Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updated Starting Out Guide for Motorcyclists (20/10/2013)

Options
  • 20-10-2013 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

Motorcycles (Categories AM, A1, A2 & A)

As we all should know by now with a motorcycle learner permit things are somewhat different since December 6th 2010 when Initial Basic Training was introduced. Things then changed again in January 2013

New licencing laws for motorcyclists as of 19th January 2013.
    you can read them by clicking each link below
    New Licence Laws
    Chart for Progressive and Direct Access for Motorcyclists
    Description of Licence Categories From 19th January 2013
    RSA Initial Basic Training information Booklet

The process is as follows
    1. Theory Test
    2. Get Learner Permit
    3. Do your IBT
    4. After 6 months do test

If you previously held a learner permit which has gone out of date by more than 5 years you will need to start from scratch as a complete noobie.
    If you have held an old provisional licence from pre December 1999 without letting it lapse for more than a 5 year gap then you are exempt from any IBT and can apply for the full motorcycle test if you wish. (There are only around 80 of these left in Ireland)

Once you pass the theory test (Apply HERE) you will need to apply for a learner permit. This only entitles you to ride on the road with a qualified motorcycle IBT instructor until you have completed your Initial Basic Training.
    Apply for your permit at www.ndls.ie

Please note:
    Until Friday 25th October 2013, you may continue to apply for your driving licence or learner permit as normal at your local Motor Tax office. From Tuesday 29th October 2013, the application process will change and applications must be made in any one of the NDLS centres nationwide.

You cannot start your ibt without having the correct learner permit with you. The receipt is not good enough as it is only a receipt not your permit.
    Note:
    All first time learner permit holders (code 991) are subject to the 6 month rule. This is how long you must wait from the date of issue before you can take your full test in that category

IBT is a 16 or 18 hour training course which you must pass before being allowed on the road without an instructor.
    There are 4 modules to complete in the IBT syllabus for categories AM & A1. If you are moving up to a different learner permit for example an A1 to an A2, A2 to A or an automatic bike to a geared bike you must complete a module 5 conversion course on that type of machine.
    If you are already of age for category A2 or A (Unrestricted) learner permit then you can do a Direct Access IBT course of modules 1,3 & 5 (18 hrs)
    Your IBT instructor must be satisfied that you are not a danger to yourself or other road users and you can control your motorcycle correctly before signing off your licence.
    You can read the course syllabus Here

If you hold a full licence for category A1 or A2 for at least 2 years then you can progress up to the next category without the need to be tested again or waiting 6 months as follows.

A1 to A2
    Aquire A2 lp then ibt modules 1, 3 & 5 if no previous ibt completed or progression module 5 if ibt completed previously. You can then apply for a full A2 licence.
    A2 to A
    Aquire A lp then as above.

This option can only be taken once either from A1 to A2 or from A2 to A.

1. AM Learner Permit
    Minimum 16 y/o. Two-wheeled mechanically propelled vehicle of 50cc or less (4kW for an electric motor) and with maximum speed of between 25km/h and 45 km/h.

2. A1 learner permit.
    Minimum 16 y/o you are allowed to ride a motorcycle or scooter up the size of 125cc and no more that 11kw (14.7 bhp) and less than .1 kw per kg

3. A2 learner permit.
    18 y/o you can ride a motorcycle or scooter up the power of 35 kw/46.6 bhp with a power to weight ratio not exceeding .2 kW per kg. You cannot restrict any bike that is more than double that power (70 kW)

Example 1. A Suzuki Bandit 600 is 57kw as standard. If this bike is restricted to 25kw it is more than double that originally so not allowed for A2 learner permit, ibt or test. A 35kw restriction would be ok as this is more than half original power but is within the permit restrictions for the A2.
    Example 2. A Yamaha Fazer 600 is 95 bhp (70.8 kw) so would not be allowed for restriction to the A2 permit as half of it's original power is 35.4 kw which is .4 kw over the permitted 35kw limit.

