Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boggers Log

• 28-11-2013 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

After some sage advise from Krusty, I've decided to dip my toe into the training log pool.

My 12 month objective is to crack a sub 3, but my immediate objective is to run a 3.05 -3.07 in Seville in February.

I've done a few marathons and did Valencia a couple of weeks ago as a training run (fantastic event by the way), and I've started a 12 week McMillan running program last Monday.

I'll try to post here as frequently as possible and would appreciate any feedback proffered.

Again, tnx Krusty for his time and inputs.

TbL

3 sessions completed so far;

1. 30 min warm up followed by, 22, 30 second strides with 1 min recovery run at between 5k and 1 mile race pace. 15 min cool down jog

2. 70 mins easy run

3. 50 min easy run

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Will be great to see a different approach to training and track your progress. Will also be interested to hear how much interaction you have with the online coaching team. Best of luck with the goal. At least you won't be afraid of the long runs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

Best of luck with the log :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Good stuff- that McMillan coaching stuff has always piqued my interest ! Will be following- good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Best of luck with the log. Like others will be interested to see your progression and be interested to see a modern Lydiardite coaching philosophy implemented to its fullest extent

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Headed out early this morning to do the session.

The program called for a 15 min warm up followed up with 60 min "pace boost" session at between 6.50-7.15 pace, and 15 min cool down.

I started the session with some trepidation and concern that I wouldn't hit the target.

I was right. (no speed work lately)

Slow jog warm up followed by 60 mins at 7.19 average followed by slow jog/walk warm down.

Splits for 60 min boost;

Mile 1: 7.08
    2: 7.22
    3: 7.55
    4: 7.15
    5: 7.20
    6: 6.45
    7: 7.09
    8: 7.25
    0.2 1.40

Stepping out of your comfort zone is hard :)

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I always find the first few sessions in a new training program really tough. It just takes a while for the body to adjust. There'll also surely come a time when you'll fu** up a session and start to think negative thoughts. The reality is that no-one hits a plan 100% of the time and everyone gets a rough day. You just have to keep plugging away when it does happen.

So do you have the full plan mapped out, or do they send you a couple of weeks in advance?

Hi Krusty,

I wasn't too pissed off as it was a rolling course and I didn't feel too bad when I finished, probably could have pushed it out and hit the target, but it's early in the program and I was anxious not to over cook it.

They send out the program in 4 week batches, the online coach assigned is Andrew Lemoncello, and from the few queries I have asked him he seems to know his stuff, in fact he confirmed a lot of what you were telling me :)

The program is expensive, I got it as a gift and I'm hoping that it coupled with some advise on here will help me hit my target.

Tnx,

TbL

They send out the program in 4 week batches, the online coach assigned is Andrew Lemoncello, and from the few queries I have asked him he seems to know his stuff, in fact he confirmed a lot of what you were telling me :)

Not a bad man to be able to pick the brain of

http://www.runnerslife.co.uk/andrew-lemoncello/profile

http://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=933

Back into the comfort zone.

What a beautiful day for running.

Program called for a short recovery run but given the day I decided to do the long run instead.

Long run was to be 18-20m @ an average pace range of 7.35 - 8.45.

Started off very, very, slowly and after warming up I felt good, the course was quite flat.

I decided to do the run with no food/gels or fluids, to see how I'd cope with that.

Got to mile 17 still feeling strong and decided to pull up my (compression) socks, literally, and try and up the pace for a couple of miles.

Ran mile 18 @ 7.55, mile 19 @ 7.44 and mile 20 @ 7.32.

Was very happy with that finish and added 2 more miles cool down for a total run of 22 miles @8.22.

Felt great at the end, if only all sessions ended like this :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Nice work out, I think we're at similar level, so I'm looking fwd to your progress.
    Any key races between now and Feb?

• Advertisement

Nice work out, I think we're at similar level, so I'm looking fwd to your progress.
    Any key races between now and Feb?

AMK,

I've done a fair few marathons but very little shorter stuff, I'd love to have your 5 & 10k PB.

I've a marathon PB from Waterford in 2012 of 3.15, I've also done a fair few sub 3.30 & 3.20 but my shorter PB' s are crap, did a 41.15 in Athenry 10k last Xmas.

I'm going to do the Athenry 10k again and I'll probably look around for a half, although they tend to depress me once I put my times into the predictor calculator:)

Got some good advise from Krusty and I'm hoping that the McMillan program pushes me on to my goal.

