Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Present.

Options
  • 15-11-2013 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi all,

I am looking to get my mother a tablet for Christmas and I am looking for some advice. She is very tech unfriendly so ideally it will be something with a simple, easy-to-use interface. All she will use it for will be emails, whats app, facebook, you tube and maybe for reading as well. I'm not really sure what my budget is but say around the €200 mark. Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Mark.87

FYI - you mentioned using WhatsApp but if she has it on a phone / other device already it cannot go on the tablet with the same number (i.e. 1 number can only be registered to one device).

• Registered Users Posts: 26 PCR

Thanks for the info. She currently doesn't have whatsapp - her phone is not capable of supporting it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

PCR wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. She currently doesn't have whatsapp - her phone is not capable of supporting it.

I don't think WhatsApp works on tablets at all. I think Viber are bringing out an edition which works on both phone and tablet.
    Google Hangouts/Chat, iMessage and Skype work fine on both tablet and phone, which all offer similar functionality

Nick

Cheers Nick, It doesn't have to be Whats app specifically just some wifi based messaging/communication system for when I am abroad.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Cheers Nick, It doesn't have to be Whats app specifically just some wifi based messaging/communication system for when I am abroad.

Skype, Viber, Facebook Chat are all cross platform and would work on Windows, iOS, Android based tablets. Each of these support messaging, as well as calling (except fb chat)

Nick

• Advertisement

Last I tried there was nothing stopping you from setting up WhatsApp on a tablet, you just needed an active mobile phone number to activate (they send you a conformation code on that number). I can’t be sure though, last time I had WhatsApp on a tablet it was in its VERY early days so it could well have changed. Any of the other suggestions are also good.

Anyway to get back to your original question…

Do you have a preference as to what size you want? 7in tablets have the advantage that they are more portable and cheaper whereas a lot of people prefer larger (around 10in) tablets for around the home.

Also do you have any preferences as to what OS you would like to get for her? I guess there are 4 main platforms available (Android, iOS, Windows RT and Android spinoffs such as Fire OS or similar), each having advantages and disadvantages. That being said, email, online messaging, Facebook, YouTube and reading apps (such as Kindle) are available on all of them (genuine YouTube app not available for Windows RT). The fact that she has a phone that can’t get WhatsApp makes me think this will be her first true experience with any of them.

The biggest advantage with Android is its price. They can range from sub €100 all the way up. More of less every tech company has an Android tablet out these days and different manufactures do different things with the hardware and software but for a tech unfriendly person I don’t know if any of them makes a difference.

I would say most mainstream 10in tablets will be over your price range. In terms of 7in Samsung Galaxy Tab has always been popular but my favourite (and a lot of peoples on here – do a search) is the Asus / Google Nexus 7. The 2012 model will be on budget, 2013 model slightly over.

Another option could be the new 7in Tesco Android tablet called the Hudl. I haven’t played with it myself nor do I know anyone personally that has but it seems like a decent enough tablet for what you are looking for. GBP 120 (less if you are a club card member) and it has some online Tesco shopping functionally.

There is also the option of getting a cheaper (Chinese) tablets. You could probably find a 10in one in your price range but I normally I don’t go for them (reviews are hit and miss) so you would be better get advice from someone else. The one thing I would say is try to get one with a modern version of Android (Jellybean or higher).

The second option is an iOS device (Apple iPad or iPad mini). Your budget will have to be very flexible to consider one of these. The cheapest iPad is the old Mini which will set you back €300 and prices increase from there.

Windows RT devices (Microsoft Surface RT) are another option. Last year’s model sells for about €300 but if she is used to a Windows (8) PC or laptop it could be a good option as the interface is very similar.

The final option (and only one other than Android that would be in your price range) is an Amazon Kindle Fire. Again there are some new models out which means last year’s models are very well priced. They do have their own special version of Android (Fire OS) but you should have no problem finding the apps you described. Obviously being from Amazon there is a heavy influence from Kindle and reading books.

