Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Want a new rifle - recommendations please

• 07-01-2014 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

Guys, I'm two years in the sport now and want to invest in a "top of the line" aeg. My first aeg was a G&G Toptech M4 that has never let me down, and which still fires at 320fps. I will be selling my Raider,and Marui P90 to fund my new purchase. The gun I want should be a M4 variant along the lines of the Raider but of far higher quality. While I like the look of the Raider., the loose stock, wobbly barrel and nylon receiver annoy me. So can you recommend a rock solid "Raider" type rifle that won't let me down.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

it's all fine and well saying "I want top of the line", but the most salient first question is: what's your general budget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Once I sell the Raider, P90 and a few pistols, I reckon up to and around the €400 mark. Of course, if there's a perfectly good aeg for less than that, all the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

The G&P AR15 range is very nice, might be worth looking into.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

While it's not an M4 I want to suggest a G&G M14 EBR. I got one myself 3 days ago and I'm absolutely in love with it. The quality of the materials, the feel, the range and the accuracy of it is amazing. I picked it up for 460 up in AirsoftEire, drove all the way up from Cork for it! Don't think I could ever part with it now.

Thanks mate but I already have a Marui M14. I want the "Raider" look, size and dependability but more "quality" if you know what I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Kashkai wrote: »
    Thanks mate but I already have a Marui M14. I want the "Raider" look, size and dependability but more "quality" if you know what I mean.

Why not go for G&G's Metal Raider versions so?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭backthephilup

Thanks mate. I've been looking at the HK416 models today and they do appeal. Hobby are selling a gen3 416 with factory fitted tbb and MOSFET for around the €350 mark.

Are VFC a good brand in terms of reliability and build quality? I've never owned one of their guns before and I'm not familiar with them.

I own a VFC Scar-L and I'm very pleased with it. Externally, VFC are lovely, lovely guns. Internally they're not bad and I have few complaints personally although others can advise better. I'm also quite partial to G&P guns.

The next bit I say is going to be controversial in some people's eyes ...

Classic Army.

I own a CA m15A4 tactical carbine variant (so m4 front end, but fixed stock back-end with battery compartment). Granted I own a pre-sportsline era beast but I will say this - of all my guns, it's the one that has been loaned out, used, abused, covered in crap, and never once ever failed to perform. And you'll get change out of you €400 if you decide to get one; but do make sure it's not a sportsline model you buy. Granted, for your budget I would probably look at something higher up the food chain than a Classic Army offering, but just putting it out there considering some G&P guns can be had for the same general price bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Luk2502

Hey there,
    First of all I don't want to be a d*ck for hijacking the thread, but opening a new thread on the same topic seems pointless.

I'm also looking for a decent weapon. I've only started playing a couple months ago and my current JG Aug A2 is .. well let's just say it doesn't live up to the standards anymore (shoots at 250fps, tends to get stuck firing, had it fixed at the cost of sacrificing semi-auto)...

I'm willing to go up to ~400 euro for a new gun. Looking at something like an M4 or similar AEG.
    From this thread I managed to find this http://www.hobbyairsoft.ie/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=t4-18&category_id=0&product_id=652 which I think is very appealing, although I cannot find any mags for it which got me a little worried.

Now that you guys know what "looks" I want, here's a little more details
    - As realistic replica as it can get within that budget (if necessary I 'can' go higher than 400, but would prefer not to)
    - Reliability, consistency, no fps-loss over time
    - Good 'out-of-the-box' with little to no upgrades needed to start with, but still having the possibility to improve if I choose to later on (I'm still a complete noob and know nothing of the interior parts, would rather not fiddle around internally just yet). Which brings me to my last point
    - Popular AEG. With as much information as possible regarding upgrades/maintenance. Spare parts, compatibility etc etc

The new AEG will be mainly used at Sim-Tac Airsoft, so don't want it too long to keep it viable in CQB for those buildings
    I very much prefer buying from a walk-in shop. Would like to 'feel' the AEG before I buy it (I live in Meath, but can travel if necessary)

Again, sorry for hijacking :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭J-W

If you can wait a few months G&G will be replacing there TopTech range with a new versions with a very interesting Modular gearbox M.A.R.S

They are to be priced the same as current Top Techs. So current Ver3 top Techs price will go down ( great guns I have a TR418) and you can get one cheaper or get the MARS version.

Quick change Spring , Quick change motor , built in Mosfet and micro chip trigger switch, gun stops firing when mag empty.

J-W wrote: »
    If you can wait a few months G&G will be replacing there TopTech range with a new versions with a very interesting Modular gearbox M.A.R.S

They are to be priced the same as current Top Techs. So current Ver3 top Techs price will go down ( great guns I have a TR418) and you can get one cheaper or get the MARS version.

Quick change Spring , Quick change motor , built in Mosfet and micro chip trigger switch, weapon stops firing when mag empty.

I don't really want to wait few months. Looking to get back in action by the end of Feb/early March and get some good gaming done throught the year.

The TR418 you mentioned, is that the one I had linked from Hobby? I've tried googling TR418 and it appears to be the same one. I really like it :)

Do you mind telling me what's the story with mags for that AEG?
    This is probably very obvious, but when I google G&G 450 hi cap all I got was "For G&G M4/M16 series". Are the mags identical for the M4/M16 and T4-18(HK416)?
    If so, then if I was to get a mid-cap mag, all I need to worry about is that it fits an M16?

Hi Luk,

Ya that's the one , although mine looks quite different now.

