Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kickstarter thread

Options
  • 30-06-2013 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭

I think it'd be a good idea to have a thread where people can post about kickstarters they see for games. If this is a bad idea for whatever reason, mods feel free to shut it.

I'll start with one.

Soul Saga
    A love letter to J-RPG classics from the Playstation era like Final Fantasy, Breath of Fire, Suikoden, and Persona.
    For Wii U, PS4 and Vita. Oh, and in this specific case they're looking to Steam too. Anyone interested give 'em a vote here

This one has already met its goal, but there are still stretch goals, so I figured it worth posting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/yatagarasu-attack-on-cataclysm
    Yatagarasu.

Small 2D fighter which has been a labour of love by 3 ex-SNK staff (they've worked 6 years on it so far!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I've seen some good Kickstarter stuff recently. I saw Paradise Lost: First Contact on some site. Can't remember where now. I backed it, and as part of their updates, they talk about other kickstarter programs. The ones they talk about are:

Dino Run 2 though I never played the first so wasn't too pushed to watch it yet.
    Interstellaria looks a lot like FTL.

The two I backed though, were Bloom and Stasis.

Edit: Stasis actually has a playable alpha available.
    http://www.stasisgame.com/getstasis

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The Mandate is looking pretty good. It's a mix of 4X, RPG and RTS (apparently) where you control a ship and it's crew while exploring space. Its supposed to focus on the crew quite heavily, and you get to upgrade and promote crew members to other ships in your fleet. Add in the usual 4X stuff (exploration, building management and random events). Kind of hard to describe, but sounds interesting.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun had a good write up with the devs recently.

7 days to go, and they are around 40k short of their 500k target. Should reach the total easily enough.

Kiith wrote: »
    The Mandate is looking pretty good. It's a mix of 4X, RPG and RTS (apparently) where you control a ship and it's crew while exploring space. Its supposed to focus on the crew quite heavily, and you get to upgrade and promote crew members to other ships in your fleet. Add in the usual 4X stuff (exploration, building management and random events). Kind of hard to describe, but sounds interesting.
    The next one I back now will be my 10th one. Angry Joe has a video up on it. Just about to watch it now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Deathfire is struggling but I backed it on day one. Guido Henkel was the main man on the Realms of Arkania rpgs (very highly regarded) and produced Planescape, worked on the Fallout 2 team etc. etc. but sadly doesn't seem to have the same clout as a Chris Avellone or Brian Fargo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Niska

Mandate looks close to my dream game, had to back it.

It's reached it's 500k target with 5 days to go. Nice to see the stretch goals don't add anything, and are only rewards for people who purchased certain tiers. Hopefully everything they want in game is already planned.

It's reached it's 500k target with 5 days to go. Nice to see the stretch goals don't add anything, and are only rewards for people who purchased certain tiers. Hopefully everything they want in game is already planned.
    Huh?
    • Funds beyond the minimum goal will contribute to making the game bigger: more tightly packed content, more art, more ships as well as new and refined gameplay mechanics. In addition we have some specific stretch goals:
    • $600.000: Away Missions on Planets. Perihelion has a long list of possible away missions planned, with both combat and non-combat options that can switch depending upon the scenario. The developer is inviting fans to visit The Mandate forums to suggest their favourite style of away missions and planet-side encounters.
    • $700.000: Starbase Boarding Operations. At this stretch goal we will model starbase interiors to allow for boarding operations to take place. It will also be possible for the player to walk around on and interact with his/her starbase outside of combat.
    • $800.000: Mod Support. Perihelion is a huge fan of the mod communities that have sprung up for the likes of Total War, Mount & Blade and The Elder Scrolls series. At this stretch goal we will be in a position to allocate more programmer and designer time to plan the code and data structures to greatly simplify the process of creating total conversions for The Mandate. Developer tools will receive extra polish and documentation so they can be used both by the devs and by the mod community. Start planning your mod or total conversion project today!
    • ???: TBD

Hmm, how'd i miss that. I only saw the below, and thought that was it.
    If we hit $550.000 then everybody who donated $100 and up will get the digital add-ons strategy guide, art bible, fully rigged 3d character models for FREE (originally this was at $200)

If we hit $650.000 then everybody who donated $50 and up will get the digital add-ons strategy guide, art bible, fully rigged 3d character models for FREE

If we hit $750.000 then everybody who donated $25 and up will get the digital add-ons strategy guide, art bible, fully rigged 3d character models for FREE

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

But surely they can implement a lot of that through DLC and updates if/when the game goes on sale and becomes successful.
    I watched the trailer and it looked really good. Wanted to back it but can't because I've no online payment abilities at present

