Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas songs that ain't

Options
  • 23-11-2013 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I was just moving my ever-expanding Christmas tunes playlist to my generic mp3 player, and I notice that quite a few of them are not actually about Christmas or anything related to it, but seem to be wheeled out only at this time of year (and let's be thankful for that :D)

For example

In fact, a lot of McCartney songs for some reason (Pipes of Peace - the video is about Christmas, sure, is the song?). Also I'm not sure the one mention of Christmas in 'Stop the Cavalry' qualifies it as a Christmas song. What else you got?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

East 17 - Stay Another Day.

It's on probably every Christmas compilation I own. I know it was a Christmas number one, but there have been lots of others and you don't see Bob the Builder on every Christmas album!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 338 ✭✭Crazy Eye

tomboylady wrote: »

It's on probably every Christmas compilation I own. I know it was a Christmas number one, but there have been lots of others and you don't see Bob the Builder on every Christmas album!

whats left of east 17 are now resorting to playing in regency hotel this christmas , dinner and e17 live in concert for 49 euro ,how the mighty have fallen .
    https://www.regencyhotels.com/Hotels/content.asp?pageID=1019

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

The Power of Love is one of my favourites.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 338 ✭✭Crazy Eye

heres the christmas video for the song , still dressed up all street and gansta style with some show thrown in for christmas , its cheesy as hell

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I've been thinking the sane thing for years! It might be because they put Christmas bells in the background at the end? I'm not sure!

• Advertisement

... And they're playing Stay Another Day on Christmas FM right now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Stay Another Day was released in 1994, not long after I turned 9. I don't really remember it not being played at Christmas. It was always on the Christmas albums we played at home. To me it will always be a Christmas song. My husband is older than me and to him it will always be ridiculous that it's considered a Christmas song.

It doesn't seem to happen any more that Christmas number ones are considered Christmas songs. I had a quick look at the track listing of Now That's What I Call Christmas 2013 on Amazon to see if anything stood out and they're all Christmas songs with the exception of the usual Power of Love and Stay Another Day.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The Power of Love is not a Christmas song. It just happened to be number 1 for a week in December and the video was nativity themed to coincide with the time of the year it was released. However it could just as easily have been released in July and no-one would have given it a second thought that it was a Christmas song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Zaph wrote: »
    The Power of Love is not a Christmas song. It just happened to be number 1 for a week in December and the video was nativity themed to coincide with the time of the year it was released. However it could just as easily have been released in July and no-one would have given it a second thought that it was a Christmas song.

Of course. That's the point of the thread though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Christmas number 1 when i was born was Pink Floyd - Another Brick in the Wall. Queen were number 1 twice with Bohemian Rhapsody, in 75 and 91. I always find it weird how songs like Stay Another Day and Power of Love are considered Christmas songs, yet songs like the two above aren't!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

God I hate the power of love. It's like a big sh!te in the middle of my lovely Christmassy porridge. I'd ban it from the world if I could!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I always associate Natasha Bedingfield's "Unwritten" with Christmas even though it's not a Christmas song.

Jingle Bells isn't really anything to do with Christmas, is it? Christmas isn't mentioned at all, the lyrics are about riding around through the snow in a sleigh

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UK_Singles_Chart_Christmas_number_ones I was reading through them earlier.

A spaceman came travelling is my favourite non christmas christmas song:) I know it is sort of a christmas song but i was well in to my 20s before I knew that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Freiheit's "Keeping The Dream Alive" has absolutely NOTHING to do with Christmas yet our beloved Christmas FM had it on heavy rotation last year.....

That effing Frog Chorus too....

AND it seems every American top 10 seller hoiks a Christmas Album out before the record company pulls the plug.

Bring back Shakey...... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Crazy Eye wrote: »
    heres the christmas video for the song , still dressed up all street and gansta style with some show thrown in for christmas , its cheesy as hell

Video might be cheesy but the song is a very good one imho.