When I started out I was always messing with gears / springs and internals on my other guns. I got the 418 and said right leave the gearbox alone ,I have and this guns works perfectly everything I take it out ,which is usually once every 2 weeks. Its great straight outa the box.
    As for Mags I find "Mag" brand plastic midcaps the best. It'll take just about any standard M4/16 mag ,P-mags can be sticky.

Hi Luk,

Ya that's the one , although mine looks quite different now.

When I started out I was always messing with gears / springs and internals on my other guns. I got the 418 and said right leave the gearbox alone ,I have and this guns works perfectly everything I take it out ,which is usually once every 2 weeks. Its great straight outa the box.
    As for Mags I find "Mag" brand plastic midcaps the best. It'll take just about any standard M4/16 mag ,P-mags can be sticky.

This then: http://www.airsoftguns.ie/aeg-magazines/1142-mag-130rd-plastic-magazine-m4-m16-aeg-5pcs.html ? Any reason I shouldn't go for full metal ones? I mean, other than extra weight, I'm a skinny fella :)

Thanks for claryfing that out for me. Really helpful.
    As I mentioned earlier I do want a good out of the box gun and the TR418 seems ideal.
    First paycheck after purchase will go towards optics (looking at EOTech replicas) and a laser + grip. Oh and loads, loads of ammo :D

If ya drop or ding metal mags sometimes they have feeding/loading probs after , the plastic ones just bounce back.

If ya drop or ding metal mags sometimes they have feeding/loading probs after , the plastic ones just bounce back.

Makes sense :) Thanks

Luk2502 wrote: »
    I'm also looking for a decent weapon. I've only started playing a couple months ago and my current JG Aug A2 is .. well let's just say it doesn't live up to the standards anymore (shoots at 250fps, tends to get stuck firing, had it fixed at the cost of sacrificing semi-auto)...

I'd maybe consider getting your AUG looked at by a second mechanic because having to sacrifice semi-auto seems extreme to say the least. Without knowing the full details, that to me says either the gearbox was falling apart or the mechanic did not know/understand how AUG trigger selectors are wired up, given that they use a two-stage pull to select fire.

For the cost of a repair, a tightbore barrel and a new hop/rubber it would most likely work out much, much cheaper than buying a new AEG. But if you are wanting a new gun anyway, well then it's a moot point.
    I'm willing to go up to ~400 euro for a new gun. Looking at something like an M4 or similar AEG.
    From this thread I managed to find this http://www.hobbyairsoft.ie/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=t4-18&category_id=0&product_id=652 which I think is very appealing, although I cannot find any mags for it which got me a little worried.

Now that you guys know what "looks" I want, here's a little more details
    - As realistic replica as it can get within that budget (if necessary I 'can' go higher than 400, but would prefer not to)
    - Reliability, consistency, no fps-loss over time
    - Good 'out-of-the-box' with little to no upgrades needed to start with, but still having the possibility to improve if I choose to later on (I'm still a complete noob and know nothing of the interior parts, would rather not fiddle around internally just yet). Which brings me to my last point
    - Popular AEG. With as much information as possible regarding upgrades/maintenance. Spare parts, compatibility etc etc

The new AEG will be mainly used at Sim-Tac Airsoft, so don't want it too long to keep it viable in CQB for those buildings
    I very much prefer buying from a walk-in shop. Would like to 'feel' the AEG before I buy it (I live in Meath, but can travel if necessary)

The HK 416 takes standard (STANAG) m4/m16 magazines, so you should be fine with the MAG offering you've linked to. They're good magazines and I've rarely had issues with them myself over several years of use.

For the budget you have available, €400 gets you a wide offering to choose from and some pretty decent and competent airsoft guns included, with good out of the box performance. From your requirement for lots of after-market options, the biggest candidate is an Armalite variant; so m4/m16/scar/hk416/any other type I can't remember. Reliability and consistency you can get too for that budget, although there's always the risk of getting a lemon - but that's life in general.

The one thing you wont get - and you really need to accept this now - is no loss in FPS. Two things to bear in mind;
    • Every airsoft gun ever made suffers from this over time & use; just get them tuned up again.
    • More FPS does not equal more range. A tight-bore barrel & hob rubber will take care of that for you.

If you're concerned about length of your AEG in a CQB environment, then you are picking from carbine variants; or expanding your list to include bull-pup rifles and SMGs. To be perfectly honest (and having done an awful lot of CQB), your play-style will determine the length of rifle best suited to you far more than the environment will so it's not as limiting a factor as you might think.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭ShRT

Lemming wrote: »
    I'd maybe consider getting your AUG looked at by a second mechanic because having to sacrifice semi-auto seems extreme to say the least. Without knowing the full details, that to me says either the gearbox was falling apart or the mechanic did not know/understand how AUG trigger selectors are wired up, given that they use a two-stage pull to select fire.

Also, (although a bit late now from the sounds of things) you can try using a little silicone oil on the trigger pull mechanism. There is a little "nubbin" for want of a better word on each side of the trigger This should get caught in the transition from semi to full and when you pull, it should slide over once a level of pressure is reached. However, it does seize up over time and it then suddenly leaps into full and you need to use a lot more trigger pressure.

If you look in the pic below, they are located approx by the dark patch near the screws on the right are. (Its not a pic of a jg aug so not exact.) Put a few drops of silicone oil on either side and it will loosen up nicely and no major dis-assembly required! Had to do this to one recently enough so if its the same thing its an easy fix

IMG_0268.jpg

Advertisement