Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 3 1 from the beginning

Options
  • 09-12-2013 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone.
    I am going to embark on the 5 3 1 program over the coming months and would like to log it here as a means of motivation and hopefully gain some useful information from the lads here with alot more experience than me.
    A quick history of me:
    31 yr old, 90kgs on the nose standing 6ft.
    Former average GAA footballer and for the past 12 months i have dabbled in weight lifting. By that i mean, going to the gym 4 times a week but with no real structured plan. Have been working off basic fitness magazine split routines and have made some gains, but nothing worth talking about.
    5 3 1 as you all know is simple in the amount of movements, but i think it should suit what im aiming for.
    Feel free to ask any questions of me and ill do my best to answer them.
    I hope to post some vids of my form and maybe you guys can help me along.
    At the moment these are my 1RMs.
    Squat 130kgs.
    Deadlift 140kgs
    Bench press 80kgs
    OHP 70kgs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

Monday 09.12.13
    OHP 3 sets.
    5x 45kgs
    5x 52.5
    5x 60 (Gassed after 3, had to min rest to complete)
    Assistance
    3x15 full rom dips
    6x3 full rom pull ups

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Your OHP is way above your other lifts reletively speaking. Have you previously had a lot of focus on shoulders?

No, none whatsoever. If im being honest, i could 1 rm more on the DL and squat, but i would rather start off a little lighter. Really want to nail down good form.
    I have wondered how my numbers compared to each other alright...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Still seems a very big jump ahead of the rest. I'm not sure where my OHP is but it's probably somewhere similar to yours within a few kilos and my other numbers are a good bit above.

Deadlift day:
    3 sets of 5 progressing from 85kgs to 97.5kgs to 122.5
    Assisted with 3 sets of 10 rep 50kgs good mornings plus failure on pistol squats.
    Enjoyable workout felt good.

• Advertisement

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Still seems a very big jump ahead of the rest. I'm not sure where my OHP is but it's probably somewhere similar to yours within a few kilos and my other numbers are a good bit above.

To be honest, ive never tried to pb a 1rm DL. Maybe i could go heavier, but im happy with this for now.
    My bench is muck, always has been, its something that i will enjoy seeing an improvement in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

Have to agree with Blacktie, don't think I've ever seen anyone with an OHP so similar to their bench. Are you sure you're not doing a push press? And you say you're worried about your form on squat and deadlift, I'd probably worry most about my OHP, I find it easiest to strain my shoulders/elbows than anything else.

Did bench last night, 65% 75% 85% and then 1 rep maxed again to see what I could get. Maxed at 85. Cant explain it fellas but those are my figures! And I am properly OHPing with quite good form. I had a PT just take a quick look at my OHP form and BP and he could see no real fault. I will post vids in the new year.
    going on my stag to melbourne tomorrow and getting married in 2 weeks so gonna gym in the morn then 3 days off because of the stag.

Advertisement