4. A (unrestricted) learner permit.
    Minimum 20 y/o you can apply for a learner permit in category A (Unrestricted) if you have had a full licence in category A2 for a minimum of 2 years. You would need to acquire an A category LP first then do IBT progression module 5 with no requirement for another test.

5. 24 y/o or over.
    You can apply for the A (Unrestricted) LP and avail of the Direct Access IBT modules 1, 3 & 5 (18 hrs). On completion you may then ride any size motorcycle on the road without power restriction. (As long as you can insure it)

Please Note:
    If you intend to progress from an A 25 kW restricted LP to a new unrestricted A and you have never done ibt then you must complete all modules 1, 3 & 5.
    If you intend to progress from an A 25 kW restricted LP to a new unrestricted A by doing module 5 then you must provide some information to your chosen instructor in advance so they can acquire a confirmation code for you. This must be sorted before you can do Progression module 5.

6. If you held a category A learner permit prior to January 19th 2013 and you upgrade to the new unrestricted lp then the 6 month rule will apply from the date of your first restricted lp not your new lp.

7. All learner permit holders on a motorcycle or scooter are required by law to display a full size L plate on the front & rear of a Hi-Viz yellow tabard since December 2007. It is a penal offence and carries a maximum fine up to €1000 for non compliance.

8. You must have a valid tax disc fitted to the bike preferably on the left hand side and not fixed to the rear number plate.

9. There is no NCT as yet for motorcycles and no need to display an insurance disc.

10. You should wear a correctly fitted crash helmet by law (Not Second-hand) and at your own discretion but strongly advised, proper motorcycle gloves, jacket, pants & boots.

12. Europe including Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK are out of bound for any learner permit holders.

13. Once you pass you full licence test in any category you may carry a pillion passenger (Check your insurance covers this) use motorways (subject to regulations)and ride in other countries

There are many things to consider when looking to start out on a motorcycle or scooter. The cost can be more than you might expect in the beginning so always factor in the following.

Theory test €40.60 (If you pass first time)
    Learner Permit €35.00
    Initial Basic Training. Anything from €350-€700
    Motorcycle ?
    Insurance ? (Always check before buying your bike)
    Road Tax. Between €50-€85
    Helmet, Jacket, Pants, Gloves, Boots for summer & winter use could be €500 upwards.

Category Representative vehicle for motorcycle test
    AM
    Two-wheeled mechanically propelled vehicle, not capable of being manually propelled. The machine must have a cylinder capacity not exceeding 50 cm3
    in the case of an internal combustion engine, or a maximum continuous rated power of no more than 4 kilowatts in the case of an electric motor. The vehicle must have a design speed of at least 25 km/h but
    not more than 45 km/h.

A1
    A Category A1 motorcycle without sidecar, with a cylinder capacity of at least 120 cm3 and not exceeding 125 cm3, and capable of a speed of at least 90 km/h, with a power not exceeding 11kW and with a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.1kW/kg. If the motorcycle is powered by an electric motor, the power to weight ratio of the vehicle shall be at least 0.08 kW/kg.

A2
    A Category A2 motorcycle without sidecar, with a cylinder capacity of at least 395cm3, and an engine power of at least 25 kW, but not exceeding 35 kW and with a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.2kW/kg and not derived from a vehicle of more than double its power. If the motorcycle is powered by an electric motor, the power to weight ratio of the vehicle shall be at least 0.15 kW/kg.
    A
    A Category A motorcycle without sidecar, with a cylinder capacity of at least 595 cm3, and an engine power of at least 40 kW. If the motorcycle is powered by an electric motor, the power to weight ratio of the vehicle shall be at least 0.25 kW/kg.
    As of November 2013 this will change to over 50 kW and at least 180 kg unladen weight.

I hope this has cleared up a number of repetitive questions and all information is accurate and up to date as of 20/10/2013
    If I think of anything else I will add it if this can be put up as a sticky

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

I think this should be a sticky.

Good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Yep, sticky this. It pretty much answers all the questions a person might have looking to enter the world of biking. Good job Roadskill:)

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

That sums the situation up nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Changes to the motorcycle driving test coming into effect from the 30th November 2013
    Following the implementation of Directive 2006/126/EC in January 2013 regarding the licensing of drivers, the European Commission has ratified some amendments to the original Directive and the following changes which relate to the practical motorcycle driving test are due to come into effect in Ireland from the 30th November 2013.
    This means that if you are sitting your motorcycle driving test for categories A1, A2 or A on or after the 30th November 2013, the changes below will apply to you. These changes are related to the vehicle being presented at the driving test.

The following are the changes which will be in effect from that date:

A 5cm3 tolerance on the cylinder capacity for all motorcycle categories presented at the driving test

The Driver Testing Service provided for this tolerance to be incorporated in the changes to representative vehicles for the driving test introduced on the 19th January 2013 for categories A and A2. For category A, the 5cm3 tolerance was applied to the minimum 600cm3 making the vehicle requirement at least 595cm3. For category A2, the 5cm3 tolerance was applied to the 400cm3 making the vehicle minimum requirement at least 395cm3. These tolerance levels still apply.

The change in November relates to the 5cm3 tolerance being also applied to category A1, which means that the minimum acceptable cylinder capacity changes from 120cm3 to 115cm3 for the purposes of the driving test. The official definition of a category A1 motorcycle as a representative vehicle for the driving test will therefore be changed to:

“A Category A1 motorcycle without sidecar, with a cylinder capacity of at least 115cm3 and not exceeding 125cm3, and capable of a speed of at least 90km/h, with a power not exceeding 11kW and with a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.1kW/kg. If the motorcycle is powered by an electric motor, the power to weight ratio of the vehicle shall be at least 0.08 kW/kg”.

Unladen mass for category A motorcycles for the driving test

With effect from the 30th November 2013, there is a requirement that any category A vehicle presenting for the driving test must have an unladen mass (unladen weight) of more than 180kg with a 5kg tolerance. Therefore, only motorcycles with an unladen mass of over 175kg will be acceptable for driving test purposes.

Driver Testing Section is currently creating a list for customers with the most common motorcycles, which incorporates whether they meet the requirement for unladen mass for the purposes of the driving test. This list will be available before the 30th November 2013 on this website.

Change to kW requirement for category A2 vehicles for the driving test

The kW requirement for category A2 motorcycles presenting for the driving test which were introduced on the 19th January 2013, required at least 25kW but not exceeding 35kW.

From 30th November 2013, the minimum requirement is changing from 25kW to 20kW. The official definition of a category A2 motorcycle as a representative vehicle for the driving test will therefore be changed to:

“A Category A2 motorcycle without sidecar, with a cylinder capacity of at least 395cm3, and an engine power of at least 20kW, but not exceeding 35kW and with a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.2kW/kg and not derived from a vehicle of more than double its power. If the motorcycle is powered by an electric motor, the power to weight ratio of the vehicle shall be at least 0.15kW/kg”.

Change in kW requirement for category A vehicles for the driving test

The kW requirement for category A motorcycles presenting for the driving test which was introduced on the 19th January 2013, required at least 40kW.
    From 30th November 2013, the minimum requirement is changing from 40kW to 50kW. The official definition of a category A motorcycle as a representative vehicle for the driving test will therefore be changed to:

“A Category A motorcycle without sidecar, whose unladen mass is more than 175kg, with an engine power of at least 50kW. If the motorcycle is powered by an internal combustion engine, the cubic capacity of the engine shall be at least 595cm3. If the motorcycle is powered by an electric motor, the power to weight ratio of the vehicle shall be at least 0.25kW/kg”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

You the man Roadskill! I already have a full licence but it's always good to read up on the new changes/rules.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 323gtr

thanks this is the info i was looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but does it matter what size bike you do the test on?

I'll probably be 24 doing mine and will have some small 125cc machine, after I pass the test I'd be wanting to get a much more powerful one... One of the comments on the other learner thread said something about only being licensed to ride the category of bike you use for the test, and to avoid this borrow a more powerful one for the test itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

This is taken from the MAG Ireland site, here, and it was correct when first put up. It shows that there is an importance to the bike you use in your test:
    Example 1 - You can ride a Honda CBR250 on an A2 license, but you cannot sit your A2 test on it because it is less than 395 cc.

Example 2 - You can ride a Suzuki GS500 on an A license, but you cannot sit your A test on it because it is under 595 cc.
    So, to answer your question, the 125 is not acceptable for the A Licence. You'd need to use an alternative bike for your test.

There have been a few threads here recently about people being turned away as their restriction cert as incorrect. So be wary of this too if you are going for an A2 licence.

RosieJoe wrote: »
    This is taken from the MAG Ireland site, here, and it was correct when first put up. It shows that there is an importance to the bike you use in your test:

So, to answer your question, the 125 is not acceptable for the A License. You'd need to use an alternative bike for your test.

There have been a few threads here recently about people being turned away as their restriction cert as incorrect. So be wary of this too if you are going for an A2 license.
    I feel like a moron, I don't get the limits at all... see my eventual plan is to get a Harley 883 sportster or maybe a 1200, but I want something smaller and more manageable for the first year or so so I won't cry when I drop it.

Am I right in saying that because it is a heavy bike even though the cc is high the power to weight is low so it is a category A2?

So what is the smallest power bike that I can sit my test on for the A2? I had planned to get a 125 or 250 but that seems out the window now?

I know I could borrow one but the idea of doing the test on something I'm not familiar with doesnt appeal to me. Thanks for your help :)

If I were you I'd focus on getting an A licence only. The reason for this is that you may or may not want to be able to drive an A category bike in the future, but if you do and you only have an A2 licence you'll have to go down the Progressive Access route.

I think, but I'm not 100% sure, you might be able to do the A2 test on a 300cc bike. There seems to be a load coming out targeting this market. Someone with a definitive answer will be along shortly to correct me if I am wrong.

Once you are able to confidently ride a small bike it should be easy for you to manage a borrowed bike for the test. At worst, you could do a pretest on one to get used to it.

• Advertisement

RosieJoe wrote: »
    If I were you I'd focus on getting an A licence only. The reason for this is that you may or may not want to be able to drive an A category bike in the future, but if you do and you only have an A2 licence you'll have to go down the Progressive Access route.

I think, but I'm not 100% sure, you might be able to do the A2 test on a 300cc bike. There seems to be a load coming out targeting this market. Someone with a definitive answer will be along shortly to correct me if I am wrong.

Once you are able to confidently ride a small bike it should be easy for you to manage a borrowed bike for the test. At worst, you could do a pretest on one to get used to it.
    It's all quite confusing. I had planned to get a marauder 250 or something very similar to learn on and then upgrade to the harley but sure if that won't do for the test then there's not much point.

I could borrow a bike, which I might do it sounds like the best option but I'd rather do it on my own one. Can anyone recommend a decent, cheap learner friendly cruiser style bike which would at least be enough for the a2?

Have a look on the MAG Ireland Site, specifically here
    MAG Ireland has put together a list of popular motorcycles to show which ones fall into which categories. We also highlight those full power motorcycles which can be restricted to meet the A2 license requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Youtube video from RSA outlining motorcycle licences & bikes allowed
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIgeliNpHGY&list=PLi8nqrsVU6htG_YioGm047eltfgvkW5OH

• Registered Users Posts: 8 symbol1

Ok , I generally get what the laws are , can I please clarify 2 things .
    1. If I have passed my theory test for my Car licence and hold a full car licence do I have to re-do the theory test for the bike ?
    2. When I get my A permit ( I am well over 24 ) can I ride any bike on that permit , or do I have to do the IBT training first then I can ride ?
    All help would be greatly appreciated , cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

1.) You have to do a theory test to get your A learner permit.

2.) You have to do the IBT before you can legally ride on public roads. (you also need insurance, but you know that.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

I took the plunge and applied for my theory test as a first step towards getting a Motorcycle Learner Permit and eventually a Motorcycle License.( already have my car license)

I was looking at prices for the IBT. Do they tend to not provide their own bikes ? It seems very pricey even more so than car lessons or jesus it seems to cost as much as for renting a Truck.... how can this be so ? Like a lot of people I want a fairly light bike for every day usage but want to do the test for the class A. Is it ok to do my IBT in a small bike when I want to get a class A license at the end of it ?
    Also if Im bringing my own bike then how do I get it there if Im not allowed drive it on the public road until I pass my IBT ? Another thing is a I havent even sorted out my budget yet. I'd like to do my IBT while I save a few coins ...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Bike rental is included in the fee for most instructors, or was when I was doing IBT, and I looked at A LOT of instructors.

Ring around the instructors and ask what the total cost is for shared IBT. It'll generally be cheaper to do it with someone else and over 3 consecutive days.

If you want a Valid A Licence, you have to do IBT on a qualifying full power bike, no small engines for you I'm afraid.

You don't bring your own bike, in fact, I'd advise you against even looking at bikes until you do IBT. If you have IBT done first you can test ride the bike confidently.

If you're paying Eur450 for IBT shared you're doing well for yourself. You can get it for less expensive, but only in Waterford I think.

Budget 500 for IBT if you can do it shared. If on your own you're looking at 700.

Hope any of this helps.

Thanks. whats the best way to prepare for the theory test fast ? I have mine coming up on January 4th. I read the rules of the road but I think this test will be motorbike specific ?

Thanks. whats the best way to prepare for the theory test fast ? I have mine coming up on January 4th. I read the rules of the road but I think this test will be motorbike specific ?

motorbike specific just means there'll be 5 questions or so that are specifically motorbike related. the rest will be rules for everyone.

Fastest way is to get the CD Rom or app and do the test 300 times or until you are getting 40/40 for 40 straight times. it's also most effective for the test.

BUT, It's not as effective for learning the actual rules as hands on experience..... but yeah, DVD.

great news I passed my theory test first time but I went straight over to smithfield (Dublin) and was told that they dont organise license any longer. So I am looking at this website http://www.ndls.ie/en/

I have no idea whats going on here. Do I need to get my IBT before I get a provisional Bike licence or do I get the provisional and then bring it to the IBT centre ?

do I get provisional bike status added to my current drivers license or do I have to carry a separate card ?

After passing the IBT do I need to carry a document saying I completed it with me when I bike in public ?

and forgive my confusion but whats the ''NDLS Booking Service'' ? Can I not just turn up in person and join the queue ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭beefjerky

great news I passed my theory test first time but I went straight over to smithfield (Dublin) and was told that they dont organise license any longer. So I am looking at this website http://www.ndls.ie/en/

I have no idea whats going on here. Do I need to get my IBT before I get a provisional Bike licence or do I get the provisional and then bring it to the IBT centre ?

do I get provisional bike status added to my current drivers license or do I have to carry a separate card ?

After passing the IBT do I need to carry a document saying I completed it with me when I bike in public ?

and forgive my confusion but whats the ''NDLS Booking Service'' ? Can I not just turn up in person and join the queue ?

Hi,

Now you have passed the theory test, go to NDLS for a learner permit in the category you want to add to your current license. Its 35e. Check the very bottom of this page for what you need to bring

http://www.ndls.ie/en/learner-permit/how-to-apply.html

As son as you get the learner permit in the post you can do the IBT. Not sure if is a seperate card or added to currebt license, but you need to submit your license when adding a category anyway...
    6 months after completion of IBT you can do the full license test.
    You wont need to carry something to say you have done ibt apart from insurance as, you cant get insured without ibt afaik.

The booking service is a trial thing in citywest ndls only, starting on monday. You can just join the queue though yeah. I would advise strongly to get there early in the day though. I got there at 8am, an hour before opening and there were 22 people ahead of me (in Santry).

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

And I think I'm correct in saying that even if you have a learner permit you cannot legally ride on the road and may not be covered by your insurance unless you have completed the IBT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

josh59 wrote: »
    And I think I'm correct in saying that even if you have a learner permit you cannot legally ride on the road and may not be covered by your insurance unless you have completed the IBT.

Your insurance company could pay out on any claim against you but try and recoup the money back from you. I've heard stories of this.

How strict is the eye test ? are there any stories about people who never even knew they needed glasses before being forced to wear them for a motorbike ? I was sent home from the licensing office to get an eye test even though my category B doesnt require glasses.

How strict is the eye test ? are there any stories about people who never even knew they needed glasses before being forced to wear them for a motorbike ? I was sent home from the licensing office to get an eye test even though my category B doesnt require glasses.

Do you think you need glasses? You need a new eyetest for every new category. And you'll pass easy enough if you're not totally blind...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 davefitz27

http://www.ndls.ie/en/learner-permit/how-to-apply.html

Where you hold a full licence but are now applying for a learner permit in a different category particular, you must submit:
    • A fully completed NDLS "Application Form for a Learner Permit"
    • The appropriate fee
    • Your current full licence
    • Theory Test certificate if required
    • CPC Certificate of Professional Competency (if applicable)
    • A completed NDLS Medical report form if required in your case
    • Evidence of PPSN

For those with a full car license wondering if they have to redo the theory test to get a motorbike learner permit:

If you passed the theory test before October 25th 2006 and now have a full car license, then you do not have to resit the theory test to get a motobike learner permit. This is the date that some segregation of license types took place (not sure what exactly - but this came from the RSA directly).

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You can check the date you took the theory test by calling RSA and giving them your driver number and requesting the info.

This is what I did, then when I got to the NDLS to apply for tha Cat A leaner permit I was expecting some friction on this and there was a little; the NDLS system has not built this feature in apparently! What happened then was the girl went to get a supervisor who had to call the head office as, to my surprise, "this has not come up before".

They then came back and said that as the system does not allow for this situation and all fields have to be complete, they would make up a theory test number so my application could be complete... Pre-October 25th 2006 theory test numbers must be in a different format or something - either way she said my theory test number was not on the system, but they could see I had done it and how long I had held a provisional before getting my full car license.

So my application had the following:
    Where you hold a full licence but are now applying for a learner permit in a different category particular, you must submit:
    A fully completed NDLS "Application Form for a Learner Permit" - Yes
    The appropriate fee - Yes
    Your current full licence -Yes
    Theory Test certificate if required - No
    CPC Certificate of Professional Competency (if applicable) - No
    A completed NDLS Medical report form if required in your case - No
    Evidence of PPSN - Yes

Hope this might be useful to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Please excuse a seemingly stupid question but here goes anyway...

Must the first ever learner permit you get be an A1 permit? or is it possible to get the A2 permit first off and ride larger bikes straight away.. I'm not a speed junkie, i'm just a bigger than average fella who's sat on a few friends 125's and not been at all comfortable...

• Advertisement

Iron Hide wrote: »
    Please excuse a seemingly stupid question but here goes anyway...

Must the first ever learner permit you get be an A1 permit? or is it possible to get the A2 permit first off and ride larger bikes straight away.. I'm not a speed junkie, i'm just a bigger than average fella who's sat on a few friends 125's and not been at all comfortable...

It depends on your age.... If you are 16, it's gotta be an A1. If you are 18 you can get an A2 and if you are 24 you can get an A Licence right off the bat.

Advertisement