Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what to take for Christmas Visit

Options
  • 20-12-2013 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi.
    One of my Irish friend has invited me for Christmas day to visit over his/her house. As I am not familiar to Irish Culture, what is the best thing to bring with me as a gift to their house?

I think they have 1-2 kids and I am thinking of some toys would cheer young lads up..

what do you think?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would bring a bottle of wine (if they are drinkers) and either a family present of a board game or something small for the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

That's lovely :)

Something small for the kids or as mentioned before, a good board-game.

Wine/beer/choc for the adults.

I really hope you enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Aww have a lovely day, hope you really enjoy it!

Like others have said maybe a bottle of wine or a cheeseboard? They have good value ones in supervalu.

For the kiddies maybe a board game like connect 4 or maybe Jenga? Can't go wrong with a bug box of sweets or biscuits either :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Try avoid a tin of something. Every irish house has about 5 tins of rose, 4 tins of usa biscuits and about 7 tins of something jacobs, by new years.

You cant go wrong with a bottle of decent wine and maybe haribo for the children ( probably sick of chocolate from selection boxes)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

You could bring some wine, definitely...you don't have to spend too much wine.

Visit Tesco or Dunnes and see the special offers. You can get a nice bottle for about €10 if it's on offer.

I like the idea of bringing a board game for them because then they can all play, including you too!
    Visit Smyth's ToyStore or any good toystore near you and see what they have.

If you don't want to take wine or games, you could just a Yankee Candle which are half price right now in Homestore + More (who doesn't love a Yankee Candle) and they have special sets now with lots of candles in a box for half price..........and for the children you could buy a magic set or something?

Whatever you choose will be lovely and I hope you have a really nice Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Distinguish if it's a he/she first :P

And bring wine either way

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭newbie13

Thank you very much for all your helps, I am going to visit my local SuperValu for Gluten-Free Christmas options

Happy & Merry Xmas for all..cheers.

Advertisement