Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repaying Loan (StudentLoansCo)

Options
  • 26-11-2013 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi,

I was in Queen's University for 3 years from 2007 - 2010. During that time, my tuition fees were paid for by the StudentLoansCo each year. Since graduating, I have gotten a job where I have been working for 3 years.

I haven't been paying back my loan since (believe it or not, I genuinely forgot all about the loans as they were paid directly by the SLC, i.e. it wasn't a loan paid to me which I then paid to QUB). How does one start repaying their loan? I'm a bit surprised I haven't heard anything from the SLC since - is this usual practise?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Are you living in ROI now? If so they send an Overseas Assessment Form around August each year, asking for details of your employment etc. and based on the info you provide they calculate a repayment amount for the forthcoming year. I get mine religiously every year and have done for the last 6 years.

If you moved and didn't inform them of your new address that would be why you haven't had any contact from them. Studentloanrepayment.co.uk has info on what to do next.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Bey0nd

Thanks for the info pow wow.

That's strange though, because I haven't moved and haven't changed any of my contact details, and have heard nothing from them at all. Haven't received any of the forms you've mentioned. Even when I was seeking loans for 2nd and 3rd year, I had to chase them for them - I don't think I ever received any correspondence from them without having to chase for it. Strange! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Are you working in the UK and earning more than the £15k threshold? If so your employer should be deducting your repayments from your salary, much like they do tax and national insurance. Your NINO is attached to your student loan (or at least it's supposed to be!).

If you're in ROI I'm not sure why they haven't contacted you as they never top contacting me :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Bey0nd

Yeah I'm in ROI - have been since the day I graduated. Very strange that, wonder if I've slipped through the cracks :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

i've not been repaying mine since moving down south. need to start doing that

• Advertisement
Advertisement