Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York, New York!

• 25-07-2013 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi all,

I'm heading over to New York in September with my boyfriend for a week (both in our 20's).

I was there a good few years ago myself but just wondering does anyone have any recommendations on what to do/where to go/eat/visit? I like to be organised :)

We're planning on shopping a fair bit and heading to Woodbury Common on one of the days.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially on places to shop/eat!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mrshopkeeper

You lucky thing! I've been to NYC several times. I am not usually into the nerdy Museum/History stuff but I thought the trip to Staten Island was well worthwhile. But to your real question as to where to eat and shop, we discovered Soho and Tribeca only on our third visit to NYC.

Mrsshopkeeper found a store for bags/shoes in Soho that was way beyond the mainstream re value and a class apart from the Department stores but I couldnt begin to guess where exactly it was down there.

And my favorite place to have ever eaten was this place http://www.churrascariatribeca.com/ (if ye are vegetarian avoid it at all costs!) It is expensive but maybe worth one visit. Don't go near the 'All You Can Eat' Salad Bar or you'll be full by the time the good stuff comes round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Take a boat cruise on the circle line ircleline42.com/new-york-cruises/home.aspx, also the hop on- hop off bus tours from back of Time Square. Every one from Ireland heads to Woodbury Common but Jersey Gardens is another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you're going to be there for a week then take the time to do the Staten Island Ferry, it's free and there's a great view of the harbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I loved Woodbury Common, I was there in February. My advise would be to bring a small wheelie suitcase with you so that you don't have to lug shopping bags around all day. I have also been to Jersey Gardens, though back in 2009, and I preferred Woodbury Common. It depends on what kind of shopping you'd like to do. Woodbury Common has more higher end stores but you can get some great discounts, whereas Jersey Gardens is a regular high-street type shopping mall.

To eat, Eatery on 9th Ave at 53rd St is SO good! We went there a few times during our one week trip because the food was delicious and the staff were really friendly and nice. (http://www.eaterynyc.com/ Website, if you're interested!)

Have a great trip! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

I'd suggest s trip to the Cathedral of St John The Divine in Morningside heights.
    Construction began in 1892 and is ongoing-when I lived there I used to go watch the stone masons carving the figures over the main doors. It has some amazing and fascinating memorials inside, and is a great place to get away from the craziness of the city. It really is one of the hidden gems of the city.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathedral_of_Saint_John_the_Divine

If you take the A train all the way uptown to Fort Tryon Park-get off at 191st, you have the Cloisters, part of the Met Museum, but set on a hill, overlooking the Hudson. JD Rockerfeller built it, and purchased the Jersey palisades across the river to preserve the natural scenery, so that today there is little development on that shore part of New Jersey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Tryon_Park

Further up another subway stop is the last intact forest of Manhattan in Inwood park-where you get a feel what Manhattan Island looked like when the Dutch arrived.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inwood_Park

You could also take the Circle Line trip around the city by boat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_Line_Sightseeing_Cruises

For shopping take the PATH train to New Jersey shopping Malls where sales tax is lower then in Manhattan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

A great way to see the city is to hire a Citibike. Their version of Dublinbikes which only arrived there in May.

Its a great rush cycling around Manhattan!

http://citibikenyc.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 42 L_S1991

You lucky thing! I've been to NYC several times. I am not usually into the nerdy Museum/History stuff but I thought the trip to Staten Island was well worthwhile. But to your real question as to where to eat and shop, we discovered Soho and Tribeca only on our third visit to NYC.

Mrsshopkeeper found a store for bags/shoes in Soho that was way beyond the mainstream re value and a class apart from the Department stores but I couldnt begin to guess where exactly it was down there.

And my favorite place to have ever eaten was this place http://www.churrascariatribeca.com/ (if ye are vegetarian avoid it at all costs!) It is expensive but maybe worth one visit. Don't go near the 'All You Can Eat' Salad Bar or you'll be full by the time the good stuff comes round.

Hi guys,

Sorry for the delay in replying but thank you all so much for the info!!

mrshopkeeper I think I will definitely be giving Soho a visit & finding that bag/shoe shop ;-)

Novella wrote: »
    I loved Woodbury Common, I was there in February. My advise would be to bring a small wheelie suitcase with you so that you don't have to lug shopping bags around all day. I have also been to Jersey Gardens, though back in 2009, and I preferred Woodbury Common. It depends on what kind of shopping you'd like to do. Woodbury Common has more higher end stores but you can get some great discounts, whereas Jersey Gardens is a regular high-street type shopping mall.

