Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** HOW TO JOIN THE PARAMEDIC/FIRE SERVICE ***

Options
  • 20-11-2013 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I'm 20 years old and studying a non-medical related subject in college. In the last 6 months or so I've developed an interest in becoming a full time paramedic or firefighter. As far as I know, there is no direct entry system through college. I've recently done IHA/PHECC First Responders Course and I'm recognised in my local area. It's a start, but where to I go from here? Do I have to work my way up from the bottom?

I appreciate any help and advice!

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭lighterman

TheClubMan wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I'm 20 years old and studying a non-medical related subject in college. In the last 6 months or so I've developed an interest in becoming a full time paramedic or firefighter. As far as I know, there is no direct entry system through college. I've recently done IHA/PHECC First Responders Course and I'm recognised in my local area. It's a start, but where to I go from here? Do I have to work my way up from the bottom?

I appreciate any help and advice!

Thanks.

lol. Where do you expect to start. Why wouldn't you start at the bottom

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭hopperdavy

The last time I saw positions advertised for the HSE ambulance service the only qualification you needed was to be a van driver .ie no leaving cert , no fetac , no college qualifications ..... Just a van drivers license ?

I wonder is that still the case , I heard it caused some problems with the third level institutions in that they had objections admitting individuals to the Paramedic courses who had little or no educational qualifications .

Perhaps things might be different if they recruited now ,

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

hopperdavy wrote: »
    The last time I saw positions advertised for the HSE ambulance service the only qualification you needed was to be a van driver .ie no leaving cert , no fetac , no college qualifications ..... Just a van drivers license ?

That must of been a long time ago!
    For the National Ambulance Service you do indeed require a clean driving licence at C1 level, but you also need your Leaving Certificate which must include English, Maths and a Science subject. I'm not 100% on the education level for the fire service but I believe it was minimum level Group/Inter/Junior Cert.

Both the National Ambulance Service and Dublin Fire Brigade have just completed a recruitment drive so I would imagine it could be a few years before they advertise again.
    I don't know anything about other full time or retained fire services.

Rumour has it that Paramedic training/qualification will be going CAO, possibly from 2014 on.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭TheClubMan

lighterman wrote: »
    lol. Where do you expect to start. Why wouldn't you start at the bottom

What I meant was, do I have to build up my CV with different qualifications by doing different courses before I could apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The very first thing you should do is join your local Civil Defence/Order of Malta/Red Cross or St John's Ambulance unit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭TheClubMan

Bang Bang wrote: »
    That must of been a long time ago!
    For the National Ambulance Service you do indeed require a clean driving licence at C1 level, but you also need your Leaving Certificate which must include English, Maths and a Science subject. I'm not 100% on the education level for the fire service but I believe it was minimum level Group/Inter/Junior Cert.

Both the National Ambulance Service and Dublin Fire Brigade have just completed a recruitment drive so I would imagine it could be a few years before they advertise again.
    I don't know anything about other full time or retained fire services.

Rumour has it that Paramedic training/qualification will be going CAO, possibly from 2014 on.

I already have my B and W category license. I think I might apply for my C1 now that I know it's a necessity. I just missed out! Maybe I could finish my degree then look at my options. Can you tell me anything more about the CAO course?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

TheClubMan wrote: »
    I already have my B and W category license. I think I might apply for my C1 now that I know it's a necessity. I just missed out! Maybe I could finish my degree then look at my options. Can you tell me anything more about the CAO course?

I would finish the degree and in the interim get the C1 licence because currently you can have the highest of medical qualifications, degrees and MSc's but if you don't have the correct licence you will not be entertained when recruitment comes around again.
    The CAO will be a BSc through UCD. You apply through the CAO with the required points from your leaving cert and go to college full time for four years. Then when recruitment comes around you apply if you have qualified and graduated successfully with your BSc.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭truebluesac

When i applied for the FB all you needed was a full clean B lience and pass in you leaving cert .

The extra qualifications i had were definatly a plus . I had a degree and 2x dip in relavant subjects and was an EMT . However they are not just looking for you acidemic qualifications . They are looking for candidates with real life experience , physical workers and the approaite personality aptitude that can deal with the cerciumstances that will at some stage present ,

My advice Finish college , if and when the CAO paramedic comes up apply but only after finishing your current degree . And join a voulinteer unit as described above to get some experience .

Advertisement