Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poet, Activist, Parkinson's sufferer and Granny (79) gets jailed for 6 months.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

jimboblep wrote: »
    She willfully broke the law in this state it doesnt matter what your motives or principles are the law is the law
    Also she had an opportunity to stay out of prison and decided not to take it
    To all the bleeding hearts talking about the evil US unless they are breaking our laws on our territory its nothing to do with us and all the angst in the world wont change a thing

I'm fairly sure participating in abduction , kidnap and torture are against at least one or two Irish laws....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

So if somone doesnt agree with a law on principle its ok to break it

It's the spirit of protest, legitimate or otherwise. Ever heard of Rosa Parks? She broke the law and was a catalyst for change.

I hope that's not too bleeding heart for you but it's bleeding obvious that change comes about through such actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭jimboblep

aaabbbb wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure participating in abduction , kidnap and torture are against at least one or two Irish laws....

If its perpetrated in irish territory it is yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

sometimes the law has to be broken
    one person does it,they're an idiot.

3 people do it , they are idiots.

Thousands do it , then yes the law has to be changed.

At the moment they are just idiots.

old hippy wrote: »
    It's the spirit of protest, legitimate or otherwise. Ever heard of Rosa Parks? She broke the law and was a catalyst for change.

I hope that's not too bleeding heart for you but it's bleeding obvious that change comes about through such actions.

Did rosa parks endanger lives directly

• Advertisement

Did rosa parks endanger lives directly

Yes, white lives. That white passenger might have passed away due to the shock of not being given Rosa's seat.

But hey, that's just liberal talk and someone else's problem - nothing to do with us, right? :D

Yes, white lives. That white passenger might have passed away due to the shock of not being given Rosa's seat.

But hey, that's just liberal talk and someone else's problem - nothing to do with us, right? :D

Bit of a silly comeback

Bit of a silly comeback

Bit of a silly question to begin with

How so i asked if rosa parks endangered a life directly and just so we understand each other i applaud her bravery, my issue in this particular case is this woman endangered lives by walking onto an active runway
    Their is a legitimate reason why runways are restricted she broke the law
    So i ask again is it ok to break the law and endanger other people to safisfy our principles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Why was it silly?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Amazing to see in type how the Irish have wimped out for the yankee dolla. Sad too.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Amazing to see in type how the Irish have wimped out for the yankee dolla. Sad too.

I fail to see how this particular case is wimping out to the yankee doller
    The woman broke the law was arrested and prosecuted under irish law
    The americans had absolutly zero involvement in the case
    She has a legitimate right to protest but this is not a licence to break the law

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

Better than yuans or rubles....2 cultures that are completely alien to us

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

The recent push by the UK/US and others to intervene directly in Syria was defeated because politicians are listening to people like those who were against the war in Iraq.

Ah, there is a big country that get in the way of your so called fact.
    Russia. The uk us did not invade because of russia.
    Its a big country that has nuclear weapons and is ramping up their empire building again after their breakdown of the 90's

liberal lefty loons out walking had nothing to do with it.

Also expect in the future for Russia to deal severely with Saudi Arabia.
    During the Spring/summer Saudi arabia threatened Russia saying they will send chechens in to bomb russia during winter olympics if russia kept on supporting assad.....they didnt stop And as we saw there was a few bombs let off. There will be more.

So russia is already organising armed groups from the former states and a few other allies to send to syria....I wonder what the response from usa/uk gov will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I fail to see how this particular case is wimping out to the yankee doller
    The woman broke the law was arrested and prosecuted under irish law
    The americans had absolutly zero involvement in the case
    She has a legitimate right to protest but this is not a licence to break the law

If the yankee's were not in Shannon...sod it, couldn't be bothered, really couldn't be bothered getting into this. I'll go do something productive on her behalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

kupus wrote: »
    Russia...

Bla bla bla Russia bla bla bla.

The US/UK/Saudi didn't give a shit about annoying the Soviet Union (Afghanistan) when it actually posed a bit of a threat and you think they're now all scared?

Clueless.

Bla bla bla Russia bla bla bla.

The US/UK/Saudi didn't give a shit about annoying the Soviet Union (Afghanistan) when it actually posed a bit of a threat and you think they're now all scared?

Clueless.

The russians do have a naval base in syria and were deploying warships to the area while i dont think this is the only reason the US backed off to think it was purely because of anti war protests is massively overestimating their importance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Agreed as a protest I now refuse to work for any yankee company, watch any yankee films or tv shows or listen to any yankee music.