To eat, Eatery on 9th Ave at 53rd St is SO good! We went there a few times during our one week trip because the food was delicious and the staff were really friendly and nice. (http://www.eaterynyc.com/ Website, if you're interested!)

Have a great trip! :)

Thanks for all that info!! Did you buy your small wheelie case out there as I plan on bringing a large one with me in general but that might be too big to bring to Woodbury?

I'd suggest s trip to the Cathedral of St John The Divine in Morningside heights.
    Construction began in 1892 and is ongoing-when I lived there I used to go watch the stone masons carving the figures over the main doors. It has some amazing and fascinating memorials inside, and is a great place to get away from the craziness of the city. It really is one of the hidden gems of the city.

If you take the A train all the way uptown to Fort Tryon Park-get off at 191st, you have the Cloisters, part of the Met Museum, but set on a hill, overlooking the Hudson. JD Rockerfeller built it, and purchased the Jersey palisades across the river to preserve the natural scenery, so that today there is little development on that shore part of New Jersey.

Further up another subway stop is the last intact forest of Manhattan in Inwood park-where you get a feel what Manhattan Island looked like when the Dutch arrived.

For shopping take the PATH train to New Jersey shopping Malls where sales tax is lower then in Manhattan

I did most of the touristy things when I was last there so I think I will give them a miss this time but the circle line trip sounds fab so I may look into it!! Thanks :-)

L_S1991 wrote: »
    Thanks for all that info!! Did you buy your small wheelie case out there as I plan on bringing a large one with me in general but that might be too big to bring to Woodbury?

No, I brought it with me inside my big suitcase. It was packed with my clothes and stuff and there was still space for more clothes, shoes etc. around it so it was fine. I was planning on bringing it home as hand luggage but it turned out that I could still fit it inside my other case. :)

You could buy one there if you wanted too though, and when I was at Woodbury, there were people with all sorts of sizes of cases so I wouldn't worry about it much if you wanted to bring your large one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

I would add Ellis Island to this list.

Cloisters is amazing. It was transported directly from St. Guillaume in France, also breath taking. It's weird that its in Manhattan.

I'd avoid Times Square. Far too many tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,174 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Spot on clairefontaine, Time Square is overrated, you only need to see it once and definitely avoid shopping there!
    If you're into hair products Ricky's is amazing; there are several of them around NYC.
    I forgot to visit the High Line both times in NY, it's a park/garden on an old train line, have heard great things about it but as I say, missed it twice! http://www.thehighline.org/about/park-information
    Favourite place to eat was Lansky's Old World Deli on Columbus, great relaxed Jewish deli where you can get a picnic to eat in Central Park, the shopping in that area is great too, lots of independent shops as well as a nice new Century 21 (avoid the one downtown in financial district, very cramped and poorly laid out) and l'occitaine shop etc. Strawberry Fields and the Dakota building are nearby for Beatles fans.
    I loved the Hunger monument downtown, near the Museum of Jewish Heritage at Battery Park, both are rather depressing but great experiences.
    Coffee and cake in the Trump tower was a highlight for us, spotted Jay Leno there too! FAO Shwartz toy shop is nearby and fun for all ages!
    One of my favourite places to spend an afternoon in NY is the South Street Sea Port, nice little market stalls etc and restaurants with balconies, great views. Picked up some great real orchid jewellery there last time, and some cool graffiti prints as souvenirs :)
    We loved the upper west side on Columbus and Broadway, fantastic selection of restaurants in this area and lovely for a stroll in the evening :)
    If you can get to the Blue Note to listen to some jazz, do, you'll remember it always :)
    Aaagh I wish I was going back, time to start planning again I think!

Novella wrote: »
    No, I brought it with me inside my big suitcase. It was packed with my clothes and stuff and there was still space for more clothes, shoes etc. around it so it was fine. I was planning on bringing it home as hand luggage but it turned out that I could still fit it inside my other case. :)

You could buy one there if you wanted too though, and when I was at Woodbury, there were people with all sorts of sizes of cases so I wouldn't worry about it much if you wanted to bring your large one.

