Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving tasks to the last minute

Options
  • 12-01-2014 4:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭

I was given an assignment in October, due tomorrow, and I started it yesterday. Absolute disaster, kicking myself for not starting it earlier.

Have you any good stories of rushing to meet deadlines from putting things off to the last minute?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Panic is the best sauce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Due tomorrow? Do tomorrow. In my class we say nothing makes an engineer more productive than the last minute.

In college they had a workshop on procrastination and I thought to myself "hmm, that will be useful for me, I'll just go to the next one", next one came around and I said the same thing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭sonyvision

If it wasnt for the last 5 minutes of everything i would never have gotten any thing done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

I always leave tasks till the last minute OP and that's why I still wear nappies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

There's a word for that.. what's the word again?... I'll get back to you with the word.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

There's a word for that.. what's the word again?... I'll get back to you with the word.

Procras.........

Fuggit I'll finish typing it tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

13000 words due for Monday. 8000 done as of this minute.

I have no "got the assignment done on time" stories OP, they're all last minute things. I've always gotten good enough marks too, I just function best under pressure. I think. I've never been organised enough to have a point of comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today so you can do something different tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

Lapin wrote: »
    Procras.........

Fuggit I'll finish typing it tomorrow.

Be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I did all my assignments at the last minute for my LLB, I give my best work under the pressure of the clock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Looks like I'm the only one that likes to get assignments finished ASAP. Preferred to have college projects finished 2-3 weeks early to reread & update.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 383 ✭✭Mike747

6000 words due tomorrow night and here I am dossin on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Mike747 wrote: »
    6000 words due tomorrow night and here I am dossin on boards.

If 6000 of us give you one word each, will that help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

8k thesis due in 2 weeks. I'll start tomorrow. Promise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 383 ✭✭Mike747

Chucken wrote: »
    If 6000 of us give you one word each, will that help?

Can't imagine it'll be much worse than what I'm writing now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Looks like I'm the only one that likes to get assignments finished ASAP. Preferred to have college projects finished 2-3 weeks early to reread & update.

Thats my New Year's resolution.

I aim to start on Paddy's Weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

One assignment given in October and two in November. Typed 14,000 words between Tuesday and Thursday. Have the last one to do tonight due tomorrow. Have volunteer work between 6 and 9 this evening.
    If I can report back that it has been done, I'd like a small parade.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

13000 words due for Monday. 8000 done as of this minute.

Complete the report in 10,000 words or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Whenever I get an assignment done well in advance, which is very rare, either the lecturer then offers a whole different take on it that's a lot better than mine so I end up redoing most of it anyway, or else I get so panicked by everyone else's "omg that's such a hard assignment I don't even know where to start" that I doubt myself and worry until the due date, which is worse than panicking over getting it done in time.

I usually need the deadline looming to get myself motivated, otherwise I keep saying "ah I have the groundwork done, its just a case of putting it all down on paper", that is never the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Doing a presentation now that's due for 9 tomorrow. I've known about it for 3 months. Kicking myself now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

i work best when under pressure, always leave things till the last minute

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭knotknowbody

Have 5000 words due for midnight tonight, know about it since early October, plan on making a start as soon as the Liverpool match is over.:mad::mad::mad: Everyone has one talent, mine's procrastination.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭sinead88

The last minute dash basically ends up being my action plan for everything. I think I just need the adrenaline to work well. When I was in uni I had an awful habit of going on nights out, then coming home and writing essays to be handed in the next day. Somehow I always did fine. Every time I end up pulling an all nighter or leaving something till the last possible minute I promise myself that I'll be more prepared next time around. That has yet to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

And it's "Glenroe feeling" time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

I've four test this week n I've only started studying now :-( well in a few min whenever I get off boards

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Due tomorrow? Do tomorrow. In my class we say nothing makes an engineer more productive than the last minute.

In college they had a workshop on procrastination and I thought to myself "hmm, that will be useful for me, I'll just go to the next one", next one came around and I said the same thing again.

I don't need a workshop on procrastination, I'm a ****ing expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

8k thesis due in 2 weeks. I'll start tomorrow. Promise.
    My thesis

k k k k k k k k.

Just copy and paste my friend. Now you can waste the next two weeks on boards and swiggin' cider.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

I have to write the conclusion and do the bibliography for an essay due tomorrow at four and then immediately start the other essay I have due Wednesday. Had over a month to do them....

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

What I would give to be like that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

I have 3,000 words due for Tuesday. I'm normally prepared-ish for assignments but I dislike the module/lecturer. Typed 700 or so bullsh!t words today. Finding my Roget's Thesaurus riveting at the moment.

Advertisement