Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boggers Log

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Program called for 90-105 mins ER

Was still pretty windy out there tonight and some of the street lights in the area I was running were out making for slow progress in sections.

Thought the first long run (on Saturday) in a couple of weeks would have left the legs feeling heavy but I was comfortable the whole way around.

Did a couple of seconds shy of 105 mins and a total of 12.69 miles.

Feel my strength slowly coming back but electric pace (like the electricity near where I live) is stubbornly refusing to turn on :)

The program has only one speed session this week, a couple of 2k reps that I am already dreading.

TbL

Program called for 60-70 min ER.

Did this on a hilly route.

Found it a lot harder than yesterday evening.

Wobbled along for 67m41s did 8.5 miles at average pace 7.59

Dreading the 2k reps tomorrow

TbL

Program called for 15-30 mins warm up & cool down, with 4/5 2k reps with 2.5 mins recovery followed by 3 x 200m reps with 200m recovery.

The session was labeled as a tempo session with a pace of between 8.00 - 8.15 for each rep.

Could I ask some of the more experienced on here whether they think this is too soft a pace range for this type of session.

After last weeks 6x1k's I had hoped to go sub 8 on a couple of the reps, but I was to be disappointed.

Did 24 mins warm up followed by 4 reps. Splits; 8.05; 8.03; 8.00 & 8.08. Took 400m recovery between each rep.

Did the 3 x 200m reps. 38s; 38s; & 37s

Finished off with 14 mins cd.

Must admit to being very disappointed with the session, especially the last rep but equally that I didn't go sub 8. I seem to recover very fast between reps and it's getting frustrating.

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Nothing wrong with that session. Paces are right its a cruise interval type session so the idea is to get your body running at tempo paces off short recoveries so that you can simulate 8k of tempo work without compromising recovery that you would need to take if doing the full thing straight.

Did a similar enough session myself last week. These should be comfortably hard rather than all out. Looks like good progression from last week and has me thinking you probably were pushing a little too hard last week

ecoli wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with that session. Paces are right its a cruise interval type session so the idea is to get your body running at tempo paces off short recoveries so that you can simulate 8k of tempo work without compromising recovery that you would need to take if doing the full thing straight.

Did a similar enough session myself last week. These should be comfortably hard rather than all out. Looks like good progression from last week and has me thinking you probably were pushing a little too hard last week

Thanks Ecoli,

Appreciate you reading & responding.

The head was down big time after that session, especially that I was thinking the target pace was soft.

Almost walked away from the 200's but glad now that I finished them.

TbL

• Advertisement

Thanks Ecoli,

Appreciate you reading & responding.

The head was down big time after that session, especially that I was thinking the target pace was soft.

Almost walked away from the 200's but glad now that I finished them.

TbL

Going back over your log there does seem to be an over ambitious mind set going into your sessions. As was said before you don't have to bang every session out of the park, and this is one of them sessions which should be controlled. To put this into perspective cruise intervals are usually in or around half marathon pace, this means that running them true to pace you were running 1.24 HM pace which would have you well on target for Seville.

We often overlook the consistency of hitting sessions week in and week out because we feel we have to be on hands an knee's after each session to get benefit but to be honest the majority of sessions you should come away from feeling you could hit another rep if you really needed to.

Lads,

I heading up to the big smoke for a few days.

I'm hoping to do a long run in the PP on Saturday, I've done a few miles there before but can anyone let me know if it's possible to do 20 miles there without having to do numerous out and backs and circling like a plane over Heathrow :)

Tnx in advance.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Definitely. You can do an inner loop (around 6 miles), then follow the trails (another 6+ miles), then follow the trails (6 miles more), ten throw in another few miles around some landmarks. It's perfect for a 20 mile run, and you'll never get bored!

Excellent Krusty, thanks.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Definitely. You can do an inner loop (around 6 miles), then follow the trails (another 6+ miles), then follow the trails (6 miles more), ten throw in another few miles around some landmarks. It's perfect for a 20 mile run, and you'll never get bored!

You can also easily take a wander over to the Royal Canal and add in 7/8 miles that way or alternatively head down through Chapelizod village and get a loop of the War Memorial Gardens too. As KC says though you'd easily fit 20 miles into the Park without going too loopy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

you could follow the half marathon route, then do one extra lap of the outer path which is circa 6 miles

http://dublinmarathon.ie/race-series/dublin-half-marathon/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Duanington

Sorry for the hijack but how much of the park is lit up at night? Is it just Chesterfield avenue really? ( not that it will make a difference to thebitterlemon's Saturday run if its during the day, I'm thinking more selfishly here - I'm toying with the idea of running in the park on the way home from work)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Duanington wrote: »
    Sorry for the hijack but how much of the park is lit up at night? Is it just Chesterfield avenue really? ( not that it will make a difference to thebitterlemon's Saturday run if its during the day, I'm thinking more selfishly here - I'm toying with the idea of running in the park on the way home from work)

Mainly just Chesterfield - the North road has a couple of lights on it but I tend to avoid it as the road/path is not great quality and could be dangerous, but you can go just outside and do the conyngham road or go the otherside up the the PP race course, entering the park on the opposite side.

Lads,

I heading up to the big smoke for a few days.

I'm hoping to do a long run in the PP on Saturday, I've done a few miles there before but can anyone let me know if it's possible to do 20 miles there without having to do numerous out and backs and circling like a plane over Heathrow :)

Tnx in advance.

TbL

I'm doing 20 early on Sat morning if your interested in doing all or some of the run with company??