Gonna miss Game of Thrones :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

to think it was purely because of anti war protests is massively overestimating their importance

The US and UK administration/govt wanted to hammer Syria. The UK parliament voted against it and there was no political will for it in the US.

The US/UK, along with the Saudis, would love to have Iran's ally removed from the game. The great showdown between Americky and the Russians only features in the minds of war comic readers who are lovers of explosions, shock-and-awe, bright colours and shiny things.

The US and UK administration/govt wanted to hammer Syria. The UK parliament voted against it and there was no political will for it in the US.

The US/UK, along with the Saudis, would love to have Iran's ally removed from the game. The Russians only feature in the minds of war comic readers who are lovers of explosions, shock-and-awe, bright colours and shiny things.

So if anti war protesters are so important why didnt the biggest anti war protests of all time(before the iraq war) fail to halt that senseless conflict
    As i mentioned previously russia was a factor as the naval base is considered sovereign russian territory and how do you think they wouldve reacted to an assault on their territory which is how they would of viewed it
    Also russia was bolstering its forces in the area with additional warships to deny russia as a factor in the equation is a little bit naive

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Delighted she got sent down. Sick of these crusties hanging around like a bad smell at our airport. Most local people around Shannon are happy to have the US military use the airport despite the propaganda that groups like shannonwatch like to peddle.
    I have nothing to be ashamed of buddy. Very happy to support the US military in their pursuit of the likes of the taliban and al qaeda wherever they may be. That's the way I look at it. You may not agree and that's fine. ... that's your opinion. Shannonwatch would have everyone believe that the whole irish populace is against the military using Shannon. Not the case

Oh right, the likes of the taliban and al qaeda...oh, you have much to learn about the world...

I think it's shameful that we enable the US military to do what they do. No backbone whatsoever in this country. This video was shocking to watch, I'm sure the soldier's shoes are well shined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Yes, I'm bisexual and am pretty open about it. Most posters here that I debate with are aware of that. I fail to see what bearing my sexuality has on the discussion, though?

If so, why bring it up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

He seemed to get bogged down in his utterances a few minutes into his answer. Did he not do public speaking at college? Regardless whether you agree or disagree with him, his answer loses some gravitas in his inability to articulate those beliefs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

I have nothing to be ashamed of buddy. Very happy to support the US military in their pursuit of the likes of the taliban and al qaeda wherever they may be. That's the way I look at it. You may not agree and that's fine. ... that's your opinion. Shannonwatch would have everyone believe that the whole irish populace is against the military using Shannon. Not the case

they're working with taliban and al CIAda, conspiring with them, funding them, arming them, using them as patsys in proxy wars

war on terror me fcuking hole!!

kupus wrote: »
    Russia. The uk us did not invade because of russia.
    Its a big country that has nuclear weapons and is ramping up their empire building again after their breakdown of the 90's

liberal lefty loons out walking had nothing to do with it.

Also expect in the future for Russia to deal severely with Saudi Arabia.
    During the Spring/summer Saudi arabia threatened Russia saying they will send chechens in to bomb russia during winter olympics if russia kept on supporting assad.....they didnt stop And as we saw there was a few bombs let off. There will be more.

So russia is already organising armed groups from the former states and a few other allies to send to syria....I wonder what the response from usa/uk gov will be.

it's crazy to think Putin walked into a room with 7 of the other leaders of the world and they all walked out of that meeting with their tail between their legs!!

So if anti war protesters are so important why didnt the biggest anti war protests of all time(before the iraq war) fail to halt that senseless conflict

simply because they didn't go far enough, knowing what we know now and ifwe could go back in time would you join the protestors until the US\UK fcuked off with their phoney war???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

She only has herself to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

sometimes the law has to be broken, this is one of those occasions

So do we defer to you when we decide whether its a legitimate enough reason or do we decide ourselves? I'm sure everyone thinks their reasons for doing things are legitimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Chucken wrote: »
    Limerick prison is not like that.
    Granted, I'm basing it mostly on what I know of Mountjoy, but they're both Dochas Centres, Limerick women's prison is definitely not a steel-doored, ****-in-front-of-everyone-else kind of prison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DwightSchrute1

they're working with taliban and al CIAda, conspiring with them, funding them, arming them, using them as patsys in proxy wars

war on terror me fcuking hole!!

I think you're looking for the Conspiracy Theories forum!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement