Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CheckSmyths.com now live

Options
  • 16-11-2012 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

It was brought to my attention this week that Smyths (toys.ie) have added a stock checker to their site, I couldn't resist giving it the checkargos treatment :)

CheckSmyths.com

For anyone who has used checkargos it should feel very familiar!

I literally started working on this last night, so I only have given this limited testing, but it seems to be working as expected.

As always I would love to hear any feedback you may have.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

You're a hero!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Loving it. :D

Thanking you a million times sir.

Hopefully more Irish stores will start to include this.
    Allowing you to work your magic :D

If there was an icon with hearts in it's eyes.. love.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

The Smyths website has had a great stock checker for ages now. What does this site give that you cant do on their own website already? It also has the wrong price on the one item i checked. It is a tenner cheaper on the smyths website than this website says it is . Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Ludo wrote: »
    The Smyths website has had a great stock checker for ages now. What does this site give that you cant do on their own website already? It also has the wrong price on the one item i checked. It is a tenner cheaper on the smyths website than this website says it is . Am I missing something?
    It will check all Smyths and tell you if any have stock rather than one by one checking yourself I think is the idea. It looks like its taking the RRP rather than the selling price but either way its to show stock rather than prices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

It will check all Smyths and tell you if any have stock rather than one by one checking yourself I think is the idea. It looks like its taking the RRP rather than the selling price but either way its to show stock rather than prices

First bug I guess :)

I guess the product page I was using to build the site was full price.

I'll have a look at that this evening, thanks (and to Ludo).

As mentioned the purpose is to check multiple stores at once. Which might come in handy coming up to Christmas or if there is a special on something.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Pixied

Well I think you're great :)

Price bug should be fixed now, thanks for pointing it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Great job, might have to make use of this in work! ;)

If you're doing any updates etc. (or want a friendly suggestion) you could try add the pre-played games in as a backup option on the software items?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Any plans for 'Clearance Checker' functionality? Is it possible for Smyths?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

It probably is, but you'll find more bargains in store than what's posted on the website, even the Deal of the Week under software is missing a lot of decently priced games.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

Hi

just tried to check couple of items on the website and all comeback with "Unknown Status" is it still working?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

nava wrote: »
    Hi

just tried to check couple of items on the website and all comeback with "Unknown Status" is it still working?

Same here...

Hasn't worked in a while actually. I must get around to finding out whats wrong with it. It was never that popular though typicaly checkargos would have more traffic in a a few days than checksmyths was getting in a month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Hasn't worked in a while actually. I must get around to finding out whats wrong with it. It was never that popular though typicaly checkargos would have more traffic in a a few days than checksmyths was getting in a month

It would be great if you did get it working i only found out about it now i use checkargos all the time it is great thanks for your hard work in making it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

It would be great if you did get it working i only found out about it now i use checkargos all the time it is great thanks for your hard work in making it.
    maybe a way to bring the smyths checker to more peoples attention would be to have it linked on the more popular checkargos site?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Very useful thanks!

Hi guys,

Checksmyths.com is back up and running again. There is a couple of issues but if you put in the product code it will check the stock of every store

Issues:
    1) The price is not showing up

2) Sometimes none of the item's information shows up (even when this happens the stock check still works)

If you run into any issues please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

Brilliant work on this!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭davetherave

It seems to be picking up the name of the item incorrectly?

http://www.checksmyths.com/StockCheckPage.php?productId=142493

http://www.checksmyths.com/StockCheckPage.php?productId=138807

Taking these two for example, it shows the correct picture, and the stock status seems to match up but it is giving the wrong name, and the link is linking to the wrong product on the Smyths website.

• Advertisement

It seems to be picking up the name of the item incorrectly?

http://www.checksmyths.com/StockCheckPage.php?productId=142493

http://www.checksmyths.com/StockCheckPage.php?productId=138807

Taking these two for example, it shows the correct picture, and the stock status seems to match up but it is giving the wrong name, and the link is linking to the wrong product on the Smyths website.

Thanks for the examples, I'll take a look into whats going on next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭davetherave

Some more examples for you, if they help.

On this Lego Technic set 128045 every thing is fine on the stock check , as is this remote control helicopter. Smyths link Stock check link

But this Kiddies Sandbox is being called something else on the stock check site.

And this Avengers Lego set is being called a Disney Princess Lunchbox on the stock checker. And then the lunch box is being Id'ed as something else, which in turn is being ID'ed as something else, and so on.

Advertisement