Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Ya looks like the two of them are 12V. So i wouldn't go plugging it straight into your new one if its 5V.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I ordered an E-PRANCE New 1080P Novatek CPU from Amazon the other day, £26stg from Amazon via Parcel Motel. I wanted something small and simple, I don't want GPS, just a basic high-quality recording. Will keep yiz updated on it when it arrives.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FKTQ3NE/ref=pe_385721_37038051_TE_dp_1

• Registered Users Posts: 20,834 ✭✭✭✭cormie

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Ya looks like the two of them are 12V. So i wouldn't go plugging it straight into your new one if its 5V.

ah ****e, I thought I was all good to go :( how would I know for sure and would you have any idea how I could connect the new cam up then without going chopping wires and everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

cormie wrote: »
    ah ****e, I thought I was all good to go :( how would I know for sure and would you have any idea how I could connect the new cam up then without going chopping wires and everything?

I'm not sure how it could be avoided tbh. You either splice something like this into the existing wiring:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-DC-Waterproof-Converter-Regulator-12V-to-5V-15W-3A-Step-down-with-Mini-USB-/151168171455

Or just run the new cable around & down to the fuse box and wire the cigarette adapter charger(which converts 12 to 5) straight into a fuse with 12V on it. This is what i did: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88352472

Thanks again, hmm, doesn't seem too complicated, just don't want to mess anything up :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting a Dash Cam & the following was recommended:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Camera-Recorder-Vision-1280x960-Resolution/dp/B005Q6NC2G/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
    Anyone have experience of this baby?

Hey All, Just an update. I've been using this for a few days now & it works exactly how its supposed to. In fact I hardly pay attention to it now, as it just does its job. The image quality is okay - reading lisense plates can be difficult at times. But overall it is good quality.

So I got my mini 0801 today, first impressions are that it's a great little camera for what it is and to be honest, there's not a whole lot of reason to spend any more on a higher quality camera for the regular user. My box was ticked "non gps" versions and that's what it is unfortunately. I would have gone for the GPS version had I known for the little extra.

It's very nice and compact, the lcd screen is a nice addition and what's good also is the fact it's micro SD card and you could copy/view files on the phone if anything important happened. This is the case with most now I guess, but a nice new thing compared to my other regular SD card cameras, even if it means I'll have to probably buy a larger one.

One thing I would have liked is it to not switch itself off automatically once the ignition is off, it does last a few seconds but I'd prefer it to keep recording until its battery dies. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Also, there's a slight whir/buzzing noise coming from it when plugged in too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

I ordered mine before you and i'm still waiting :(
    No fairs!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Damien360

So I got my mini 0801 today, first impressions are that it's a great little camera for what it is and to be honest, there's not a whole lot of reason to spend any more on a higher quality camera for the regular user. My box was ticked "non gps" versions and that's what it is unfortunately. I would have gone for the GPS version had I known for the little extra.

It's very nice and compact, the lcd screen is a nice addition and what's good also is the fact it's micro SD card and you could copy/view files on the phone if anything important happened. This is the case with most now I guess, but a nice new thing compared to my other regular SD card cameras, even if it means I'll have to probably buy a larger one.

One thing I would have liked is it to not switch itself off automatically once the ignition is off, it does last a few seconds but I'd prefer it to keep recording until its battery dies. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Also, there's a slight whir/buzzing noise coming from it when plugged in too :(

Nice one.

The battery life is cat. It will not last anyway. I also set mine to auto screen off or it just proves a distraction. The blue LED flashing tells me it is working. Max card size according to manual is 32GB

I have no noise coming from mine.

Mousewar wrote: »
    I ordered mine before you and i'm still waiting :(
    No fairs!

I think we ordered through different options though? You ordered the one that would have been £20 delivered to Ireland so you used Parcel Motel, yeah? I ordered the one with free super saver delivery and because the total was over £25, it was delivered free direct to my door. I get a lot of parcel motel notifications late at night, you may still have it by the end of the day yet ;)
    Damien360 wrote: »
    Nice one.

The battery life is cat. It will not last anyway. I also set mine to auto screen off or it just proves a distraction. The blue LED flashing tells me it is working. Max card size according to manual is 32GB

I have no noise coming from mine.

Yeah, battery life seems bad anyway but if you turn it on again after it auto powers off, it lasts a little bit. It would even be good to have 2-3 minutes recorded while you might be doing a quick drop off while parked for example better to have it on and it die then have nothing at all :P

I've a 4gb card in mine now, not even sure I'll bother upgrading actually, 4gb is maybe 1 hours footage so if anything happens, guess I've an hour to back it up, which is a lot easier since in most cases there'll be a phone in the vehicle that can take the card :)

• Advertisement

Got mine cormie. The instructions are gibberish. Do you know what loop setting i should pick? And where's the best place to put it on the car?

I didn't bother with instructions at all, I just looked at techmoans review of it while I was in the car and went along with that. I mounted mine towards the top of the window behind my rear view mirror with the lens as close to centre as possible. I don't suppose you got the GPS version yourself by mistake? :)

Thanks - the techmoan review is a lot more useful than that unintelligible manual.

I don't think so re: the GPS. I probably wouldn't even know if I did.

Should have it ticked or not on the box and the GPS/G-force options techmoan has in the menu aren't there either!

Oh right. Then no. No GPS.

Had both cams (mini 0801 and iTronics ITB100HD) recording today in the van so decided to do a little blog post on it for anyone interested to see the difference between what was a €200 odd dash cam vs the €70 or so of the mini 0801 :)

http://www.vantasks.ie/blog/mini-0801-vs-itronics-itb100hd-dash-cam-compare

• Registered Users Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Damien360

Had both cams (mini 0801 and iTronics ITB100HD) recording today in the van so decided to do a little blog post on it for anyone interested to see the difference between what was a €200 odd dash cam vs the €70 or so of the mini 0801 :)

I have that 0801 and it is very good during the day. How do the 2 cameras above compare for night time ?

