Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning issues - post them here MOD WARNING post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Musthavanegg

badger81 wrote: »
    hi all,

having being granted planning permission in offaly in may we were delighted,
    since then we had toyed with the idea of buying a house locally as the prices were fairly keen and we couldn't build for what it would cost us to buy, however having looked around there was nothing that suited us. so we have decided to build the house that we got planning for in may but the only problem is that one of the conditions on the grant is that we use solid timber construction windows:mad:
    The proposed house will be on a rural cul-de-sac with 6 other houses none of which have timber windows, the house is also quite elevated and will catch a lot of wind/weather considering its position. the price of timber windows even if i wanted them is prohibitive and the upkeep is something i wouldn't look forward to!! how hard is it to get this condition changed/reviewed/altered?

thanks in advance.

Ha Ha ! If I were a betting man I'd gamble this planning is in TS !

• Registered Users Posts: 39 badger81

Ha Ha ! If I were a betting man I'd gamble this planning is in TS !

Awful Offaly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Is there anywhere that defines 'minor amendments' for already granted planning these days? ie without having to revisit the Local Dept...

• Subscribers Posts: 41,216 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Is there anywhere that defines 'minor amendments' for already granted planning these days? ie without having to revisit the Local Dept...

donegal

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

mark up a drawing, send to the local planner and ask their opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

What are the ramifications from a planning point of view of converting a shed into a granny flat for an elderly family member. Shed already has power and toilet facilities which are tied into the main house & an independent heating system. All would be added is a front door and window instead of roller door opening and a small kitchen.
    Would this need planning & if so how amenable would the planners be to the request. Anyone done similar before.

garage to granny flat
    hexosan wrote: »
    Would this need planning
    yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

BryanF wrote: »
    garage to granny flat
    yes

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Hi, can anyone tell me what distance a detached dwelling built on its own half acre site must be from a boundary wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

Other than distances set out in your local development plan for set back from a roadside boundary there is normally no set distance. Minimum distances of 1m plus at least would be good practice to allow access at the side of your dwelling, and, many local authorities set a condition of a 2 metre deep belt of screen planting to new side boundaries which would obviously have an impact on the location of your dwelling. Is there a specific reason why you ask ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭rayjdav

Supertech wrote: »
    Other than distances set out in your local development plan for set back from a roadside boundary there is normally no set distance. Minimum distances of 1m plus at least would be good practice to allow access at the side of your dwelling, and, many local authorities set a condition of a 2 metre deep belt of screen planting to new side boundaries which would obviously have an impact on the location of your dwelling. Is there a specific reason why you ask ?

+^ but to also add that if the house is rural and has septic tank/treatment unit, the relevant separation distances also apply, even it the system is situate in the adjoining property. This could lead to the house being set back even further from the boundary to allow for same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

looking to get a 16m by 16m block shed done , insulated etc with electric, all ready have a concrete shed done without insulation or anything and i am looking to extend that and add on the 16m by 16m which will be my living space

im just looking for some sort of idea as to where i can go to find out what sort of planning permission is needed and what sort of price it might cost etc

A V A wrote: »
    looking to get a 16m by 16m block shed done , insulated etc with electric, all ready have a concrete shed done without insulation or anything and i am looking to extend that and add on the 16m by 16m which will be my living space

im just looking for some sort of idea as to where i can go to find out what sort of planning permission is needed and what sort of price it might cost etc

So you want to extend a shed?
    But the extension will be a 256msq living space?
    That's a 5+ bed house!
    Hire a local architect
    Assuming current building regs & Very rough cost 300-400k

So you want to extend a shed?
    But the extension will be a 256msq living space?
    That's a 5+ bed house!
    Hire a local architect
    Assuming current building regs & Very rough cost 300-400k

i think im after getting it totally wrong with the measurements, all i want to do is extend a shed and add a living space, i have it marked out see the picture below

See the photos attached below, I just want to build onto that shed, you can roughly see where I've marked it out in regards to size, the shed that is there would need to be 're roofed along with the extension aswell as insulated ,

Extending your shed to provide living space is basically the provision of a dwelling. You need to get a professional on board. There are a raft of issues with the type of application you are proposing.

Extending your shed to provide living space is basically the provision of a dwelling. You need to get a professional on board. There are a raft of issues with the type of application you are proposing.

So is there much involved stall?? And what price are we looking at and how long would the planning permission.cost and how long would that take to clear

So is there much involved stall?? And what price are we looking at and how long would the planning permission.cost and how long would that take to clear

It's impossible to say from the information you've given. You need someone who has experience of these types of applications who will do a site visit and carry out a feasibility study and discuss your requirements.

If it is worth lodging a planning application, that process will take at least three months to complete.

I'm open to correction, but I don't believe you'll be given permission to simply convert a shed and live in it. There are certain residential standards set out in development plans which will need to be met, and bear in mind that the use of the building will be defined by the application you lodge.

If you just want to renovate the shed and put a hobby space or a games room or similar in it, that's a different question, and a much simpler application.

It's impossible to say from the information you've given. You need someone who has experience of these types of applications who will do a site visit and carry out a feasibility study and discuss your requirements.

If it is worth lodging a planning application, that process will take at least three months to complete.

I'm open to correction, but I don't believe you'll be given permission to simply convert a shed and live in it. There are certain residential standards set out in development plans which will need to be met, and bear in mind that the use of the building will be defined by the application you lodge.

If you just want to renovate the shed and put a hobby space or a games room or similar in it, that's a different question-, and a much simpler application.

Just a hobbies area with a toilet it will be my music studio
    Will I start a prosper thread in this forum Whitehall the details measurements etc that I would like done

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just a hobbies area with a toilet it will be my music studio.

If the 'shed' is for use ancillary to the main house (which would allow for a games/hobby room) and the total area of the 'shed' when complete (i.e. new and existing) is no more than 25 m.sq., I would suggest that it is exempt/no need to apply for planning permission (subject to other exempt development criteria being met).

• Advertisement

DOCARCH wrote: »
    If the 'shed' is for use ancillary to the main house (which would allow for a games/hobby room) and the total area of the 'shed' when complete (i.e. new and existing) is no more than 25 m.sq., I would suggest that it is exempt/no need to apply for planning permission (subject to other exempt development criteria being met).

So that's about 15 x 15 foot, would I be able to add that onto the existing shed in the picture above

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

So that's about....

25 m.sq. = 269 ft.sq.

To avoid future grief/hassle I'd suggest maybe you engage somebody (architect, architectural technician, engineer) to draw up a simple plan of you garden with a simple plan of your existing shed, then, they can tell you by what dimensions you might be able to extend your existing shed (as an exempt development).

Just a hobbies area with a toilet it will be my music studio
    Will I start a prosper thread in this forum Whitehall the details measurements etc that I would like done

I'm not sure there's any need to start a new thread, you know you need to go arch to design and detail to allow you get then project through planning and construction. Your footprint of music room with wc in addition to the current shed, will more than likely Be in excess of the exempted 25m2

You've also changed your tune from suggesting this extension would be a living space in your first post ?!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

So that's about 15 x 15 foot, would I be able to add that onto the existing shed in the picture above

No. It's the total of all sheds combined.

I'm not sure there's any need to start a new thread, you know you need to go arch to design and detail to allow you get then project through planning and construction. Your footprint of music room with wc in addition to the current shed, will more than likely Be in excess of the exempted 25m2

You've also changed your tune from suggesting this extension would be a living space in your first post ?!

well i do spend most all my time with music so you could say i do live ther , im use to saying it lik that :P

i know whats involved in getting a planning permision to extent where actually adding an extention to a house to make it a bigger living environment etc , but didnt think there would be so much bother with just adding a basic insulated concrete shed to the end of the mothers garden?

and thanks i wont do another thread

iv taken into account what you said , so if im going to do it right i might aswell get it planned out etc rather than just saying ah sure put a few bricks here etc :P

also how would i go about finding an architect around my area and do they cost much ? its not going to be a major development like

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

also how would i go about finding an architect around my area and do they cost much ? its not going to be a major development like

Yellow pages or from word of mouth. It can depend on you general location. Bear in mind there are basic charges that cannot be avoided such as the application fee, lamination of site notice, newspaper notice , ordnance survey maps, printing, then the cost of the labour for preparing them.

Most people will do a bundle all in one cost for a basic extension like your suggesting though.

Post here in usual format
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056682402/12/#post88325597

kceire wrote: »
    Yellow pages or from word of mouth. It can depend on you general location. Bear in mind there are basic charges that cannot be avoided such as the application fee, lamination of site notice, newspaper notice , ordnance survey maps, printing, then the cost of the labour for preparing them.

Most people will do a bundle all in one cost for a basic extension like your suggesting though.

jesus Christ for all that , just to add on an extension on to the back of a garden and to a shed thats al ready there,on a propriety that is fully payed for :confused: with no mortgage or anything ,im baffled!!!

what did you mean by most people will do a bundle all in one cost, like look after everything like you explained above?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

You won't need to do all that though if your development is considered exempted development. Check with your local authority if you're unsure what constitutes exempted development.

Advertisement