Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New mattress!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

The Gride wrote: »
    How long have you rented to them

Going by what the OP said so far, less than 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭The Gride

ScottStorm wrote: »
    Hmm, Perhaps they have a bad back?

.............. or a bad mattress. I'm not saying which or taking sides but you can't buy a mattress for someone else. It's a very personal thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭deebee08

ScottStorm wrote: »
    Hmm, Perhaps they have a bad back?

Maybe. I don't mean to sound nasty here but that's not my problem. I rent myself too and if I had a bad back I wouldnt expect my landlord to fork out for expensive furniture for me, I'd bring my own. The sofas in the apartment I'm renting are not the most comfortable or supportive but I just bought a load of scatter cushions and a footstool which do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭deebee08

syklops wrote: »
    Going by what the OP said so far, less than 2 years.

Less than 2 months.

Ask the shop that sold you the mattress if they can help in any way. If the mattress is clean they may be able to sell it as a slightly used mattress to someone. That way you won't lose out too much and consult the tenant and get it sorted as there are lots of empty houses in different parts of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

.............. or a bad mattress. I'm not saying which or taking sides but you can't buy a mattress for someone else. It's a very personal thing.
    Like underwear, which is why tenants should buy their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

Op to be honest I think it's time you explain firmly but clearly to them that the new mattress you provided is of good quality and if they don't like it then they should provide their own.
    I've rented and had to buy my own furniture and never thought twice. The LL provided a wardrobe n bedside locker but it wasn't enough so i bought drawers etc. I didn't like his iron or ironing board so bought my own, likewise with his cutlery etc.
    To me it was there if I needed it but it was my choice to get better quality , like it's your tenant's choice to get a new mattress if they don't like yours . You sound reasonable taking the old one for storage, what more can they expect

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭McDook

murphaph wrote: »
    Tenants should buy their own bed & mattresses and take them with them like in most civilised countries. Sleeping on a used mattress is disgusting but so long as Irish tenants want their landlords to provide everything then that's what they can expect.

Totally agree. A mattress is the most disgusting thing that I always encountered when moving. I always had a good look at them and there are always sweat or piss stains on them. It makes my skin crawl.

Bought our own bed and mattress to take with us where ever we go but sometimes LLs cant store their own bed and mattress so you either dont rent the place or store the old bed and mattress in there anyway.

It would be much easier if the standard was either unfurnished or at least no bed when you rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭McDook

Ask the shop that sold you the mattress if they can help in any way. If the mattress is clean they may be able to sell it as a slightly used mattress to someone. That way you won't lose out too much and consult the tenant and get it sorted as there are lots of empty houses in different parts of the country.

Shops dont take mattresses back at all. Same rules as underwear or electric blankets.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Rosier

McDook wrote: »
    Totally agree. A mattress is the most disgusting thing that I always encountered when moving. I always had a good look at them and there are always sweat or piss stains on them. It makes my skin crawl.

Bought our own bed and mattress to take with us where ever we go but sometimes LLs cant store their own bed and mattress so you either dont rent the place or store the old bed and mattress in there anyway.

It would be much easier if the standard was either unfurnished or at least no bed when you rent.

I have always put a solid mattress cover on rental beds. just cannot afford to buy new mattresses. the one I have now was clear of those filthy stains; not limited to what you wrote either
    :eek:
    a lot re comfort depends on the bed base; slatted wood or a board under the mattress can make all the difference, rather than a divan base.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Rosier wrote: »
    I have always put a solid mattress cover on rental beds. just cannot afford to buy new mattresses. the one I have now was clear of those filthy stains; not limited to what you wrote either
    :eek:
    a lot re comfort depends on the bed base; slatted wood or a board under the mattress can make all the difference, rather than a divan base.
    The problem with mattress covers in my experience is that ultimately to block liquids they must be waterproof and this leads to an uncomfortable sleeping experience as (at least in high summer in Germany) you tend to sweat more or at least your sweat can't be absorbed into the mattress to you feel sweatier.

My partner and I removed the mattress cover we bought as a result and will just let our mattress accumulate stains instead. It's our own mattress anyway so those stains don't really bother us, we just assumed a mattress cover would enable us to keep the mattress like new, but it was just too uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Rosier

murphaph wrote: »
    The problem with mattress covers in my experience is that ultimately to block liquids they must be waterproof and this leads to an uncomfortable sleeping experience as (at least in high summer in Germany) you tend to sweat more or at least your sweat can't be absorbed into the mattress to you feel sweatier.