Great, thanks I might end up putting a small suitcase in my large one then, but I had planned to bring a second bag that folds into nothing...! But when it's full it will be harder to carry... it's 25kg to the States isn't it? Do you know is the hand luggage still 10kg?

dee_mc wrote: »
    Spot on clairefontaine, Time Square is overrated, you only need to see it once and definitely avoid shopping there!
    If you're into hair products Ricky's is amazing; there are several of them around NYC.
    I forgot to visit the High Line both times in NY, it's a park/garden on an old train line, have heard great things about it but as I say, missed it twice! http://www.thehighline.org/about/park-information
    Favourite place to eat was Lansky's Old World Deli on Columbus, great relaxed Jewish deli where you can get a picnic to eat in Central Park, the shopping in that area is great too, lots of independent shops as well as a nice new Century 21 (avoid the one downtown in financial district, very cramped and poorly laid out) and l'occitaine shop etc. Strawberry Fields and the Dakota building are nearby for Beatles fans.
    I loved the Hunger monument downtown, near the Museum of Jewish Heritage at Battery Park, both are rather depressing but great experiences.
    Coffee and cake in the Trump tower was a highlight for us, spotted Jay Leno there too! FAO Shwartz toy shop is nearby and fun for all ages!
    One of my favourite places to spend an afternoon in NY is the South Street Sea Port, nice little market stalls etc and restaurants with balconies, great views. Picked up some great real orchid jewellery there last time, and some cool graffiti prints as souvenirs :)
    We loved the upper west side on Columbus and Broadway, fantastic selection of restaurants in this area and lovely for a stroll in the evening :)
    If you can get to the Blue Note to listen to some jazz, do, you'll remember it always :)
    Aaagh I wish I was going back, time to start planning again I think!

Wow, thanks for all the insight!!

I know Times Square is full of tourists but I liked it the last time I was there, and I think it's a definite must see for a first time NYC visitor (my boyfriend)

I've heard about Rickey's and will most certainly be tracking one down!! :D

I just Googled The High Line, looks so pretty, especially at night, I think that might be worth a... eh... romantic visit! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the tip about coffee and cake in the Trump Tower, I love both so I must try it there!! & also FAO Shwartz toy shop because my boyfriend is still a kid at heart!! :D

Definitely start planning another trip, sounds like you love the city so much!! I've a countdown going until mine! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

How about don't go shopping at all.

seachto7 wrote: »
    How about don't go shopping at all.

Well you clearly read my first post... :confused:

L_S1991 wrote: »
    Great, thanks I might end up putting a small suitcase in my large one then, but I had planned to bring a second bag that folds into nothing...! But when it's full it will be harder to carry... it's 25kg to the States isn't it? Do you know is the hand luggage still 10kg?

I flew with US Airways and I am pretty sure it was 23kg checked and 10kg hand luggage but you were allowed to have a small case carry-on and a laptop bag or handbag.

I flew with Virgin Atlantic last month to another part of the US and it was the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

OP where are you staying if you don't mind me asking?

Me and my girlfriend really want to go also but aren't sure where the best place to stay is.

Want to go for 6-7 nights so staying right in the middle of manhattan is out of budget for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Joe Hall

BillJ wrote: »

Me and my girlfriend really want to go also but aren't sure where the best place to stay is.

Want to go for 6-7 nights so staying right in the middle of manhattan is out of budget for us!

Same Question!?!? Where to stay at a reasonable cost???

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

Joe Hall wrote: »
    Same Question!?!? Where to stay at a reasonable cost???

What is your budget? (same question to Bill J). I find there can be plenty of value in Manhattan if you do your research. I've visited twice a year on average for the past 6 years, so pretty familiar with Manhattan options.

• Advertisement

BillJ wrote: »

Hey BillJ, sorry I'm only replying now, I never got an email for your message!!

I am staying in the New Yorker hotel (http://www.newyorkerhotel.com/), so pretty much in the middle of Manhattan. It wouldn't be the cheapest place to stay but I stayed here the last timeI visited the city and really liked the place and I got a suuuuper deal this time too!! I personally think it's in a great location, it's right beside Macy's as well!!

I wouldn't have much knowledge about other hotels outside Manhattan, sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Whiteflag12

hey there, if you're stuck for time check out Jersey Gardens instead of Woodbury Common. I'm heading over that direction in a few weeks and we only have 4 nights in NYC before we move on to the next leg of the journey. Woodbury is fab, but you need to allow a FULL day... I'm talking about first bus out, last bus back! The day flies by... bring a big bag with you!!!

hey there, if you're stuck for time check out Jersey Gardens instead of Woodbury Common. I'm heading over that direction in a few weeks and we only have 4 nights in NYC before we move on to the next leg of the journey. Woodbury is fab, but you need to allow a FULL day... I'm talking about first bus out, last bus back! The day flies by... bring a big bag with you!!!

Hey Whiteflag, thanks for the heads up!! I've been to Woodbury Common before and I agree it's fab & you need a FULL day but we've decided we're definitely going to do that one day as we both love shopping!! If we have any spare time we might just make a trip to Jersey Gardens too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

If stuck for time for shopping try Century 21 on Cortlandt Street near the World Trade Centre. Great bargains.

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    If stuck for time for shopping try Century 21 on Cortlandt Street near the World Trade Centre. Great bargains.
    Century 21 is great but the other locations in Queens and Lincoln Square are quieter and better laid out in my opinion :)

dee_mc wrote: »
    Century 21 is great but the other locations in Queens and Lincoln Square are quieter and better laid out in my opinion :)

You're not the first person I've heard that from, thanks for the tip!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

Hi folks,

Following on from a few previous posters, I'm just wondering about reasonable accomdation and where? I'm thinking of maybe €750-€1000 for 5 nights..I know, not a lot for this city!!

Also, is Manhattan the 'best' place to stay from a newbie point of view? I'm looking for a central enough location with a good night life close by, even though, with the local infrastructure, I suppose everything is close by!

OP, i checked out The New Yorker, but it was coming in at €294.00 a night... a bit rich for my blood I'm afraid.

Any help, greatly appreciated folks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Tangey99

80s Child wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Following on from a few previous posters, I'm just wondering about reasonable accomdation and where? I'm thinking of maybe €750-€1000 for 5 nights..I know, not a lot for this city!!

Also, is Manhattan the 'best' place to stay from a newbie point of view? I'm looking for a central enough location with a good night life close by, even though, with the local infrastructure, I suppose everything is close by!

OP, i checked out The New Yorker, but it was coming in at €294.00 a night... a bit rich for my blood I'm afraid.

Any help, greatly appreciated folks!!

I posted the following info in another thread.

I stay in New York a few years ago. I found that Radio City Apartments had a great location, 5 mins walk to Times square etc, was pretty quiet and good price. Not a fancy place by any means, but clean. They are generally always pretty much full, so you need to look about them early.

A studio queen bed for 5 random nights in Sept is $1500, which is over your budget.

You might try priceline, but of course all you get is a idea of the area you are staying in, you don't get to know the actual hotel until you are already committed, which might be risky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭youngblood

Speaking of Budgets and hopefully seasoned travellers may help me out here but is a budget of 1600e (flights & accom) for 2 for 4 nights in new york in april pushin it a little?
    Any replies/info appreciated

• Advertisement

youngblood wrote: »
    Speaking of Budgets and hopefully seasoned travellers may help me out here but is a budget of 1600e (flights & accom) for 2 for 4 nights in new york in april pushin it a little?
    Any replies/info appreciated

Hi! I'm always on the lookout for good NY deals so here's what I came up with: I checked skyscanner.ie for random dates in April and found flights from Dublin to JFK via Heathrow for E504, and I checked booking.com for a hotel I can personally recommend (Quality Inn in Woodside, Queens) for the same dates, it came to just over E400 including taxes etc for the 4 nights.
    The hotel is 3 minutes walk from subway, 15-20 mins subway ride from Time Square. Should leave you with some shopping money!

http://www.skyscanner.ie/transport/flights/dub/nyca/140406/140410/airfares-from-dublin-to-new-york-in-april-2014.html?rtn=1
    http://www.booking.com/hotel/us/quality-inn-woodside.html?tab=1&origin=hp&error_url=%2Fhotel%2Fus%2Fquality-inn-woodside.en-gb.html%3Faid%3D356998%3Blabel%3Dgog235jc-hotel-XX-us-qualityNinnNwoodside-unspec-ie-com%3Bsid%3D51ac1002aefd280f33a086436c4ba31f%3Bdcid%3D1%3B&do_availability_check=on&aid=356998&dcid=1&label=gog235jc-hotel-XX-us-qualityNinnNwoodside-unspec-ie-com&sid=51ac1002aefd280f33a086436c4ba31f&checkin_monthday=6&checkin_year_month=2014-4&checkout_monthday=10&checkout_year_month=2014-4

Advertisement