Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ladbrokes Messing me about

• 09-01-2014 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭

Last Saturday at 14:30 I placed a €0.50 lucky 15 bet on the FA Cup 3rd Round matches in my local Ladbrokes store in Ballinasloe. It was Spurs 7/1, Sheffield United 14/1, Swansea 16/1 and Cardiff 8/1. I was delighted on Sunday evening when I thought I had won €1439.50. I rang the phone number of the Ballinasloe shop in the Golden Pages to tell them I was on my way in to collect the bet, this is where the fun started.

I was diverted through to a customer support centre in England and put on hold for 20 minutes without an explanation, I had to hang up but phoned back later and after another 25 minutes a gentleman called Nick told me that the prices had changed and at the time of the bet the odds were Sheffield United 15/2, Swansea 9/2 and Cardiff 7/2 and he would ring me back in order to confirm this.

He phoned back and told me that the prices at the time of the bet were Sheffield United 12/1, Swansea 9/1 and Cardiff 8/1. I enquired as to why the odds were different and he responded 'She does not know what she is doing', and then he informed me that the area manager would call me regarding this decision on Tuesday.
    I accepted this expecting €770 and awaited the phone call the next day. This unfortunately never came so I called into the shop in Ballinasloe to collect the €770 but was offered only €208. I again left my phone number with the staff and asked them to call me but alas still no phone call. I think Ladbrokes are at fault for not pointing out the change of odds at the time the bet was placed, then giving me different sets of prices on at least two different occasions, and then informing me that they would contact and yet I still haven't heard from.
    I haven't a clue what to do but I suspect €208 is all I will get if these are the prices that they are saying were correct when I put the bet on.
    Any advice would be welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Where did you get 16/1 Swansea from out of interest, I don't think they were ever that price? Maybe it was a HT/FT price?
    In general where did you get the prices from - screen, coupon, staff member?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭patmac

Where did you get 16/1 Swansea from out of interest, I don't think they were ever that price? Maybe it was a HT/FT price?
    In general where did you get the prices from - screen, coupon, staff member?
    Hi I got the prices off the coupon, I just rang them direct and they confirmed the prices as 9/2,9/2 and 5/1 at the time of the bet, so I suppose I don't have a leg to stand on.
    I still think the whole thing was shambolic and the fact that I was given 3 different sets of prices tends to suggest that they are very loose in their pricing.
    Still no phone call from the Area manager, I wonder is it worth pursuing further?

I think you are mistaken re the coupon price - looking at the other bookies on oddsportal the biggest opening price for Swansea seems to have been about 7/1, then backed down to around 5.5s/6s. Little chance Ladbrokes were ever double everyone elses price.
    (Laddies aren't on oddsportal except for members which is a pity)
    http://www.oddsportal.com/soccer/england/fa-cup-2013-2014/manchester-united-swansea-xxUXL4LQ/

Can't help you more unfortunately, maybe someone else will have the coupon to check, or maybe be able to hunt Ladbrokes prices at a specific time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Juwwi

I wouldn't be surprised if you were looking at the wrong coupon.

Maybe the coupon you had was the both teams to score and a team to win the match.

Did every team score in the 3 games that won.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭DB74

OK I had a look on Oddsportal there so here's the price history according to them

Swansea to win
    30-Dec 11:20 6/1
    02-Jan 12:35 7/1
    04-Jan 14:04 13/2
    04-Jan 22:03 6/1
    05-Jan 16:22 5/1
    05-Jan 15:31 11/2

HT:FT - Swansea:Swansea
    30-Dec 11:20 16/1
    02-Jan 12:35 14/1
    04-Jan 14:04 12/1

• Advertisement

Just checked the games both teams did score.

Go back into the shop and ask them to print off the coupon for both teams to score and the team to win and check the prices.

I bet Ladbrokes know exactly what bet the prices matched.

For further info here's the HT:FT odds for the other matches

Sheffield Utd
    30-Dec 11:19 16/1
    02-Jan 12:35 12/1
    03-Jan 16:41 10/1
    04-Jan 14:04 9/1
    04-Jan 14:59 8/1

Cardiff
    30-Dec 11:19 7/1
    03-Jan 18:06 8/1
    03-Jan 22:46 15/2
    04-Jan 14:59 8/1

Spurs
    30-Dec 11:20 7/1
    30-Dec 20:46 13/2
    02-Jan 12:35 6/1
    03-Jan 16:41 5/1
    04-Jan 14:04 9/2

Looking at those prices I'd say you did a HT:FT coupon instead of a 1x2 coupon

DB74 can you see the both teams to score and team to win prices ?

The prices match your h-t f-t theory but surely the half time full time coupon
    would be clear as to what your backing or is it in the normal coupon format?

Robbie I think you could be right actually

Just popped into the Ladbrokes downstairs from me here and they do have a "Result Rush" coupon which states

"FOR THE MATCH RESULT TO BE A WINNING BET, BOTH TEAMS MUST SCORE!"

so I reckon it could be that. It's eerily similar to the normal coupon and I missed the statement first time around. In fairness the prices give it away though and anyone familiar with betting would never believe that all those prices were 1x2 prices. They're too good to be true.

I couldn't see one for HT:FT although the girls said that not all the coupon for the weekend were printed yet.

robbie1977 wrote: »
    DB74 can you see the both teams to score and team to win prices ?

Sorry missed this first time around. Oddsportal don't have that info.

• Advertisement

The thing is if that is the coupon he took the prices from all the teams did
    score so he should be due the original €1439.50 he thought he won.

If the OP could get his hands on one of those coupons from Saturday
    just to confirm the prices match his he can then claim that he wanted to
    back from that coupon.

As I said earlier I bet Ladbrokes know what bet the prices matched and it's
    quite possible if one or two of the teams had of won to nil they would be claiming them as losers.

robbie1977 wrote: »
    The thing is if that is the coupon he took the prices from all the teams did
    score so he should be due the original €1439.50 he thought he won.

This is his docket, I don't really think he could claim the full €1439 amount here even if it has happened as we now think.
    Because say they'd all just won 1-0, I reckon we'd be saying he's entitled to the winners at the proper odds as its clear imo from the docket that he is intending to back these four teams just to win.
    So perhaps a split stake settlement is the best he could hope for?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88321195&postcount=345

No, don't see how you can claim it was anything other than 1x2 win prices because it's a handwritten docket.

Unless others have prior experience of successfully arguing with the bookmaker that you meant to back something different to what was on the docket.

Thanks for all the replies lads
    here is the bet, I can see where the confusion is:
    7NFn6J.jpg

This is his docket, I don't really think he could claim the full €1439 amount here even if it has happened as we now think.
    Because say they'd all just won 1-0, I reckon we'd be saying he's entitled to the winners at the proper odds as its clear imo from the docket that he is intending to back these four teams just to win.
    So perhaps a split stake settlement is the best he could hope for?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88321195&postcount=345
    DB74 wrote: »
    No, don't see how you can claim it was anything other than 1x2 win prices because it's a handwritten docket.

Unless others have prior experience of successfully arguing with the bookmaker that you meant to back something different to what was on the docket.

Yea I think you's are right.

Only hope would be and it would still be small is if OP got a coupon printed from a different shop (Im sure it would still be on the computer where they print them from) and return to original shop with the coupon pretending he had it at home and act dump in saying this is the coupon he was backing.
    He'd have to say he forgot to write the "Result Rush" part on docket.

One very important thing is the prices on the docket.
    They don't match the W-D-W coupon.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ohbygod

Ladbrokes are right i check up the prices of the football in the bookies i work in spurs 3/1 sheff utd7/1 swansea 7/1 cardiff 7/2 spurs lost so that leaves you with 3 teams that works out at €222 give or take. Ladbrokes prices r different. The prices u took r def from win and both teams 2 score coupon

Thanks for the replies doesn't look like I have a case, it's funny that I have to go to Boards.ie to find an answer and that despite contacting Ladbrokes 3 times through their Customer Service Centre and calling into the shop twice and been promised phone calls from their area manager I had to find out from here the reason for the disparity, but that's Ladbrokes for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ohbygod

patmac wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies doesn't look like I have a case, it's funny that I have to go to Boards.ie to find an answer and that despite contacting Ladbrokes 3 times through their Customer Service Centre and calling into the shop twice and been promised phone calls from their area manager I had to find out from here the reason for the disparity, but that's Ladbrokes for you!

Id prefer independent bookies at least the problem in resolved there and then instead of waiting on the phone for hours

• Registered Users Posts: 10,612 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

My tuppence worth here.
    Based on what was written on the slip, the bookie should be settling them on the W/D/W market.
    The prices should have no bearing on the bets, it's the selections as the
    prices change all the time.
    The OP should have written what markets he wanted in the 1st place & the shop assistant should have asked what markets the bets were on.
    AFAIK if there is no market indicated, the W/D/W is what it is settled on.
    If the OP writes the bet as is, he could then claim 2 were HT/FT or match result and 2 were something else like both to score or win both halves or win to nil etc etc.
    There are some many coupons printed now in the shops, you can't keep up.
    If I was Lads (and thankfully I'm not), I would be paying as W/D/W.
    In fairness to Lads (and I'm not a fan!), I'm not surprised they were throwing out different prices, they were probably trying to guess the market involved.
    I would press them to see what they will give you and if you're not happy with that, try John Martin (Punters Platform) in the Star.
    I have his number if you want it.
    You'd be no worse off.
    I would say. of the 3 bookies you probably had it with the worst of the lot of them in terms of resolving problems.
    You will get passed around to various people in the UK trying to get an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

As a matter of interest, why do people use the coupons to reference prices instead of just actually using the coupon?

• Advertisement

I assume not all bookies guarantee coupon prices?

Nunu wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, why do people use the coupons to reference prices instead of just actually using the coupon?

It was habit with me from back in the day when you got handed back the undercopy of your betting slip as the receipt. Hated getting back an 18 inch coupon so always filled the bet out on a regular wallet-sized docket.

okidoki987 wrote: »
    My tuppence worth here.
    Based on what was written on the slip, the bookie should be settling them on the W/D/W market.
    The prices should have no bearing on the bets, it's the selections as the
    prices change all the time.
    The OP should have written what markets he wanted in the 1st place & the shop assistant should have asked what markets the bets were on.
    AFAIK if there is no market indicated, the W/D/W is what it is settled on.
    If the OP writes the bet as is, he could then claim 2 were HT/FT or match result and 2 were something else like both to score or win both halves or win to nil etc etc.
    There are some many coupons printed now in the shops, you can't keep up.
    If I was Lads (and thankfully I'm not), I would be paying as W/D/W.
    In fairness to Lads (and I'm not a fan!), I'm not surprised they were throwing out different prices, they were probably trying to guess the market involved.
    I would press them to see what they will give you and if you're not happy with that, try John Martin (Punters Platform) in the Star.
    I have his number if you want it.
    You'd be no worse off.
    I would say. of the 3 bookies you probably had it with the worst of the lot of them in terms of resolving problems.
    You will get passed around to various people in the UK trying to get an answer.[/QUOTE

Thanks I might send him an email saying I took the odds of the both teams to score coupon and see how I get on is his email address jfin82004@gmail.com

Yeah that's the one.

Advertisement