My partner and I removed the mattress cover we bought as a result and will just let our mattress accumulate stains instead. It's our own mattress anyway so those stains don't really bother us, we just assumed a mattress cover would enable us to keep the mattress like new, but it was just too uncomfortable.

ah I see

you can get more permeable ones; I was raised always to have a thick blanket under the sheet for warmth anyway so that acts as a good barrier both ways. stops me adding stains when I spill coffee too in bed. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

As with many others here, I would definitely advise the op/landlord to advise tenants that if they're not happy with the mattress that they can replace themselves (sort the storage details between yourselves) and hopefully that will solve the problem. They may be chancing their arm to see what you will do but at the end of the day you've supplied the basics which they accepted upon signing their lease.

I would, however, love to know what imbecile came up with the idea of furnished houses/flats in this country. It's a nightmare. It would be so much easier for both tenant and landlord to rent unfurnished - as a clean sweep of the house/flat could be done at the end/beginning of each tenancy making things easier for the tenant moving to take everything and for the landlord to paint/repair the actual house (not contents). A previous post mentions that young people don't have money to furnish a house/flat, but I myself was young when I rented my first apartment (in NY) and had to furnish it completely myself - obviously this was done bit by bit--this is the norm there and no one gives it another thought in the US; and I believe it's the same in Australia.

Here though, we've found that some tenants renting a house can love it when viewing and once they're in nitpick over things. We had a tenant once try to deduct money from the rent for flowers she planted in the garden - absolutely ludicrous! I am definitely in favour of renting unfurnished but as McDook says - most won't look at unfurnished places - it would be great to have a united front of landlords renting only unfurnished to change this.

McDook wrote: »
    Shops dont take mattresses back at all. Same rules as underwear or electric blankets.

All depends on the shop it is. Firstly, it could be faulty and if so they have obligations. Secondly, the shop (which is well known on here) that I have bought all my stuff off have a policy with everything they sell ( including mattresses) that if you are not happy with it that they will take it back, no quibble once it's in the same condition as you bought it and I know people that bought items and they did exchange them for other items a short time later.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Potatoeman wrote: »
    That because most are.

Exactly. Unfortunately most LL do not have to facilities to store furniture where the tenant does not need it.
    Potatoeman wrote: »
    The matress thing could be back related. Soft matresses can be sore for people with back issues but they should have mentioned this to you if you were replacing it.

If someone has a back issue it is their own responsibility to look after it. More reason to buy their own mattress.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 FiveSive

My friend is renting and has same issue with uncomfortable mattress, the mattress does not look old and the rest of the furniture in the house is lovely. She didn't even think to request a new mattress from landlord, as she felt it wasn't his issue. She just bought her own. If its not broken or faulty, I think you shouldn't have to replace it.
    If it is a really really cheap one though I would replace it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I rent and would never in a million years sleep on a landlord provided mattress (Unless I knew that it was new) God knows what is in it

The tenants in this case should be given the phone number for the nearest furniture store and told good luck to you, find your own.

The OP sounds like a genuine landlord who has done more already that he has to.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

The mattress in my current flat is rubbish. It didn't really bother me as I could sleep anywhere, but the OH insisted we do something about it. Since I wasn't prepared to buy a new mattress, since we're likely not to be in the UK long term, we got a mattress topper made of memory foam. Fantastic buy, much more comfortable bed now and we don't have to worry about the size of a mattress if we move.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

The mattress in my current flat is rubbish. It didn't really bother me as I could sleep anywhere, but the OH insisted we do something about it. Since I wasn't prepared to buy a new mattress, since we're likely not to be in the UK long term, we got a mattress topper made of memory foam. Fantastic buy, much more comfortable bed now and we don't have to worry about the size of a mattress if we move.

You do know Ireland isn't in the UK don't you?

I will be putting a house up for rent later this year and had considered trying to rent it unfurnished because I live in Australia and that is the norm here and it works really well for most people. But the general opinion here seems to be that it wouldn't work in Ireland. I wonder if I offered it a little cheaper would I maybe get a family that may have their own furniture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

aido79 wrote: »

I will be putting a house up for rent later this year and had considered trying to rent it unfurnished because I live in Australia and that is the norm here and it works really well for most people. But the general opinion here seems to be that it wouldn't work in Ireland. I wonder if I offered it a little cheaper would I maybe get a family that may have their own furniture.

Put it up, it's no harm. I'm renting semifurnished and love it. We're able to purchase as we go along while saving over the next few years for a house. There's more of us now with the housing market the way it is

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

aido79 wrote: »

My point was I didn't expect the landlord to replace a mattress that was fine but not suitable for us.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Folks the thread has gone completely off topic, however the furnished/unfurnished debate is a valid one.

Do ye want a new thread? I can move over the related posts from here.

Morri

Mod Edit: Furnished/Unfurnished Debate can be continued here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057123033#

Advertisement