Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Ferry to France (Launch Offer)

• 13-12-2013 1:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭

www.ldlines.co.uk

just booked the family to france with a four berth outside cabin return for £251 (300 odd euro). Booked the first two weeks in August.

Seems like anytime of the summer is doable. Irish ferries and the other are normally nearly a grand.....

When are you travelling? 89 votes

June 27
    0%
    July 4
    22%
    alastairjohndoe77ieJ@yK@yciapenScouseMousepaddydriverBig Wex fanfliperirishrverGaw_Mountainsandhballybromcgarretttom traubertaquarius10Whats happeningmikehuntsjunegLima GolfDer69737 20 votes
    July 11
    11%
    ConarroyoftheroversMayoForSamaskUeokennedShatterProofArnieSilvianewsboymoodraterSeptember1 10 votes
    July 18
    12%
    unkelQwerty?Donal94dahamsterclevtrevdaithi1970blingrhinomillies23mrsoftJakey Rollingtaoifie 11 votes
    July 25
    13%
    alias no.9moonshippumbahfrashbinnoxkeanebg1U2FlyboymaryenA LawDainBramagealfa100JohnR1968 12 votes
    August 1
    10%
    Mr. FancypantsheathersonlineBenEadirJoviWally RunsredmissbdockleafMiamiMiceasdfrewq 9 votes
    August 8
    12%
    Johnny_Fontanebrendan86Michael_Myersjonosamdubal2008robertpattersonSamoa JoeKy AbuKandergalaitBobbyPropane 11 votes
    August 15
    10%
    BravadinJC43alexanderomahondaithi55davemckenna25nikinovamasti123ExpungeR0oster 9 votes
    August 22
    7%
    raher1richardw001Stab*Citylauradryeyedanwhite88legohouseSnegg 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

It looks like a bit of a tub though!!

scintu-b1db3c5c639c735640d29eaa019b2b14.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

July 4
    I just booked this for end June. 350 euro for 5 with car and cabin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Yeah cause it's all about aesthetics, isn't it?

What a great opening offer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

would 2 weeks not be an awful long time on a ferry, no matter how cheap it is :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,575 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

swansea cork ferries comes to mind, looks slow and boring but cheap

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Who's taking the horse to France?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

It looks like a bit of a tub though!!

scintu-b1db3c5c639c735640d29eaa019b2b14.jpg

Good thing that it's actually this ship so...

1349325.jpg
    TheDriver wrote: »
    swansea cork ferries comes to mind, looks slow and boring but cheap

She has a service speed of 24 knots. Very standard for modern ferries. Sometimes a longer distance takes more time than a shorter one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Car/caravan and 2adults. Dept mid June and return mid July with inside 4 berth cabin €379. V cheap. Usually in excess of I'm. Brittany looked for 1900 last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

Car/caravan and 2adults. Dept mid June and return mid July with inside 4 berth cabin €379. V cheap. Usually in excess of I'm. Brittany looked for 1900 last year.

Clicking on the link but can't find the Rosslare route

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭irishproduce

THe fares aren't that bad if you use tesco vouchers with irish ferries...

• Advertisement

THe fares aren't that bad if you use tesco vouchers with irish ferries...

3 years ago I did this, was looking for two weeks in June, my wife rang them and asked for the car, 4 berth 3 star cabin, 2 adults 2 kids, got quoted €830
    I rang ten minutes later, asked for the exact same and said I had the Tesco vouchers, was quoted €1100 and then with the vouchers it came to €850.
    I tired it on-line aswell, firstly with no vouchers and then with vouchers, the trip with the vouchers was always more expensive and when discounted ended up the same price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

July 4
    Now the question is will Brittany ferries reduce their extortionate rates to reflect the fact that they have 2 new routes to compete with this month??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

August 8
    yeah right. try anytime in july/august with IF and its a joke. also you cant get the cheapest fares with irish ferries, you have to use the 'tesco vouchers' link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Has anyone gone with these guys before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

July 4
    Dates seem a little inflexible.. would be either 10 days or 2.5 weeks? Anyone see how you can get just 2 weeks. Pricing seems great though!

Thanks OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Jesus this is ridiculously cheap. Going to a wedding in France in June. Might well have to book this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,103 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Good thing that it's actually this ship so...

1349325.jpg

thats the same boat in a different livery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

€309 20th June to 2nd July car and outside cabin

Great price. And I like the destination of the Ferry in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danmanw8

This is a class price, about time someone cam ein to shake up that market

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

Christ that's cheap. I'm coming in at 285 euro for 2 adults and two kids + cabin for the end of June returning middle of July. What gives here?

Irish ferries looking for 1150 for same dates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Jaysus.... €340 for a motorhome, 2 adults and outside cabin each way. Do they only come back on a Wednesday? Either way, it's super cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Good price alright but it looks as if it's a 22 hour crossing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

Good price alright but it looks as if it's a 22 hour crossing

We usually drive down the west coast anyway towards our campsite and the drive to Saint Nazaire would take 4 hours. Considering the crossing to Cherbourg is 16 hours this is well worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

What's St. Nazaire like? LD Lines
    21hours 15 minutes -> €249 return in March,

But, Irish Ferries do Dublin to Cherbourg -> Cherbourg to Dublin with car in 18 hours for €256 Return.

Cherbourg also has plenty of Shops/markets in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I think these are freight companies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Allyall wrote: »

But, Irish Ferries do Dublin to Cherbourg -> Cherbourg to Dublin with car in 18 hours for €256 Return.

There's a big shopping complex not too far away from the St Nazaire / Montoir terminal , probably 10/15 mins away - [ ZAC de la fontaine au brun ]
    St Nazaire city centre would be 20 mins away .
    The main street [ Avenue de la Republique ] has a lot of shops [ Centre Le Paquebot ]

I'm delighted to see this new service ! I grew up in that area and my parents live in Guerande which is 25mins away from the port ...

August 8

this is a great deal for the summer months of june - august when the other ferries are bloated in price. I went to cherbourg last w/end return with celtic ferries for €150 return, off season prices are decent with the other ferry companies.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

loyatemu wrote: »
    thats the same boat in a different livery.

Nope, they're two different ships

http://www.ferry-site.dk/ferry.php?id=9349760
    &
    http://www.ferry-site.dk/ferry.php?id=9435466

Not even sister-ships :)

Dates seem a little inflexible.. would be either 10 days or 2.5 weeks? Anyone see how you can get just 2 weeks. Pricing seems great though!

Thanks OP

They've one ship, going from Ireland to France and then on to Spain before retracing the same route back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,103 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Tabnabs wrote: »

well thats the picture LD have on their website for the Scintu - can't see the name clearly on the side. The 2 boats are practically identical, sister ships or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Rosslare to France sets off the Friday, back the Wednesday. Almost a full week. I wonder could you get one way with them on the Friday and come back with another company a few days earlier? (wine trip for wedding)
    Or are the one way trips more expensive?

Rosslare to France sets off the Friday, back the Wednesday. Almost a full week. I wonder could you get one way with them on the Friday and come back with another company a few days earlier? (wine trip for wedding)
    Or are the one way trips more expensive?

Irish Ferries is €150 Each way, but €256 return (For example) In March.

So maybe they're cheaper return, but there doesn't seem to be a massive amount in it.

There's 3 companies now (By my counting), maybe 4.
    Irish Ferries, LDLines, and Celtic Link. All new with the exception of Irish Ferries which now or soon also leaves from and returns to Dublin.

So, you'd probably get it cheap enough, or close enough to a return price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Whats the deal with the 4 berth cabin? Is that space for 4 people, so do I need to book 1 of these for 2 people, or 2?
    And will I be sharing with 2 other people?

Sorry not used to the ferries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,796 ✭✭✭ablelocks

as we've never been on a holiday to France, is this a good enough deal to book now and do the research / book the actual holiday after?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

Anyone else been playing spot the difference?
    I couldn't help myself. :D
    But I've only found one physical difference so far.

eEzjL3r.png

• Advertisement

Absoluvely wrote: »
    Anyone else been playing spot the difference?
    I couldn't help myself. :D
    But I've only found one physical difference so far.