If you answer some of the questions I asked (they are buried somewhere in all the text) someone might be able to help you a bit more. Within you price range you are probably talking about a 7in tablet (Android or Fire OS). The ones I mentioned are the Nexus (pure Google experience), Galaxy Tab (loaded with Samsung software and apps), Kindle Fire (Amazon orientated) and Hudl (Tesco influence) are all going to be more than enough for what you want. If you are looking for something bigger then it will have to be a cheaper / Chinese tablet which someone else can advice you on.

Hope this helps!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭creedp

Mark.87 wrote: »
    Last I tried there was nothing stopping you from setting up WhatsApp on a tablet, you just needed an active mobile phone number to activate (they send you a conformation code on that number). I can’t be sure though, last time I had WhatsApp on a tablet it was in its VERY early days so it could well have changed. Any of the other suggestions are also good.

Do you have a preference as to what size you want? 7in tablets have the advantage that they are more portable and cheaper whereas a lot of people prefer larger (around 10in) tablets for around the home.

Also do you have any preferences as to what OS you would like to get for her? I guess there are 4 main platforms available (Android, iOS, Windows RT and Android spinoffs such as Fire OS or similar), each having advantages and disadvantages. That being said, email, online messaging, Facebook, YouTube and reading apps (such as Kindle) are available on all of them (genuine YouTube app not available for Windows RT). The fact that she has a phone that can’t get WhatsApp makes me think this will be her first true experience with any of them.

The biggest advantage with Android is its price. They can range from sub €100 all the way up. More of less every tech company has an Android tablet out these days and different manufactures do different things with the hardware and software but for a tech unfriendly person I don’t know if any of them makes a difference.

I would say most mainstream 10in tablets will be over your price range. In terms of 7in Samsung Galaxy Tab has always been popular but my favourite (and a lot of peoples on here – do a search) is the Asus / Google Nexus 7. The 2012 model will be on budget, 2013 model slightly over.

Another option could be the new 7in Tesco Android tablet called the Hudl. I haven’t played with it myself nor do I know anyone personally that has but it seems like a decent enough tablet for what you are looking for. GBP 120 (less if you are a club card member) and it has some online Tesco shopping functionally.

There is also the option of getting a cheaper (Chinese) tablets. You could probably find a 10in one in your price range but I normally I don’t go for them (reviews are hit and miss) so you would be better get advice from someone else. The one thing I would say is try to get one with a modern version of Android (Jellybean or higher).

The second option is an iOS device (Apple iPad or iPad mini). Your budget will have to be very flexible to consider one of these. The cheapest iPad is the old Mini which will set you back €300 and prices increase from there.

Windows RT devices (Microsoft Surface RT) are another option. Last year’s model sells for about €300 but if she is used to a Windows (8) PC or laptop it could be a good option as the interface is very similar.

The final option (and only one other than Android that would be in your price range) is an Amazon Kindle Fire. Again there are some new models out which means last year’s models are very well priced. They do have their own special version of Android (Fire OS) but you should have no problem finding the apps you described. Obviously being from Amazon there is a heavy influence from Kindle and reading books.

If you answer some of the questions I asked (they are buried somewhere in all the text) someone might be able to help you a bit more. Within you price range you are probably talking about a 7in tablet (Android or Fire OS). The ones I mentioned are the Nexus (pure Google experience), Galaxy Tab (loaded with Samsung software and apps), Kindle Fire (Amazon orientated) and Hudl (Tesco influence) are all going to be more than enough for what you want. If you are looking for something bigger then it will have to be a cheaper / Chinese tablet which someone else can advice you on.

Hope this helps!!!

A lot of very helpful information here .. thanks as its a minefield to compare alternative products when you're not very tech savvy. I was wondering what people's opinion is of the Samsung Tab 3 8" as an alternative to a Nexus 7 or other 7" tablets? I was in PC World today comparing the Samsung Tab 3 8" and Nexus 7 which both sell for €219. The nexus is obviously a more advanced piece of equipment but the Samsung has the slightly bigger screen (good for gaming/watching video) and has 16 gb or storage plus a 16gb sd card included in box to bring it to 32 gb which would be handy for storing films etc.