I'll keep an eye on your log and good luck with the training.

Are you aiming for Manchester?

TbL

AMK,

Are you aiming for Manchester?

TbL

Indeed!

Indeed!

It's a good one for a PB attempt, nice and flat and plenty of water in pouches, frequent gels etc.

Depending on how Seville goes, I'll either do Manchester or Limerick.

TbL

Writing this log has had its first positive effect.

My arse and the couch were getting intimate all evening and I had no motivation to go out.

The thought of writing up a missed session so early in my plan forced me to lower the jumbo bag of Minstrils and grab the head torch.

Did a very slow 40 minute recovery run.

Can't say I enjoyed it but my legs will probably thank me for it later this week :)

Total mileage this week 60.5 (this kinda surprised me as most other program's I've attempted usually took a while to get up to that mileage, I suppose those wu/cd miles add up), but the legs don't feel too bad.

TbL

Program called for 90-105 mins ER, pace range 7.28-8.28, purpose, build endurance.

Feel a bit of a head cold/sore throat coming on, I've take some many supplements and vits that my pee looks like Luke Skywalkers light sabre :)

Did 13.34m in 1.49 odd, average pace 8.14.

Off to munch some raw garlic

TbL

ecoli wrote: »

Thats class. 1:01 HM and 2:13 M - I'd listen to what he says ;)

drquirky wrote: »
    Thats class. 1:01 HM and 2:13 M - I'd listen to what he says ;)

Don't think he ran too many marathons but I assume a 1.01 HM would suggest potential to run the full quicker than that.

TbL

Still trying to stave off the sore throat, the stench of garlic is overpowering and the missus is trying to get me out of the house to do a long run :)

Program today called for a 60-70 min ER. ( to build endurance)

Started a bit slow bit despite the sore throat felt good and picked up the pace throughout.

Did 8.72m in 67:37. Average pace 7.45.

TbL

Still trying to stave off the sore throat, the stench of garlic is overpowering and the missus is trying to get me out of the house to do a long run :)

Program today called for a 60-70 min ER. ( to build endurance)

Started a bit slow bit despite the sore throat felt good and picked up the pace throughout.

Did 8.72m in 67:37. Average pace 7.45.

TbL

Manuka honey in peppermint tea I find is a good one for the throat. Mind you the garlic is not a bad way to be able to get out and train without her giving out that you spend to much time out training :D

ecoli wrote: »
    Manuka honey in peppermint tea I find is a good one for the throat. Mind you the garlic is not a bad way to be able to get out and train without her giving out that you spend to much time out training :D

Ecoli, the missus sends her thanks :)

Program called for 40-50 mins ER.

Did a very slow 5.35m in 47.02

TbL

• Advertisement

Well talking about being brought down to earth with a bang.

Program called for 15-30 min wu + Fartlek workout 8-10 times 2 mins with 1-2 mins recovery jog + 15-30 min cd. Purpose: build speed (ha!) - Aerobic capacity.

Did this on a rolling/hilly route.

After seeing AMK's km splits last week the size of the challenge has become abundantly clear.

Did 30 min slow warm up followed by 10 x 2 mins, with 2 mins recovery (had planned on taking 90 sec recovery!!!)

Pace

1. 6.43 (started at base of a hill (soon felt like an idiot)
    2. 6.40
    3. 6.03
    4. 6.16
    5. 6.15
    6. 5.56
    7. 5.50
    8. 6.16
    9. 6.41
    10. 6.47

Followed by a slow trudge home with a head full of doubts.

Only positives I can take is that I wanted to stop a rep 8 but did two more (albeit they were crap) and my legs don't seem tired at all.

TbL

Well talking about being brought down to earth with a bang.

Program called for 15-30 min wu + Fartlek workout 8-10 times 2 mins with 1-2 mins recovery jog + 15-30 min cd. Purpose: build speed (ha!) - Aerobic capacity.

Did this on a rolling/hilly route.

After seeing AMK's km splits last week the size of the challenge has become abundantly clear.

Did 30 min slow warm up followed by 10 x 2 mins, with 2 mins recovery (had planned on taking 90 sec recovery!!!)

Pace

1. 6.43 (started at base of a hill (soon felt like an idiot)
    2. 6.40
    3. 6.03
    4. 6.16
    5. 6.15
    6. 5.56
    7. 5.50
    8. 6.16
    9. 6.41
    10. 6.47

Followed by a slow trudge home with a head full of doubts.

