Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipping Services!

Options
  • 17-12-2013 2:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Today, I happened to be at home when our post was being delivered. I ran out with a bottle of wine and just said 'thanks'!
    It meant so much to the person (and to me)- It wasn't a grand gesture- possibly might have been overlooked in the era of the 'celtic tiger?'

Just my two cents worth......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amklo

My Mam used to always give cigarettes to our postman (who was a heavy smoker) back in the day. I'll take your idea and give our postlady a bottle of wine at the weekend or Monday!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I rarely see my postman, the post is delivered around my way in the early afternoon and I'd generally be at work.

We used to tip the coal man when I was a child; and the rubbish men always knocked in for their Christmas tip. Unfortunately bin charges put an end to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Our postman is lovely. He seems like such a nice man and he nearly loses his fingers regularly in our stupid letterbox. He cycles though so I don't think he'd appreciate a bottle of wine. :D Maybe as a treat I'll get rid of the letterbox of death this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭April O Neill II

My grandfather was a postman, in the days of cycling around the country boreens and before elf 'n safety and the proliferation of vehicles on the roads. He didn't drink much at all, except on Christmas Eve when nearly every house he called to would invite him in for a whisky.

My mother says he would wobble home every Christmas Eve on his bike, absolutely shítfaced. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

My mother always gives something to the Milk man back home. He's a neighbour and an absolute gent. For years, he's given his customers little Christmas boxes which include milk, yogurts, custard and chocolate milk!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

We used to tip our postman, usually a bottle or something, or chocolates/biscuits etc, but this year we have a different postman nearly every week and haven't seen our regular postman since the start of the year, don't think we'll give anything this year, as we don't know any of our postmen at all.

I've to go the beautician on Thursday so might give her a bottle of something and a box chocs maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

We give the rubbish collectors an envelope with about €20 in it, depending on how much spare cash we have. We give our paper boy a bottle of wine and some chocolates. That's it, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Ah, this is good for the soul!

Advertisement