While I think the nexus 7 is the better option does anyone think the slightly bigger and cheaper Samsung (if you consider the included the 16gb sd card) could be considered a reasonable alternative?

Hope this helps!!!

Excellent post, thank you very much. At the moment I am leaning towards the kindle fire 7". It seems to have plenty of bang for its buck and I have read several reviews stating its a good entry tablet for the tech naive. So I think this is right up my alley. Thanks again.

No worries. The question asked here is a common one so I had most of the post written for another site.

I would like to point out that I didn’t give as much time to iOS or Windows RT in the post. This is nothing to do with their capabilities, both are great devices and could be the right tablet for you. However realistically speaking with a budget of €200 you can’t get either.

You will probably find a lot of Nexus fanboys/girls that will tell you the Samsung is defiantly not the right choice but I’m not one of them. I love the Nexus and for me and my criteria it’s the best tablet on the market. But my criteria might not be the same as yours. There is such a range of tablets on the market now that it can be a very personal choice. This is what makes it hard for someone to recommend a tablet like is often asked here.

As you said it can be a minefield to compare alternative products when you're not very tech savvy. I like to think that any of the larger companies are all going to have adequate devices for what the masses need. But as always some do it better than others and they all seem to disagree on what the masses actually want!!!

To answer your question in short of course the Samsung is a reasonable alternative.

To answer it in long there are some differences between each device. The Nexus has more up-to-date version of Android, is lighter (20g if you notice) and has a much better screen. The Samsung has a bigger screen (if that is what you are looking for), the external SD storage and a bigger battery. Both devices have 5 megapixel rear camera (please no one use your tablet for taking pictures in public – YOU LOOK STUPID), similar front facing cameras, different form factors and different processors, both of which are fine (most users won’t even notice a difference).

My suggestion would be as you have already done, go into a shop and hold, feel, play with both and see which is for you. Form factor and how it feels in the hand can play a large part in the decision making process.

Just a few points to note in case you aren’t aware:
    1. External storage (SD cards) are great for storing movies, music, etc. on but most apps cannot be stored on the SD cards, they require the internal memory.
    2. A Nexus device is guaranteed to be first to be updated (assuming hardware specs allow for it) to new versions of Android. Samsung and other manufactures can take months to upgrade and with a lot of devices don’t even bother to at all.
    3. Nexus devices are the “true Google experience”. What that means is that they don’t come with any apps or other things (crapware) other than the basic Android / Google apps. Samsung is notorious for loading its devices with all sorts of apps that you cannot get rid of. Some of these can be apps from other companies (BBC News, Pulse, WHSmith, etc.) which Samsung have struck deals with whereas other apps are ones which Samsung have developed, normally to replace Google apps.
    Hope this helps and enjoy your new tablet, whatever it may be!

Excellent post, thank you very much. At the moment I am leaning towards the kindle fire 7". It seems to have plenty of bang for its buck and I have read several reviews stating its a good entry tablet for the tech naive. So I think this is right up my alley. Thanks again.

I think they go for about €120 now.... how can you go wrong.
    Amazon makes their money selling services so they can afford to sell hardware at cost. It’s a nice little device, not top of the range but perfect for most users I would imagine (plus it’s got a HD screen now). The only thing is if you are used to Android or iOS then you might find Fire OS frustrating but if it’s your first tablet then perfect choice.

• Advertisement

@Mark.87

Thanks again for the clear/concise advice.

1. External storage (SD cards) are great for storing movies, music, etc. on but most apps cannot be stored on the SD cards, they require the internal memory.
    A follow up question on this issue if you don't mind!

Presumably this means they can't be stored on memory sticks either (thinking about the Nexus 7) so as a rough guide how much storage would your average app require - or alternatively how many could be stored on a 16gb tablet? Would you suggest paying the extra to get a 32gb?

Advertisement