Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campsite selection

Options
  • 20-12-2013 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭

what are your criteria for selecting a campsite. I'm a relative noob at camping but for me I try find a sheltered spot, preferably in a wooded area, on good dry ground and if possible near water.
    What makes you want to put your tent up

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

1. Remote or inaccessible area if possible.
    2. Relatively dry, flat ground.
    3. Sheltered from the wind, if possible.
    4. Preferably not in a hollow, where cold air accumulates.
    5. Far enough away from streams/rivers so that flooding will not be a problem if it rains heavily.
    6. Near firewood, if fires are permitted.
    7. Nice view.
    8. Possibly somewhere for fishing, hiking, rock climbing, caving, or whatever interests you, nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Not getting flooded is top priority 1; has happened twice, never again :0
    Depends on why I'm camping, often the route decicdes the location, so then you're optomising for some or all of
    fairly flat/
    water nearby
    something to block the wind/a view if the weather's good -- these are usually opposites; although it's always worth kneeling to test the
    wind at tent level, even low shelter can kill a lot of the wind

Other nice-to-haves are somewhere to sit, both for cooking and just relaxing-logs,rocks and banks are all good.
    Soft ground to lie on is another, The best night's sleep I ever had was in a forest near Lough Inagh, where I had about a foot of sphagnum moss to give us a memory-foam like bed -- obviously, you need a reliable waterproof groundsheet for this.

Carrying water is never the most craic, but sometimes camping on a summit is worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

another one avoiding midges, In the summer I tend to go as high as possible and stay above the tree line.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

If you can get a fire going, throw on some leaves. There should be plenty of smoke, which should drive away the midges.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭animum

I love wild camping with my son, last summer we filled up my car and headed west, (I am based in cork)...

My preference was by the sea, lovely to wake to the sound of the sea.

It was only the two of us, he is 8 and I am small :) so safety was my main concern.

I drove down roads that had the height barriers at the top of the road, no campervans can set up. But to me it indicated there was room to do so.

Funnily enough, it was mostly next to graveyards that we found, pitched tent in highgrass, hopping walls and fences...painful to carry all the stuff but felt safer for me..

Searched high and low for any evidence of beer cans etc, and stayed where there was none.

Someone advised me to bring a disposable bbq, bring sausages in a cooler box, and cold food after that.
    Saved me carrying pots and pans.

Hope to go camping in a woods soon, is it just as safe? Any recommendations for the cork area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

Why not try clear island. Ferry from Baltimore harbour. I camped on the camping ground on the west side of the island a few years back in august it was deserted but great weather, amenities and your right on the ocean with an amazing view to wake to as well as the sound. You also have the island to explore with your son maybe a spot of sea fishing if it's your thing. One could make quite the father son weekend on the island. I proposed to my girlfriend after nearly dieing trying to get of the island that time but that's another story. I'm bringing my wife there after we camp a few more times on the mainland. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭animum

SNAKEDOC wrote: »
    Why not try clear island. Ferry from Baltimore harbour. I camped on the camping ground on the west side of the island a few years back in august it was deserted but great weather, amenities and your right on the ocean with an amazing view to wake to as well as the sodund. You also have the island to explore with your son maybe a spot of sea fishing if it's your thing. One could make quite the father son weekend on the island. I proposed to my girlfriend after nearly dieing trying to get of the island that time but that's another story. I'm bringing my wife there after we camp a few more times on the mainland. Hope this helps.

Great suggestions, it's a mom and son weekend for us :)

Fishing not my thing, but we could cycle around the island...
    I'll look into it more. Thank you.

My pleasure. Glad I could inspire someone to visit one of the most beautiful islands of our coast. Most people just go to the Arran Islands but we have over 100 small islands of our coast waiting to be explored. Hope you enjoy the trip. Let me know what you think and check out trip adviser for the camp site you can rent teepee tents there they will be erected and all for you when you arrive as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Snakedoc, would you happen to know if you can get dogs to the islands at all? We bring our two when we go so anywhere has to be dog friendly.

I don't see why not. The island is just another part of the country just separated by water. I would approach the ferry with the dogs on shortened leashes and we'll under control. I used to know one of the guys who pilots the ferry and who also lives on the island their nice guys but if the dogs are a hazard jumping around and such then they could turn you away. They don't want to have a dog go overboard .I really can't give u a difinative answer just drawing from common sense really. It's a big ferry plenty of space and I believe cars are brought on a different boat too. Hope this helps. I'd imagine you can bring animals though. I'd be shocked if you can't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

to be honest i've never found the perfect wildcamp spot,often came across places i'de like to camp on my cycling route but on closer inspection there were to many signs of young dudes having a good time, beer cans everywhere the remains of fires spread all over the place.
    i live on the north east coast and to be honest just when you think, ah yes this will do, on closer look around your being watched from nearby houses thats dotted all over the place. this is what happened during the celtic tiger built houses bloody everywhere.:eek:

so am i being to cautious am i looking in all the wrong places.

to be honest i've never found the perfect wildcamp spot,often came across places i'de like to camp on my cycling route but on closer inspection there were to many signs of young dudes having a good time, beer cans everywhere the remains of fires spread all over the place.
    i live on the north east coast and to be honest just when you think, ah yes this will do, on closer look around your being watched from nearby houses thats dotted all over the place. this is what happened during the celtic tiger built houses bloody everywhere.:eek:

so am i being to causousor am i looking in all the wrong places.

Its hard to find a place within a short distance of a road capable of acommodating a car. If you want a true wild camp then you have to be willing to go further a field and walk a ways of the road where its only forestry and wilderness. I camped above the spinc in wicklow before and found a few nice sopts for a small camp hust my hammock and a tarp. There are lots of such places if you stay away from well worn tracks.

yeah understand but a bit hard to do on a bike,i guess all i need is to harden up some feck what people thing and just go do it.:)

yeah understand but a bit hard to do on a bike,i guess all i need is to harden up some feck what people thing and just go do it.:)

Yea with the bike its tricky. If i could offer any advice it would be to Voud any place a car can park. Then your fairly certain that no youngsters will be hanging around drinking and stay at least 100 metres of the road further if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

so am i being to cautious am i looking in all the wrong places.

I've never camped there myself but if you're in the northeast I know the mournes can be a good spot for camping

camped in tollymore pk couple years back man was it cold i taught i was going to meet my maker that night neary frooze to death.:D:eek:
    also stayed at rosstrever very flash campsite beautifull walks up the mournes loads of wild camping up there right enough i reckon the coolies would be a good spot also.

Advertisement