I'm doing 20 early on Sat morning if your interested in doing all or some of the run with company??

What time?

In work at 10 so could probably tag along for 10 or so if you guys are going very early (like an 8am start)

I'm normally a 9am guy, but if I get no better offers :) I'll meet you for 8am.

I'll meet anyone, anywhere (except the bushes) and drag the standard down :)

Time and place and directions, note the title of my log as in Bogger, I might get lost in the big smoke!

TbL

Ecoli, being honest , 8am is too early for me as I also have an early start on Sunday morning.
    9:30am is a decent time on a Saturday morning!

TBL I'll leave it to you, I'll be at the papal cross at 9:30 or you can have Ecoli at 8 :)

Ecoli, as much as I would like to run with you for the experience, I'd be afraid that the session would end up being like a sponsored walk for you so I'm gonna do the ProAm with AMK. (Or at least start it with him)

AMK is that cross easy to find or will I just look out for the lad doing 100m strides in 12s past some monument?

Can you park near it?

Tnx,

TbL

Ecoli, as much as I would like to run with you for the experience, I'd be afraid that the session would end up being like a sponsored walk for you so I'm gonna do the ProAm with AMK. (Or at least start it with him)

AMK is that cross easy to find or will I just look out for the lad doing 100m strides in 12s past some monument?

Can you park near it?

Tnx,

TbL

My God - you are a bogger.

Drive up (or down) Chesterfield Avenue - that's the big road in the middle of the PP :).

Half way on the road is a big roundabout - its near the Aras.
    The Papal Cross is a huge big white cross - just look up! (turn left if the Aras is on your right).

There's a big car park there. I'll PM you my phone number in case of difficulties.

Thursday: took a rest day

Friday: working long hours in the big smoke and the lack of a tour guide meant I missed the session. The program called for 40-50 mins ER.

Saturday: gotta say I really, really enjoyed the run today.

Program called for 20-22 miles.

With the help of Google maps managed to find the Aras and the papal cross:)

Decided to take no fluids or gels again.

Met the young lad AMK and headed off at a reasonable enough pace. The miles flew by and was really enjoying it and got a free tour of the PP.

Either AMK is very well know and popular or he's waving at a lot of strangers :)

Got to the 16 mile mark feeling reasonably comfortable and then the young greyhound took off with the auld fat duck waddling behind.

The injection of pace felt uncomfortable at first but I was surprised to find that I was able to hold a decent clip. Decided it wouldn't be polite to pass my gracious host so I put the brakes on a bit :)

Came in a bit behind the young lad.

Did 19.75 miles in total, splits for the 3.75 odd miles

In all seriousness thanks AMK probably one of the most enjoyable LR's I've had in ages.

Saturday PM: after a couple hours driving directly after the LR the legs were very heavy so I decided to do a very very slow recovery run

Did 4 slow miles.

TbL

• Advertisement

Nice meeting you today, enjoyed it too.

Can't believe you did another run today!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Saturday PM: after a couple hours driving directly after the LR the legs were very heavy so I decided to do a very very slow recovery run

Did 4 slow miles.

TbL

TBL- not super smart imo. I'd be really careful doing stuff like that. The most important part of the marathon is getting to the start line healthy. Nice LSR though - managed to heckle you two today…

drquirky wrote: »
    TBL- not super smart imo. I'd be really careful doing stuff like that. The most important part of the marathon is getting to the start line healthy. Nice LSR though - managed to heckle you two today…

Tnx.

I hear what you are saying but I felt that the legs needed a bit of a shake out after 3 hours in the car. I did the miles real slow 9.00-9.15 and the legs feel better.

AMK mentioned that was you, and that you know your stuff, so maybe I give up the habit of a lifetime, being a stubborn bollocks, and listen to some advice.

That's part of the reason why I set up the log, the run also wasn't part of the program.

TbL

Program called for 50-60 mins easy run.

Did 5 slow miles this evening.

Total weekly mileage 60.6

TbL

Today was meant to be a rest day, but as I won't be able to run on Saturday so I switched some of the weeks sessions around.

Program called for 70-80 mins ER.

Did 10 miles @ 7.57 pace, nice and comfortable.

Nice evening for it but the windscreen on the car had some ice on it when I got back.

Tomorrows session calls for some sort of pyramid thingy, 1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1 min reps. Never did a session like this before, the e mail I got says to do them hard but doesn't mention a pace. Sent a mail querieng the pace but in case I don't get a response before I head out in the morning, could anyone on here give me some guidance please.

Althought if it freezes tonight, we could have a hippo on roller skates scenario :)

Tnx,

TbL

it'll be 25 mins of hard running - if it says run them "hard" then it must be 5k pace. Do you know what the recovery time is??

They are short enough to merit 5k pace - the only doubt in my mind is a few things I've read about only doing 10k and above for Marathon training.
    I'm sure some of the more experienced lads/lassies may know.

If no one gets back to you, do them at whats called CV pace - in between 5k & 10k pace.

Thanks AMK,

Just checked, it says to take 2 mins between every rep!

Also says to do it on a hilly/rolling course.

Tnx again.

TbL

2 min recoveries - must be 3k/5k pace so.

Do you program it into your watch??

Tnx

Don't know how to, I just usually hit the lap function button and review at the end of the session.

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Unless you take 30 mins for 5k I'd imagine 25 minutes @ 5k pace to be a bit much. Certainly it should not be at 3k pace. Assuming the recoveries are Jog recoveries I'd presume the pace to do this session would be 8-10k pace?

Advertisement