Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Schumacher Suffers Serious Head Injury

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

****, I really hope he pulls through ok. I was always a big fan of his. I know sometimes dominance in sport can make it boring, but in his case I always found his immense talent very enjoyable and inspiring to watch. And while I watched F1 before he came to dominate it, I really grew into to sport while he was on top, and to me F1 will always be the sport that he ruled.

It really makes you think. I've had a few hard bumps to the head doing various sports, that have left me shaken and wobbly afterwards, and I've refused any suggestion of medical attention. How fine a line there must be between a knock that makes you suffer a bit but does no real damage, and one that can take everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

I first saw Schuey racing in Barcelona in 2002 and he quite simply destroyed everybody that day with a stunning pole to flag win. I saw him again last year in Hockenheim and he trundled home a distant seventh. Even so, the genuine appreciation showed by the crowd to him during the drivers parade was unanimous, genuine, and warm. Indeed, a German friend I was with commented that he conversation around us was that everyone had more time for Schuey than a certain other German on the grid.....:eek:

Events like this really put life in perspective: none of us really know what lurks around a corner, and for someone like Schuey to have emerged largely unscathed from two decades of Motorsport only to be injured like this is deeply shocking.

God's speed to you Michael and get well soon. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

just seen on Sky news that Michael underwent a second operation overnight and that the hospital may issue a statement on his condition at 10am this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Hopefully he will pull through this, the man is a legend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

According to Bild the 2nd operation was to relieve the buildup of pressure on his brain. Hoping for some positive news in the press conference later this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Press conference to come on skysports now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

BBC News, live as well.

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Press conference to come on skysports now

Only one operation! Thats surely good news!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

No real update I guess, still a waiting game.
    Must be a regular occurance on the ski slopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Lots of updates here following the press conference. Sounds like a severe impact, one operation overnight. Still critical.

Clarkson has weighed in too with a characteristically poorly judged joke
    The worrying thing about brain injuries is that you can recover only to find you're a midget with a marked Birmingham accent when drunk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

hope schumi gets better, always been a big fan of his, he was one of the reasons why i started following f1 in the late 90s,

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Itll be Wednesday/Thursday I'd say before we will know if he's going to pull through or not. It really is sad. I guess the one thing going for himis tthat his body would be used to huge amounts of pressure and his head more used being under strain. This will hopefully allow him to recover. I'd say if he was not an F1 driver he wouldve died by now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

He has the best of care that anyone on planet Earth could hope for so fingers crossed that it is enough.
    I been skiing once or twice and never wore a helmet. Thankfully Schumacher has more sense than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭tattoo86

Been watching f1 since i was 5 years old, he's my ultimate childhood hero, i used to get up early on the weekends when the races were in the far east just to watch him, really hope he pulls through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Not sure if this has been posted already but it gives some insights.

http://formerf1doc.wordpress.com/2013/12/30/the-monday-press-conference/

• Registered Users Posts: 30,036 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Sad to hear this, hope he gets through it

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭macpac26

Absolutely devastated by the news. Grew up like many others watching Schumacher race and was lucky enough to see him test in Barcelona in 2012 for Mercedes. If anyone can pull through this he can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭Killinator

Diarmuid wrote: »

Clarkson has weighed in too with a characteristically poorly judged joke

To be fair to him he has cleared that up by meaning he could recover to full health as Hammond did,
    He just insulted Hammond in the process as he always does, ie: Hammond was a midget with a Brumi accent before the accident and still is after it.

We all know Jezza is a massive Schumi fan.

Anyway, hoping a bad year for driver fatalities doesn't end with the biggest of all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

There will be no further update on the condition of Schumacher tonight, as confirmed by the Grenoble hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

There will be no further update on the condition of Schumacher tonight, as confirmed by the Grenoble hospital.

Hopefully no news is good news in that regard. I presume they intend to keep him in the induced coma for a few days and then gradually start to bring him round. Here's hoping all goes according to plan and he makes a full recovery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Hope he will be ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

jos28 wrote: »
    Hopefully no news is good news in that regard. I presume they intend to keep him in the induced coma for a few days and then gradually start to bring him round. Here's hoping all goes according to plan and he makes a full recovery

If he's on hour-by-hour observation and they have nothing they feel is necessary to report then we can only hope it means that he's stable.

Come on Michael!

andyman wrote: »
    If he's on hour-by-hour observation and they have nothing they feel is necessary to report then we can only hope it means that he's stable.

Come on Michael!

Or the family want to keep details a bit more private...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

I first saw F1 when the 2000 US GP was on the telly. At the time I was 4, I just hopped on to it by accident and have loved it ever since. Michael Schumacher won that race and I supported him from then on. Even though I think Senna was the most talented driver ever, Schumacher is my favourite. It hurts me to say this, but in a place at the back of my head, somewhere deep down, just past the oil boiler and left after the stopcock, I've been preparing for the worst. Now don't get me wrong, I want to see him pull through as much as anyone, but just incase, I want to kind of have lifewithoutmike.exe running in the background, so that it isn't as much of a shock if he doesn't get that 92nd win.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭doublejj

terrible news its like happening to own family my idol growing up with rossi and max biaggi...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Hopes he okay. Sending my best wishes to his famy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I really hope hes OK. Ive seen him race live on on a few occasions. The first was at Monza where he won and when myself and my wife spilled onto the track with the tifosi to acclaim the win. Great memories. The last time was at the Spanish Grand Prix when he crashed out right in front of me in 2012.

He is a unique talent from a good and bad point of view but a great driver and seemed liked a decent guy off the track. From what I have read the doctors need to get the swelling down to assess the situation . Hopefully things will turn out ok and he wont have any long term repercussions like brain damage.

http://www.bfmtv.com/video/bfmtv/sport/meribel-schumacher-transporte-helicoptere-apres-accident-30-12-167628/

Strange to think hes only one month older thank myself so I was watching his F1 career from start to (premature) finish

• Registered Users Posts: 45,267 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Was at the Australian grand prix in 2002 and seen him win it. Was a crazy start to the race, 8 cars went off at the first corner!

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭ItsChecoTime

Come on Michael keep on fighting, you can do it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement