Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Whatcha Playing?

• 19-11-2013 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭

OK I don't want a mega-list of every single game on your phone/tablet. What are you actually playing at the moment?

King Oddball - This was a free app on Amazon last week. The version on google play is free, but ad-supported (click link, install, come back - you'll thank me later). Just ads, BTW (no IAP or paywalls). Paid version on Amazon (with no ads).

Very moreish, you can restart levels very quickly, and once you start, it's hard to stop. Lots of secret sets of levels with special conditions too. Half the fun is discovering them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Simpsons: Tapped Out and Castle Clash

King Oddball eh? that's almost how we describe you! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

Kinda addicted to Temple run 2 and eagerly waiting on The Room 2. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Higurashi: when they cry iPad seems to be the perfect fit for visual novels so it's great to be finally playing a game I had heard so much about. Starts off idyllic and serene then takes a very dark turn. The artwork is very amateur and the translation isn't the best but it's still effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I'm mad for Plants Vs Zombies 2.

Had the first one for Nintendo DS, second one is a mobile game now but still really good. There's a small few items you can't unlock without playing, and of course you can advance faster in the game if you pay to unlock things but more than enough of it is free!

Also been playing the new Rayman Run Fiesta, not my favourite type of gameplay but still enjoyable!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Oh yes I got that Rayman game (loved and finished the first one). Seems like more of the same (not a bad thing!)

I also got Type Rider after Eurogamer gave it 8/10 last week. I've only played the tutorial level but I really like it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-19-type-rider-review

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Super Hexagon on Android. It is my addiction and one day I will beat the 3rd, 5th and 6th levels of difficulty. It's a pain in the ring to play on the bus though ;)

One minor complaint is I bought it from Humble Bundle and it was built using an old Android SDK so it's got a crappy legacy options bar taking up space on the right hand side that I sometimes hit by accident. It does nothing at all except kill my rotation. The Play Store version is different though and has no options bar as of last week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I'm playing:

- The Room (I'm a few 'levels' through this, not sure how much longer to go)
    - SpellTower (just got it in the Humble Bundle and having fun with it - good multiplayer too)
    - Plants-vs-Zombies 2

Have so many games yet to play, same problem with my PC gaming!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Playing a bit of Ridiculous Fishing at the moment, fun enough but can feel repetitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Super Hexagon on Android. It is my addiction...

Always and forever Super Hexagon - my default poop-game.

TMI. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Or not enough?

McPixel is fun too. It tricks you into thinking intuitively at first then spends the rest of the game making you look like a fool for not knowing you have to hammer a bomb into a snake to stop the plane from blowing up.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Star Command is excellent. Doesn't have a lot of the features that they initially promised, but still has some good gameplay and allows you to be a captain of a spaceship.

It's definitely worth a few dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Zynga poker.....Its an easy game to play while waiting for a bus as each hand only last a minute or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Used to love all the Where's my Water games and sequels/variations but have just got bored of having to pay for each new small additions of levels and this constant nagging to go on facebook. I DONT HAVE FACEBOOK and even if I did I wouldn't go begging for keys. So after that rant, I'm playing Contre Jour from an old humble bundle and bit of ridiculous fishing, which has been said can get a bit repetitive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ridiculous fishing is vapid and utterly pointless.

I can't stop playing it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Ridiculous fishing is vapid and utterly pointless.

I can't stop playing it.

The ending is actually surprisingly fantastic, certainly for a game predominantly about shooting fish with the biggest guns you can get your hands on. Some seriously challenging catchables later on too. Great game where simple mechanics offer a whole lot of depth (not just in the oceanic sense).

I've been playing a lot of the Shin Megami Tensei port on iOS. I have to say that it works a hell of a lot better on iOS than any Final Fantasy style RPG. There should be more first person dungeon crawlers since they work so much better. The only problem is I sometimes find myself picking up the game after a long break and not knowing where I've to go next since the game really wasn't designed for short quick sessions.

Monument Valley is a lovely little puzzle game. Only a couple of hours long, but clever and gorgeous.

