Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

India?

Options
  • 12-01-2014 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I will be going to India next month and was looking for some info.....

I plan on going to New Delhi, and then just spending a day at the Taj Mahal in Agra

Basically I've heard mixed reviews about New Delhi. Has anyone ever been?

Any safety tips for tourists, or any additional advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭masterboy123

India is a very beautiful place to visit special in February, the weather will be pleasant.

Taj Mahal in Agra, Qutub minar in Delhi and several other tourists places are there. Consider going to Jaipur as well, its known s Pink city.
    The food cuisine is real good.

Make sure you keep your passport and tickets safely and watch out for taxi prices, some times they may increase the price if they see you are a foreigner. Best is to book taxi from the hotel where you will be staying, otherwise its safe to visit, no problem at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Student5679

hey,
    I live there... well it's alright, personally I like cleaner places but it is my home country. Anyway there is not a lot of places to visit in New Delhi itself. Go to Agra there is red fort and Taj Mahal off course. Btw avoid trains at all costs they are terrible you will not get a ticket anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

It has been about eight years since I have been and having arrived in New Delhi at night and overland, dawn was quite a sight. Depending on how well travelled you are, it will be delight or a shock, even both. The poverty (I am sure there is a better word - difference in standards of living) can take you back. You have to accept that you are fair game and seen as source of income. Not thieving but overcharging, take it in your stride and do so with good humour, haggling is a way of life. Be firm on your intentions when getting into a taxi etc, no side trips. Having said that some of the best advice we got was from well meaning strangers.

We got some suits made up over a week in Lajpat Nagar Central Market (Paul and Sons) and they were pretty good, if light material, well it it is for a warmer climate. If you are staying for a few weeks then get some local clothes etc. If going to the Taj, try and get there for dawn, the buildings take on some great colours with the sun rise.

The other odd thing and this could have changed since out stay was that chasing traveller checks was a very tedious affair.

Above all enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭dinnyirwin

You can buy a stick to beat the little urchins that surround you off.
    Seriously though, once they see you with the stick, they assume you are a seasoned tourist and will pick the next person without a stick to hassle

Advertisement