You are Cráp at this game.
    I haven't even been trying an i found more.
    284469.jpg
    Ship is different colour
    Ship has different advert/writing
    water is different colour
    ship is at different angle
    background is different
    flag on ship is different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Someone has a lot of time on their hands :D

August 8
    So looking for tips of where to go to stay around there. normally, we book a house of some description, but could be open to some of the campsites. Prices coming back are steep though, like €1200 a week. Is that normal for the first week in August?

:o

Irish Ferries is €150 Each way, but €256 return (For example) In March.

So maybe they're cheaper return, but there doesn't seem to be a massive amount in it.

There's 3 companies now (By my counting), maybe 4.
    Irish Ferries, LDLines, and Celtic Link. All new with the exception of Irish Ferries which now or soon also leaves from and returns to Dublin.

So, you'd probably get it cheap enough, or close enough to a return price.

Your correct with 4, Brittany Ferries operate from Cork, April to November every Saturday afternoon (4pm), arrive in Roscoff early (7am) Sunday morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Big thanks to the OP. I've just booked a trip to France for my friend's wedding in June. Sailing Friday June 20th and returning Wednesday July 2nd. €250 for the trip including an inside cabin both ways. Irish Ferries looking for the more than €600 last time I checked.

Will be my first time going anywhere by boat and have never been to France so I'm looking forward to it.

We're arriving on Saturday June 21st and have to be in Aubeterre-sur-Dronne on Monday June 23rd so need to decide what to do for those two nights. Then we leave there on Thursday June 26th and have to be back in Saint Nazaire for the night of Wednesday July 2nd so have to figure out what we do for that week. Any suggestions welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

August 1
    ablelocks wrote: »
    as we've never been on a holiday to France, is this a good enough deal to book now and do the research / book the actual holiday after?

Yes, but it depends on when you want to go. In France high season is July and super high in August. Outside of those months there is plenty to book and it is very flexible. In the high season depending on what you want (house/tent/mobile home) most bookings will be sat to sat. Given the sailing is Fri -to Wed you may have trouble getting the extra days. It all depends on what you want.

Personally, I have a young family (3 under 10) and we do not have problem, as we stay two weeks in a home and the half week doing something else, camping, touring etc.

If you are looking for a family holiday, beach, sun and the rest with a young family try http://www.saint-jean-de-monts.com/ it is two hours south from the ferry in France. If you do not have kids then do not even hesitate, a car and a tent will see you happy out.

Finally given it is still 2013 you have plenty of time to sort out accommodation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

€309 for 4 of us return with outside cabin compared to €837 with inside cabin Irish ferries return to Roscoff

It's a fantastic launch deal. I'd be going to Spain myself but always wanted to do it slowly and drive through France and Spain over 2 to 3 nights. Thanks OP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Just booked three weeks for van + 5 + outside cabin and one seat.

Was originally getting a quote of £349, clicked through from this page and got it for £319.50. http://ldlines.co.uk/offers/saint-nazaire-rosslare

Just the cabins on IF were costing that last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Do you have to pay in full to book?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭tonic wine

what's the difference between 4 berth cabin (outside) and a 4 birth inside cabin?
    Looking to book with a young family. Thanks OP.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,170 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Outside cabin will have a porthole - little window - inside won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

It's a much better destination for anyone going south. Less miles

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,170 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Very true, St Jean de Monts is only about 1hr 15min from there as against around 4hrs 15 from Roscoff.

The departure/arrival/journey time aren't very appealing, but the price certainly is.

gally74 wrote: »
    It's a much better destination for anyone going south. Less miles

3+ hours extra on ferry vs 1 and a half hours more in car/camper van to Montpellier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

August 1
    3+ hours extra on ferry vs 1 and a half hours more in car/camper van to Montpellier.

and €500.00 extra (or not) in your pocket!

• Advertisement
Advertisement