Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kanye, what a guy!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Defintely the biggest one that gives airtime.

This is his latest tirade of wisdom, the greatest person that ever lived, dead or alive...

There's belief and then there's gross narcism.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GarH

"Hey Kanye. Do you like fishsticks?"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

GarH wrote: »
    "Hey Kanye. Do you like fishsticks?"

Love em

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Either he's completely deluded, or a masterful troll

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I don't get Kanye. What is it that he's good at, and in what way is he good at it?!?

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I don't know. Somehow his album got onto my ipod and I thought there were chickens scraping at the insides of my ears.
    Awful awful so called music.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

endacl wrote: »
    I don't get Kanye. What is it that he's good at, and in what way is he good at it?!?

:confused:

He's a whining, incoherent narcissist with a giant ego, but, I have to admit the man makes some damn good music (he writes and produces most of it)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

A lot of people don't like him for being like that though, so that kind of sucks for him.

Egotistical fool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

Had to laugh at this p*ss take on his new video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y8aFwTPgBA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

I don't get it either.

His music is middle-of-the-road, easily forgettable tripe from a completely undeserving wanker.

Next.

• Advertisement

I don't get it either.

His music is middle-of-the-road, easily forgettable tripe from a completely undeserving wanker.

Next.

I respectfully disagree, I think you are letting his status as asshole du jour affect your opinion of his music (I'm also guessing you have listened to a limited amount of his work). He made his name as a producer before he ever released an album and is highly regarded within the industry. His albums have been some of the most original and innovative in modern hip hop and he should also get kudos for not rapping about murdering people and whatnot

• Registered Users Posts: 19 TommyL

Highly regarded within the industry? Really?
    This sentence is everything that's wrong with music today. Everyone thinks its a ****ing industry or business. The more money that is made off an album, the higher it is regarded.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    I respectfully disagree, I think you are letting his status as asshole du jour affect your opinion of his music (I'm also guessing you have listened to a limited amount of his work). He made his name as a producer before he ever released an album and is highly regarded within the industry. His albums have been some of the most original and innovative in modern hip hop and he should also get kudos for not rapping about murdering people and whatnot

He has valid things to say, but says them with an extremly high opinion of himself. So what he is actually saying goes un-noticed.

He had to even fight and beg to allow lables and execs listen to him rapping, but they just wanted him for his production.

If he wasnt highly regarded musically he wouldnt have had the likes of Pharell, Timberland, Rick Rubin, Daft Punk, etc. all collaborating with him on his latest album.

TommyL wrote: »
    This sentence is everything that's wrong with music today. Everyone thinks its a ****ing industry or business. The more money that is made off an album, the higher it is regarded.

Of course it's a ****ing business, what an idiotic remark. Do you think musicians play 3 hour shows every day for weeks on end just out of the goodness of their heart? Or slog away for months in a studio purely for the love of music? I bet you're one of those individuals who call a band 'sell outs' as soon as they become sucessful. Peace out maaaaann!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 TommyL

I use the term 'sell out' roughly the same amount of times as i use the term 'highly regarded within the industry'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,823 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

TommyL wrote: »

Really? It's been an industry and a business right from the start. How do you not realise that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

First class W*nker, excellant producer and some of his stuff is great to listen to. I just hate admitting it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭wolfmoon87

:D

You are correct in assuming I have listened to only a limited amount of his work, but you can use that argument for any artist when trying to convince someone of the artists worth.

I've yet to enjoy anything I've heard by him. I just watched videos for BLKKK SKKKN HEAD and Bound 2 to give him a chance and I honestly cringed throughout.

I couldn't give a toss if he's the greatest producer who ever lived, I still think he's ****e.

And **** the industry.

You are correct in assuming I have listened to only a limited amount of his work, but you can use that argument for any artist when trying to convince someone of the artists worth.