• Advertisement

The Mandate is currently around $647k. Once it gets to $650k, everyone who backed $50 or more will get...
    $650.000: All backers from $50 and above will receive the digital add-ons Strategy Guide, Art Bible and 3D character pack#3 free of charge
    I'd love to see it get to $700k and:
    $700.000: Starbase Boarding Operations. At this stretch goal we will model starbase interiors to allow for boarding operations to take place. It will also be possible for the player to walk around on and interact with his/her starbase outside of combat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There's only four hours left so it's a bit short notice, but I love the look and sound of this game; a pixelart, 'metroidvania' stealth 'em up where you play an alien trying to evade capture by scientist / military types. There's some gameplay videos and it already looks quite advanced in its production so it seems like the KS campaign is more about pushing it over the finishing line, which makes for a nice change...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1183462809/paradise-lost-first-contact?ref=users

pixelburp wrote: »
    There's only four hours left so it's a bit short notice, but I love the look and sound of this game; a pixelart, 'metroidvania' stealth 'em up where you play an alien trying to evade capture by scientist / military types. There's some gameplay videos and it already looks quite advanced in its production so it seems like the KS campaign is more about pushing it over the finishing line, which makes for a nice change...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1183462809/paradise-lost-first-contact?ref=users
    It's just going for stretch goals now, and it was mentioned already.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Indeed I see the link now, but sure figured on giving it a bump seeing that The Mandate is getting repeated mentions.

I wish it was Secret Chapter 2 rather than Graphic Improvements as the next stretch goal.

STASIS - a 2D isometric point and click adventure game.

Haven't really been a fan of point and click games in a long time, but i like the look and feel of this. Cool art style, and looks interesting enough. Already funded, so just some stretch goals left for the last 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,302 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

2 interesting games coming out for cryengine

Kingdom Come: Deliverance and Cradle

both claiming unique combat

edit: I've backed Kingdom Come: Deliverance, looks fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Thanks for the info on The Mandate, hope that comes out. Dream game.

One thing bothers me about these games though. After getting 'kick-started' I see them still looking for funding via. paypal on their own websites. Nothing wrong with that in itself it just it's usually the same packages and prices as were on kickstarter. What are you funding then in the first place? Do the Kickstarter people themselves have a problem with companys doing that?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

La Mulana 2 is getting kickstartered:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playism/la-mulana-2

The first game is an absolute classic even if it's bastard hard (hint, you need to have a notebook of clues in the game to get anywhere).

If you don't believe me the first game is 90% off on steam for less than 1.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Skerries wrote: »
    2 interesting games coming out for cryengine

Kingdom Come: Deliverance and Cradle

both claiming unique combat

I looked at it 2 days ago
    60,000 pound
    checked out the video, loved every detail they mentioned and it looks brilliant :D backed it straight away
    they said if they don't reach their goal they wouldn't be able to make the game
    2 days later they beat their goal :P they have over 310 grand, thats unreal haha really looking forward to this game, love kickstarter:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Skerries wrote: »

Yeah, has to be done really.

Hm, I'm not really optimistic Cradle will make it. It might be the first project I backed that doesn't meet its goal. There has been one that was a close call, but managed it on its last day, but that had a much lower requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭rgfuller

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Hm, I'm not really optimistic Cradle will make it. It might be the first project I backed that doesn't meet its goal. There has been one that was a close call, but managed it on its last day, but that had a much lower requirement.

The problem for me with Cradle is the over 2 year development time before release, it's just too long.

rgfuller wrote: »
    The problem for me with Cradle is the over 2 year development time before release, it's just too long.
    We don't know that this game will meet its target, but I'm not put off by a date being long off. I'm more likely to believe it will meet its target, in fact if they have a release date that is a ways back. I've had a few that have been put back. Shovel Knights and Torment: Tides of Numenera being two example off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I think it looks absolutely awful.
    I don't think anyone would want to gear themselves up in that in their room for the few games that would be available to play.

Its good as a proof of concept, that's about it I'd say.

That looks horrendous; maybe it's just me being an old fogey but I like gaming sitting down, relaxed in a chair needing only minimal interactions with the game, not flailing about in-front of my TV like a spanner.

Anyway, while pixelart is kinda hitting overuse, this looks like an interesting FTL'alike:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/19027642/galactic-princess

It has 3 different types. One you can use while sitting down.

• Advertisement

To be honest, the Oculus and Wiimote are already beyond the pale for this gamer, so any further strap-ons (ooh err) and widgets seem even more gimmicky and excessive than existing devices. All these things seem like answers to questions nobody asked, but if this company feels there's a market out there for their business, more power to them :)

Advertisement