Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

volunteering on christmas

Options
  • 29-11-2013 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

hi all, im looking for somewhere that i can volunteer on christmas day or around the christmas period. i see many different websites promoting it but the problem is i'm 15 and i cant find any place that accepts under 18s. if anyone knows of anywhere in the Dublin\Kildare area i could volunteer, please let me know. thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 338 ✭✭Crazy Eye

julia8778 wrote: »
    hi all, im looking for somewhere that i can volunteer on christmas day or around the christmas period. i see many different websites promoting it but the problem is i'm 15 and i cant find any place that accepts under 18s. if anyone knows of anywhere in the Dublin\Kildare area i could volunteer, please let me know. thanks.

try the dspca or dogs trust they are only too hapy to get help from people who will help out with animals and abandoned pets .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭lillycool

Most charities are generally a bit iffy about taking on new volunteers specifically for Christmas Day.

Their perspective is it's a bit like getting a puppy for Christmas.. they are looking for volunteers or fundraisers year round, not just for Christmas.

To sign up to their volunteer database candidates generally need to go through a registration/Garda Clearance and be over 18. Then some of those existing volunteers will volunteer on Christmas Day if a service is needed.

Sorry I know this is not too helpful for you but others may know of something.
    What about helping out with something for a neighbour or family member instead? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭timmybob13

Hey I'm looking to do the same, only in Galway (as I cant drive and of course theres no transport on Xmas Day)

I'm 21, and Im already a long time volunteer (Age Action, Mental Health Reform, Positive Mental Health Galway, and other smaller roles)

Been Garda Vetted, latest cleared less than a month ago, all good, but of course I know I need to be vetted again for each new role.

References available

If anyone has any information on anything going on in Galway on Xmas Day, please let me know.

I've already checked Volunteer Ireland and theres nothing available for the 25th. (Be willing to work St.Stephens Day too)

Cheers x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Organisations are inundated with people wanting to give their time on Christmas Day which is why you won't usually see it specifically advertised. The bigger name charities in particular suffer from a glut of willing volunteers for Christmas Day - not that that is a bad thing, but it does mean that most people who would like to volunteer that day don't have the opportunity to.

It's less about garda vetting etc. and more about the numbers I'm afraid. Try local 'smaller' organisations and they might be able to facilitate you. Or perhaps consider volunteering at less popular times throughout the year as the charities need support 365.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

The Basket Brigade is a group of people who get together in the lead up to Christmas to put together food hampers for family who need a bit of extra support in the run up to Christmas....

Click below for more info:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/233999463309486/?fref=ts

Hamper Packing is taking place on Sunday Morning, 22nd of December.

• Advertisement
Advertisement