The song of course is not about Christmas at all, its about grief. Not many songs deal with this issue. I can think of the top of my head of Julia and Mother by John Lennon, My Father by Nina Simone, Tank Park Salute by Billy Bragg......not too many others.

Stay by East 17 mightn't be quite as good as these but its still a fine song.

And as a song, it confronts the issue of death and grief more directly and explicitly than any of the above.

As for the video, if you understand that the singer wrote the song about his big brother who committed suicide, and he is singing 'if you've got to go away, I don't think I can take the pain' then its a little less cheesy when you see him sing it.

I'm guessing the other lads in the video were poncing about with their chains because it was too much of a hot topic for the record company to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭merlie

I have these two non Christmas songs on my Christmas playlist, yet they
    have a Christmassy feel about them

This song was the theme from the movie 'The Secret Garden'

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭omicron

Moonbeam wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UK_Singles_Chart_Christmas_number_ones I was reading through them earlier.

A spaceman came travelling is my favourite non christmas christmas song:) I know it is sort of a christmas song but i was well in to my 20s before I knew that.

Irish one is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Walking in a Winter Wonderland. Doesn't mention Christmas at all but to me it's definitely a Christmas song :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Love of the Common People - Paul Young

I think this was a hit around Christmas, has a Christmassy sound (although the lyrics are kind of bleak despite the upbeat melody) It had mentions of cold and snow.

It's a favourite of mine anyway and always in my Christmas mix

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Not a Christmas related tune at all but considering its the 1st December it is an apt tune for the (official now) start of the festivities :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Walking in a Winter Wonderland. Doesn't mention Christmas at all but to me it's definitely a Christmas song :)

There was a documentary on a while ago on TV about the secularisation of Christmas related music in the early to mid 20th century- songs like Winter Wonderland, Let it snow, Frosty the snowman, - all associated with Christmas but no mention of Christmas-

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Video might be cheesy but the song is a very good one imho.

The song of course is not about Christmas at all, its about grief. Not many songs deal with this issue. I can think of the top of my head of Julia and Mother by John Lennon, My Father by Nina Simone, Tank Park Salute by Billy Bragg......not too many others.

Stay by East 17 mightn't be quite as good as these but its still a fine song.

And as a song, it confronts the issue of death and grief more directly and explicitly than any of the above.

As for the video, if you understand that the singer wrote the song about his big brother who committed suicide, and he is singing 'if you've got to go away, I don't think I can take the pain' then its a little less cheesy when you see him sing it.

I'm guessing the other lads in the video were poncing about with their chains because it was too much of a hot topic for the record company to deal with.

I didn't know that, makes it even more beautiful and heart wrenching, wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

who remembers this ....

The Flying Pickets, xmas No 1 in 1983 (can you believe it :eek:) god i feel old

no instruments just human vocals,

*the lead singer went on to play the part of Dougie in coronation st

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Cant believe nobody has mentioned The winter Hymnal by the fleet foxes. Best non-related Christmas song ever(scary video though).......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

God I hate the power of love. It's like a big sh!te in the middle of my lovely Christmassy porridge. I'd ban it from the world if I could!

One of the most depressing songs ever.

David Essex-"A Winter's Tale".

And come to think of it,"Walking In The Air" isn't really about Xmas either-tis just the video that goes with the song,and of course twas taken from the film "The Snowman".

fryup wrote: »
    who remembers this ....

The Flying Pickets, xmas No 1 in 1983 (can you believe it :eek:) god i feel old

no instruments just human vocals,

*the lead singer went on to play the part of Dougie in coronation st
    ....and then the song was used in tv ad for paint!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Any spice girls Christmas number one,god i really hated when they dominated christmas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭April O Neill II

I love both 'The Power of Love' and 'Stay Another Day'.

The former doesn't feel Christmassy to be me at all though, but the latter very much does. Christmas is a sad time for a lot of people and it taps into this quite beautifully. It's actually one of my favourite Christmas songs. It's achingly beautiful.

Advertisement