Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motoring Life

Options
  • 16-12-2013 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

I've two May 1960 issues and want to swap one in exchange for one not in my collection, pm if interested.

I'm missing about 20 between 1960 and 1969

Regards
    Darren

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Blue850

SimcaAd.jpg

I'm trying to build a collection of Motoring Life too.
    Picked up 10 at Toughers Autojumble under a pile of UK mags in an old suitcase:D 8 were duplicates:rolleyes: PM'd DarenO

Anybody else collect this or any Irish automobilia

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭gfwd

I've picked up a few down the years, mostly at the Terenure show. Love reading them and, as an advertising man, I love all the old ads. I'd say I have around 15 but I'd love more. I'd be interested in any duplicates anyone has :)

Looking at the cover above, I used to live just around the corner from McCairns and practically beside Chryslers on Shanowen Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Blue850

The old ads are great

img019.jpg

exide1.jpg

WolseleyAd.jpg

nsu2.jpg

img003.jpg

img021.jpg

and from the height of the 70's OPEC fuel crisis:D

Scan0008.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭ben9195

Nice one! I drove many of the those models

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Silvera

I have a selection of old Irish motoring magazines which I've collected
    over the years. I'm generally interested in any Irish 'automobilia' items.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Silvera wrote: »
    I have a selection of old Irish motoring magazines which I've collected
    over the years. I'm generally interested in any Irish 'automobilia' items.

Ted Bonner was the editor, used to be on the Late Late a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Silvera

Indeed I recall Ted Bonner well from my youth...he was a regular in
    the motoring sections of national newspapers, magazines, etc
    ....and on the Late Late as you mentioned.

Which magazine did he edit? .....Motoring Life?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭DarenO

Thanks to Gerry for the offer and great to see I'm not the only one, I've been collecting for a while and lost track of what I have.

Back in the 60s Cecil Vard had a mag called Auto-Drive, I've only three issues, then there was Wheels from NI in the early 70s Alan 'Plum' Tyndall used to write for it.

I've a good few programmes for Phoenix Park, Mondello, Enniskerry, Rathdrum, 60s and 70s, I've the Century of Motoring programmes that took place in the 70s before the first motor shows along with every AA handbook bar the first one for England 1910 and Ireland 1930, the list goes on, must document it all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Just coming from Shaw St onto Pearse St today, saw the old 'Exide batteries' logo on 187 Pearse St
    https://maps.google.co.nz/maps?q=google+maps+shaw+st+dublin&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x48670e90232e48d5:0xfaa103b7f7005e6b,Shaw+St,+Dublin,+Ireland&gl=nz&ei=ldKwUuiJMaKq7Qb2vIGADw&ved=0CCoQ8gEwAA

Saw a olive green Saab 96 wagon with *** IZE reg. near SCR as well, will post photo soon

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭68deville

Blue850 wrote: »
    SimcaAd.jpg

I'm trying to build a collection of Motoring Life too.
    Picked up 10 at Toughers Autojumble under a pile of UK mags in an old suitcase:D 8 were duplicates:rolleyes: PM'd DarenO

Anybody else collect this or any Irish automobilia

A little bit off topic but a simca aronde just like that one advertised
    Was the first car to cross Wexford bridge when it was officially
    Opened in 1959,ZR Wexford registration,a photo of the event
    Is published in Nick Furlongs book 'Wexford in the rare old times'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Patrickglen

Just bought Jan/Feb 2014 edition of Motoring Life because it is a much needed Buyers Guide to all cars on sale in Ireland. I miss the late "AutoIreland" guide which I looked forward to each Jan

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭pummice

I have a few of these from the 1960's if anyone is interested

Advertisement