Stick with it, TheBitterLemon. There's always a low point (or two!) in every tough marathon training plan and adding travel/work to the mix only makes things tougher.

Stick with it, TheBitterLemon. There's always a low point (or two!) in every tough marathon training plan and adding travel/work to the mix only makes things tougher.

Thanks Krusty.

It was your suggestion to start the log initially, and I've found it brilliant from a motivational perspective, I'm sure that there were a couple of sessions that I definitely wouldn't have done were it not for the fact that I would have had to post a no show on here.

The help and encouragement on here has also been nothing short of fantastic, and I've even gotten to run with the infamous AMK :)

Once I roll some of the heaviness out of my legs, I'll give myself a good kick up the hole :)

TbL

From a 20m run at midnight, to low mojo!

Stop beating yourself up and read back over your log when you get low points.

You've more mojo than Mo & Jo put together....................... Or something inspirational like that.

Sunday: plan called for 16-20 miles with the last 6 to 8 miles at MP.

Did 18 miles and a mile slow cool down. 19 in total.

18 miles @ 7.43 average.

Swirling winds meant that there wasn't one mile where I didn't have the wind in my face for some part of each mile. Had planned to run the last 8 at between 7.10 - 7.15, but they ended up a bit all over the place.

Splits for the last 8 miles

11. 7.28
    12. 6.56
    13. 7.00
    14. 7.05
    15. 7.08
    16. 7.05
    17. 7.28
    18. 7.16

TbL

that's a super run.
    You in Dublin anytime soon??

• Advertisement

Monday: rest day, got a massage

Today: Program called for a 90 min ER.

I wanted to test myself on this so asked coach L if it would be ok to run 10 miles at MP. Coach L came back with a definite no and to stick to the planned easy run session. I wanted to do a few extra miles this week so he agreed to me doing a couple of extra very easy runs.

Am: ran 4 very easy miles

Pm: was in the big smoke so started in Stephens Green and ran along the canal. The Bogger Garmin obviously doesn't like big cities coz couldn't get a signal in London last week and it took a grudging 5 mins to find a signal here.

Really enjoyed it until about 3.5 miles in, where the canal was absolutely deserted apart from a couple of likely lads, one of whom fired a bottle at me, it smashed on the ground behind me. I stopped and turned around and they scarpered like they were in the middle if a strides session. Seriously not impressed. Didn't pass anyone else along the way and I'm surprised more runners weren't out as it's a great surface, flat and fairly well lit.

No sign of the guardians of the canal on the way back!

Thanks to AMK who offered me part 2 of his PP experience on Thursday but the Boggers visa doesn't extend beyond 24 hours :)

Did 11 miles @ 8.02.

TbL

Advertisement