I just found out this morning that Tilt To Live 2 is out on Android. Brilliant game to pick up and play for a few minutes. I paid for it on my ipod touch 4 but it didn't run well at all. Smooth as butter on my HTC One M8.

Some games on Android that I am enjoying (or enjoyed recently). Rather than overload the thread with youtube clips, I'll link to them instead.

Devious Dungeon - new platformer made by the guys who made the Random Heroes game. Randomly generated 2D dungeon platformer over 65 levels, with bosses, progressive upgrades, secret areas and great music.

Blek - minimalist puzzle game where you draw a pattern with your finger, and that pattern continues until it goes off the screen. You need to pick up a certain amount of objects per level, and the challenge is figuring out which pattern to draw to pick everything up.

Duet (free on play store with IAP - the premium version with all levels included is part of the current Humble Mobile bundle). Touch left to rotate left. touch right to rotate right, resist temptation to throw phone across the room when you fail for the 50th time on the same obstacle. Brilliant game with a great soundtrack.

More later...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Hitman GO - currently on sale, it's a puzzle based version of Hitman where you have to get to your target by progressing through screens of guards either avoiding or killing them

Quizup - I'm still playing this quiz game with masses of topics that you compete with against another player on the clock

Daddy was a thief - you play a thief trying to getaway by bashing your way down through a skyscraper avoiding obstacles, very fast paced

Wordfeud - Scrabble by any other name would it smell as sweet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

King of dragon pass - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.herocraft.kodp&hl=en

First decent mobile game tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I recently decided to buy Secret of Mana on iOS and it is a pretty sweet port :)

Should've bought it years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I'm playing a lot of Clash of lords 2, and Castle clash - besides those, playing a game calle 'El' [iOS] - which is free! Think Badlands style gameplay but a silhouette of a little girl clinging to an umbrella instead and the music is hauntingly beautiful. It's one of those games with a name impossible to search for almost, but it's on the app store main page atm - and here's an alternate link for it: http://iphone.mob.org/game/el.html

Also about to grab Motorsport Manager as it's dropped in price from 4.99 to 1.79, got great reviews, not huge on motorsport myself so will see how I get along with it. I do like manager sims.

the best purchase that I have made that I play constantly is the word game ruzzle. there is a free version but the full version is worth it for $2 or whatever I paid in equlvalent. play against people all over the world in convenient 2 minute matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Shadowrun Returns.
    Great game but the load times are killing me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭patmac

Hit man Go was one of the best games that I have played, currently enjoying The Room 2.
    Leo's Fortune is an excellent platformer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Grabbed a few new games over last few days.

Puzzle to the centre of the earth: A 'match 3' puzzler crossed with spelunky, it's being compared to. Not bad.

Mmm Fingers: A dodging game where you use your actual finger to glide through menacing obstacles that want to chew your finger off. As addictive as it is frustrating

RGB express: Basically much like flow free, only instead of just coloured lines, they use coloured post vans that have to deliver parcels to the correct coloured depot. With different coloured vans not allowed cross paths. Starts easy, gets challenging fast!

Miika: 3D puzzler, very nice looking, simple idea, rotate the camera to form or fake pathways for Miika to cross to ring the bells and end the level.

Run Sackboy! Run: Obviously a runner, based on the character from little big planet. Very nice looking, plays very smoothly on the ipad mini, and IAP seems not necessary so far.

Jet run: Just got this, but I'd say it's a bit like subway surfers meets space invaders! yup :D

Smash Champs: I'd say, don't bother - it comes across as a fighter, but you don't actually have any control over the fighting, it's more a glorified Fruit ninja, only it requires less skill.

All above are free bar Miika.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Bonza - free on ios. Half crossword, half jigsaw puzzle, really good

http://cdn.cultofmac.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Bonza.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

Jet Car Stunts and I love it :D
    Also downloaded a PSX/1 emulator and I play Spyro and Destruction Derby 2 whenever I'm waiting or having an urge to play :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭patmac

New Star Soccer is brilliant.

Advertisement