That's cos it's a pretty good argument

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The problem with Kanye, and Prince before him, is that they forget that an artist can't just be judged during his life time or how well their last two albums did.
    It's their legacy that will decide how good they really were.

At least The Beatles were taking the piss when they said "we are bigger than Jesus" (I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I've yet to enjoy anything I've heard by him. I just watched videos for BLKKK SKKKN HEAD and Bound 2 to give him a chance and I honestly cringed throughout.

I couldn't give a toss if he's the greatest producer who ever lived, I still think he's ****e.

And **** the industry.

Listen to more before you make a judgement.

The following is one of the best songs I've heard in many years. He wrote it two weeks after having reconstructive surgery on his jaw. His jaw was still wired up, hence the title - "Through the Wire".

I can't find any fault with it at all. I'm not a fan of his ego, but his talent is unquestionable. He has produced/performed some of the greatest hip hop tracks of all time.

biko wrote: »
    The problem with Kanye, and Prince before him, is that they forget that an artist can't just be judged during his life time or how well their last two albums did.
    It's their legacy that will decide how good they really were.

At least The Beatles were taking the piss when they said "we are bigger than Jesus" (I think).

I don't know much about Prince, can you clarify your point? Was he a massive twit like Kanye?

Personally, short of actual crime, there's not much knowledge of a musicians life/personality that will influence my opinion of their music in any significant way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

People are allowed to dislike certain music without listening to the artist's entire repertoire!!
    It's completely nitpicky to expect a person to listen to all, or nearly all the artist's songs before they judge whether or not they enjoy their music.
    Unless of course the person is some sort of music critic employed to give an informed and educated assessment of the artist.
    This is just an internet forum, and these are just average people (i.e. not people claiming to be music critics) expressing a personal opinion based on their own subjective tastes.
    C'est tout.

(P.S. Kanye West's music sucks big hairy balls :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Doris300

As a huge Kanye fan I must stand up for my favourite artist. All those tweets are obviously fake. Kanye is one of the most critically acclaimed artists of the century and just the last few days he's been awarded album of the year (Stereogum and Spin.com, 2nd on Rolling Stones)and he has the 3rd most Grammys of all time. He has redefined the hip-hop genre by being not being a gangster and not rapping about guns and women. Kanye also produced most of his own albums which shows he is apart of every piece of his music. He has a HUGE fanbase and perhaps bigger than the likes of Lady Gaga and Katy Perry because his newest album sold more copies than them first week with no promotion. His music has helped me a lot to grow as a person and get through tough times. I do not think anyway should dismiss him from how he is portrayed in media without knowing the man himself.

Here are a two of my favourite songs of his that I think you might enjoy if you listen with an open mind.

A song about his late mother ^

Probably my favourite of his songs ^

That's cos it's a pretty good argument

It is in its ****e, if every one of his tracks deemed good enough to be released as a single makes me want to claw my ears off then it's pretty safe to say I'm not going to be convinced by the rest of his work.

I can't stand that style of rapping, there's no flow to it whatsoever. It's completely simplistic and he raps exactly the same way on pretty much anything I've heard by him.

Even that "Through The Wire" song, sounding like you normally do even though your jaw is wired shut is not something I'd be too proud of.

Really says a lot about rap and hip-hop that someone who has a line about avoiding spunking on some mink should be praised for their lyrical mastery.

Really says a lot about rap and hip-hop that someone who has a line about avoiding spunking on some mink should be praised for their lyrical mastery.

No it doesn't. Way to make something up to fit an idea in your head.

Kanye isn't a lyrical master.

He's the maker of great songs.

No it doesn't. Way to make something up to fit an idea in your head.

Kanye isn't a lyrical master.

He's the maker of great songs.
    So he shouldn't get kudos for his lyrics? Glad we agree.

• Advertisement

So he shouldn't get kudos for his lyrics? Glad we agree.

At the start of his career he had some great lines but he has tailed off recently. He is still better than most.

His production blows almost every other album out of the water though.

Advertisement