Only positives I can take is that I wanted to stop a rep 8 but did two more (albeit they were crap) and my legs don't seem tired at all.

TbL

I wouldn't read too much into that man- looks like an ok workout to me. Good stuff getting through it if you wanted to quit.

Pay no attention to other people's splits on their logs. Plenty of posters I could trash in a race routinely post quicker training splits in particular workouts. Trust your programme, run to effort and you'll see big improvements. Just from what I've see so far I've a good feeling about your chances for the sub 3 w/ the programme you're following. Early days yet.

(oh and AMK has a bit of a track record of running his w/o's too fast) I'll say no more but check back through his log and you'll see all the **** he took over a couple of w/outs in his last mara cycle lol (no disrespect AMK just giving the TBL something to chew on)

Agree with alot of what DQ is saying.

You are not gonna hit every session out of the park. There are days where you are going to struggle either mentally or physically. One session will not make or break you what you need to do is keep the bigger picture in mind.

Also regarding session splits. If you look at my log in the early stages I made this mistake. Over the last few years despite the fact that my race times have come down I have still not hit the kinda splits I was hitting back then. I learned the train smarter not harder mentality really does work. You will get more from a session running at your own paces than trying to kill yourself keeping up with the Jone's

@DrQuirky @ Ecoli,

Tnx guys,

Appreciate the advise.

I had expected to knock out a least a couple of 5.45's, but speed has never been my forte.

The strange thing is that a couple of hours after the run, my legs feel fine, I reckon I could go out and do a good long session.

I've only 2 weeks done, I feel strong and the excess weight I'm carrying is starting to drop off, so I'll concentrate on the positives.

Tnx again

TbL

drquirky wrote: »

(oh and AMK has a bit of a track record of running his w/o's too fast) I'll say no more but check back through his log and you'll see all the **** he took over a couple of w/outs in his last mara cycle lol (no disrespect AMK just giving the TBL something to chew on)

It wasn't me - it was that RunningKing dude.......

:pac:

Nice evening for a run.

Program called for an ER 40-50 mins.

Put yesterday's demons out of my head and did an enjoyable 6 miles in 51.02

TbL

Program called for an 18-20 miler.

Didn't exactly have the breakfast of champions in preparation for this, lashed into the full Irish, half put up a Christmas tree and headed out.

Ran on a tough hilly course, and it was quite windy.

Decided to go out without any fluids/gels/foods again.

Did 20 miles at average 8.21.

Tough inclines and wind made this reasonably hard and I faded a bit over miles 17 & 18 before picking it up a bit for the last two.

Total weekly mileage was again just over the 60 miles, so all in all happy enough.

Two Fartlek sessions next week, I'm not looking forward to those :)

TbL

out of interest, does your training program discuss nutrition or anything like that ??

I'd say your ears were burning last night as a few of us were discussing your program and very happy to be reading your log & take notes :)

AMK,

Don't know about the ears burning but my groin was itchin today (didn't have enough bodyglide :) )

In relation to nutrition, there were basic nutritional guides, and pre/post run what to eat/drink. Nothing to write home about TBH.

Getting my overall nutrition right is a big problem for me as I eat a rake of crap and need to lose at least a stone before Seville.

I asked AL (the online coach) about the fluids/gels on the long run, and was told it was ok for these slower long runs and it would train my body to burn fat, however for the long progression runs he advised taking on fluids and maybe a gel.

Even though I did two miles less today (than last weeks long run), I felt a lot more tired at the end, and would have definitely have benefited from a drink.

Well done yesterday on your PB, I don't think I'd run that in a month of Sundays. Speed (or lack thereof) is going to be the big challenge for me. Still if I can see through the program I'll be disappointed if I don't hit a 3.05-3.08 in Seville.

I also find it good to dip into others people's log, to get other perspectives and some motivation.

Hope ye enjoyed the beers :)

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

It wasn't me - it was that RunningKing dude.......

:pac:

Is he going to roll out this excuse EVERY single time???

Just catching up on your log TBL. Regarding that fartlek session last week, my coach is big on getting guys to quid if the times are starting to drop. Just because the session calls for 10 reps, doesn't mean you have to nail it every time. Now I concentrate on shorter stuff so it may not be as relevant as for the longer stuff but as ecoli and drquirky say, it's not about knocking the session out of the park every time. Slow down a tad and enjoy (if possible) the fartlek's. Time's will naturally come down if you keep up the solid mileage!

Advertisement