I can throw up another comparison if you want? Problem is the ITB100HD in that van is the dodgy one so it doesn't always record :o

What I want to see too, is which one starts recording first and how long it records for after the engine is switched off. I think the Mini 0801 might beat the itronics in that test...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I'm thinking about getting a dash cam and am willing to pay a couple of hundred for something decent. Video quality especially at night/in low light is important. The Dod LS430W seesm to get good reviews - has anyone got a comment on it.

Am also thinking about a rear facing cam - in a hatchback car where/how are they generally mounted? I'm talking about a cam to look out the back window rather than to record the interior of the car. Could it be mounted on the front windscreen?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

BrianD3 wrote: »
    I'm thinking about getting a dash cam and am willing to pay a couple of hundred for something decent. Video quality especially at night/in low light is important. The Dod LS430W seesm to get good reviews - has anyone got a comment on it.

Am also thinking about a rear facing cam - in a hatchback car where/how are they generally mounted? I'm talking about a cam to look out the back window rather than to record the interior of the car. Could it be mounted on the front windscreen?

Thanks

I don't know the first thing about this one, but it looks HQ and has front and ream cams. I'm thinking of going with it myself. Be very interested in anyones opinions on this or any other such models.

http://dashboardcamerareviews.com/blackvue-dr550gw-2ch/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭BrianD3

dnme wrote: »
    I don't know the first thing about this one, but it looks HQ and has front and ream cams. I'm thinking of going with it myself. Be very interested in anyones opinions on this or any other such models.

http://dashboardcamerareviews.com/blackvue-dr550gw-2ch/
    Yes, I have been looking at that review too - when it comes to mounting, cables etc. does that that dual cam have an advantage compared to say, 2 x Mini 0801s.

306 GBP for the Blackvue dual cam compared 139 GBP for 2 x Mini 0801s (one with GPS, the other without) Quite a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

BMJD wrote: »
    I ordered an E-PRANCE New 1080P Novatek CPU from Amazon the other day, £26stg from Amazon via Parcel Motel. I wanted something small and simple, I don't want GPS, just a basic high-quality recording. Will keep yiz updated on it when it arrives.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FKTQ3NE/ref=pe_385721_37038051_TE_dp_1

Just to update, the camera was delivered to Parcel Motel on Friday, 3 days after I ordered it. I collected it on Sunday morning, all good, first time using PM, very straightforward and efficient!

The camera is nice and compact, however it is supplied with a suction cup mount which imo makes a compact camera into an unnecessarily large device. A simple sticker bracket would make it so much more attractive and inconspicuous.

Apart from that the quality seems good, I only put it into the car tonight so I haven't recorded any in-car footage but I will upload some clips during the week. I bought a 32gb micro SD card with it via Amazon but that is from a different seller and hasn't arrived yet. I put an old 8gb card in that I had lying around and it works fine. The cigarette charger cable is long enough to fit under the trim around the windscreen, under the glovebox and into the socket so there isn't really any need to hard-wire it to hide the cable. It is also supplied with a USB cable and an AV cable.

So far, so good. If you are looking for a cheap and basic dashcam I would recommend having a look at this one. For ~€35 delivered, it's well worth it.

Ok folks, did another video comparing the Mini 0801 and iTronics ITB100HD with night driving and what might even interest even more people, how boot times and power off times can differ from camera to camera. There's a good 35 seconds difference between the boot time of each camera and what could be vital time between power loss times too and which performs better, the €200 iTronics or the €70 Mini 0801?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Great work Cormie. Thanks.

As a matter of interest. Why did you not consider the Mobius action cam?

Hehe, actually the main reasons were because it didn't have the GPS or G-Sensor and a decent looking mount for the car as well as it not being auto stop/start with the engine. I intended on getting the Mini 0801 with the G-Sensor and GPS but only found out after ordering that I ordered the wrong one for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

A decent mount can be had for 3-4 euro.

Of course it stops and starts with the engine! it's a dashcam! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I got a present at Christmas of the Mio MiVue 358 - bought in Halfords.

It was expensive enough but the instructions are hopeless - I got more info from a a clip from Techmoan on YouTube than from the Manual or CD.

Has anyone used it? Any comments or tips appreciated. Nothing at all in the Manual about uploading.

I have the impression Dashcams are pretty new and almost as unfamiliar to the retailers as to some of the rest of us.

rocky wrote: »
    A decent mount can be had for 3-4 euro.

Of course it stops and starts with the engine! it's a dashcam! :)

The mobius is marketed as an action camera so doesn't do the stop start from what I know. This may have been changed with firmware, I'm not sure?
    First Up wrote: »
    I got a present at Christmas of the Mio MiVue 358 - bought in Halfords.

It was expensive enough but the instructions are hopeless - I got more info from a a clip from Techmoan on YouTube than from the Manual or CD.

Has anyone used it? Any comments or tips appreciated. Nothing at all in the Manual about uploading.

I have the impression Dashcams are pretty new and almost as unfamiliar to the retailers as to some of the rest of us.

What do you mean uploading? To get the footage from camera to computer, you'll need to connect the card so may need an SD card/Micro SD card reader.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

The mobius is marketed as an action camera so doesn't do the stop start from what I know. This may have been changed with firmware, I'm not sure?

I have one, and it does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

What do you mean uploading? To get the footage from camera to computer, you'll need to connect the card so may need an SD card/Micro SD card reader.

Or can I connected the dashcam to the computer direct by cable?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement