Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updated Starting Out Guide for Motorcyclists (20/10/2013)

Options
12346»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

neilmb wrote: »
    so I have a car licence since 2007, and want to move to a 50CC moped. do I still need to do learner permit, IBT etc for a 50cc?

I came to ask the exact same question.

Want to start learning to ride a motorbike but want to start small with a moped first and see how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭enrique66_35

It depends on what categories and codes are on your car licence. From memory I think you're restricted to 49cc or less so basically nothing that wouldn't be safe on the road as unable to keep up with traffic etc..

The simplest solution is to contact NDLS and ask for clarity on what your licence covers (or look at the back of your licence and check the website for the codes) and decide from there but I suspect you'll find that anything that meets the criteria won't meet your needs/safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I had a provisional motorbike licence back when I first got one probably in 2002 I think. I was insured on a 125cc bike in 2010 or so on the provisional licence.
    Now all I have is a normal car driving licence. If I wanted to get a motorbike licence now, does the fact I had a provisional for one previously change anything?
    The process seems to have gotten ridiculously complicated since I last looked into this, I can't make sense of it but I think there's something in there that if you had a provisional before a certain date it changes things.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

I had a provisional motorbike licence back when I first got one probably in 2002 I think. I was insured on a 125cc bike in 2010 or so on the provisional licence.
    Now all I have is a normal car driving licence. If I wanted to get a motorbike licence now, does the fact I had a provisional for one previously change anything?
    The process seems to have gotten ridiculously complicated since I last looked into this, I can't make sense of it but I think there's something in there that if you had a provisional before a certain date it changes things.

It looks like its back to beginning for you regarding a Bike L/Permit.
    It cannot be renewed if its over 5 years expired.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

drunkhistory-funny-comedy-drunk-39pru9GPwMT6cEafLy

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Ugh. Do you know if I need one of those national ID cards? The NDLS says I need one to apply for a provisional, but when I google this the information doesn't seem to be clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭robbie_63

Ugh. Do you know if I need one of those national ID cards? The NDLS says I need one to apply for a provisional, but when I google this the information doesn't seem to be clear.

I think you only need it if you want to apply online,

I got my permit last year by getting an appointment to go into the NDLS office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

This is great stuff. I'm riding a month now. I must have watched 100 "things I wish I knew when started" videos on YT but no one told me to completely cover my neck to avoid wasp stings... head on collision with the fecker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

di11on wrote: »
    This is great stuff. I'm riding a month now. I must have watched 100 "things I wish I knew when started" videos on YT but no one told me to completely cover my neck to avoid wasp stings... head on collision with the fecker

Probably should tell you now to keep your visor closed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

yeah, esp this time of year in the evenings you get big Pheckers out: like getting hit by a golf ball.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 steven1987

Hi guys just a few questions...

I held a provisional licence back in 2007 for motorbikes I went on and start driving a car passed my full test.

I have applied for my bike licence again online and received it last week

Currently all bike cats are ticked wondering do I have to do the IBT training as I previously had a bike before (years ago)

I get it I'm starting out again I'm just unsure tbh ... I am also looking for a motorbike I was thinking about a 125cc scooter but if ibt has to be done I might aswel go in deep.

Another question

If I pass A test can I drive scooters A2 ?

Thanks everyone

Steven.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

All those with a Learner Permit are required to have a valid IBT Cert.

if you have a Category A licence it covers you for all the other bike categories e.g. A2.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 abmoto

I see that the post on the first page was last updated in 2013? Do all the points in that post still hold good though?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

What's a decent starter bike for 27YO male, in Cat A. ? I've a full B Licence and want to start to learn? I will get the theory and learner permit first and do the IBT with instructor's bike but want to have an eye on something.

I like pieces of sh!te that I can tinker with myself, for example I've had MK1 Yaris for last 5 years and have changed out nearly everything on it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

See how you get on with ibt, you will be in a position to know the different types of bikes. Another thing to consider is what will you get insured on for a reasonable cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Hard to beat an unrestricted SV650

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Though this was the best place for this query.

An A1 bike is under 125cc

An A2 bike is a bike with power up to 35kw

For the purposes of doing your test for an A2 license is there an actual lower limit of power?

I’m currently riding a Royal Enfield Meteor 350. It has a power output of 15kw.

Can I use this bike for the purpose of a test for an A2 license?

Hope this makes sense.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Yes, it's above 125cc and below 35kw... It's an A2 bike. If you have any trouble, just tell them I sent you...

Cheers, that’s what I thought.

My IBT instructor told me for the A2 test the bike needed to be at least 20kw. I didn’t question it but it didn’t make sense to me.

Maybe he was trying to ensure I’d rent a bike off him for the test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

A category A2 vehicle is defined as a motorcycle without a sidecar, with a cylinder capacity of at least 245cm3. It has an engine power of at least 20 kW, but not exceeding 35 kW. 

https://www.rsa.ie/services/learner-drivers/get-qualified/medium-sized-motorcycle---a2

Looks like your bike falls outside the range: 20.2bhp / 14.87kW @ 6100rpm

So my bike is neither an A1 or an A2. It’s an A1.5??😁

There is no test I could do on my bike.

That’s nuts, or am I missing something?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There are bikes which are not suitable for any test class.

You need an A2 LP or licence to ride your bike, but you can't take an A2 test on it.

Similar thing with lots of bikes over 35kW so need Class A but can't be used for the Class A test.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Thanks lads for the clarifications.

I also found this which clarifies further.

Advertisement