Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle fire HD or Nexus 7

Options
  • 21-08-2013 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

I want one of these for my daughter. Is the kindle better for reading books?

Please help me decide, I'm really torn.

It's the 'old' nexus 7 I'm thinking of.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭droidman123

mrs aol wrote: »

I never had a kindle fire, but I have had the nexus 7 for the last year or so and I couldn't recommend it highly enough. in relation to reading books on it, there are free reader apps on the google play store. ones I would recommend are, aldiko or my fav fb reader, great for reading books on a great quality screen. she can also play games, watch movies, store her music, it really is a great tablet, and they have come down in price since the launch of the new nexus 7. any other questions, just post them on here and I will try my best to answer them:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 frags

Had a nexus 7 very unreliable just stopped working got money back as within warranty from pc world got samsung galaxy 7 inch great machine no issues at all steer clear of the nexus

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭droidman123

frags wrote: »
    Had a nexus 7 very unreliable just stopped working got money back as within warranty from pc world got samsung galaxy 7 inch great machine no issues at all steer clear of the nexus
    the nexus 7 was the best selling tablet worldwide last year, all those people cant be wrong. you might just of been unlucky to of got a bogey one, as could happen with any make or brand of tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

The Nexus is better for books - the Kindle makes it awkward to put anything other than Kindle books on the device, while the Nexus (and pretty much all other Android devices) have the Kindle app to show Kindle books, as well as a set of apps that will show EPUB and other formats, and they allow you to put any books onto the device.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,832 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Fire HD is better for music and movies because of its Dolby Stereo speakers and high res display, but the newer nexus also has a high res display so if you listen with headphones or external speakers its a moot point

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Is it possible to download apps like Skype, instagram and Viber on to the kindle?

idk about instagram or viber. Skype yes.

There is no rear camera on the fire though. If you want to take photos, get the Nexus. Its nice and fast too, and verrry light.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Any good offers at the moment for the old nexus 7 also want to get one for my daughter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

Does amazon allow you to register a nexus and download all your books to it in the same way as you can another kindle?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I was asking myself the same question last week (ebook reader or tablet as christmas gift for someone) I just realised that a tablet is way better than an e-book reader.

But not only that, there are alot of decent tablets in shops. You dont have to go for a crazy expensive tablet if the main purpose will be ebook reading.

• Advertisement

seagull wrote: »
    Does amazon allow you to register a nexus and download all your books to it in the same way as you can another kindle?
    Amazon eBooks are viewable across virtually all devices. Android supports the Kindle app which allows you to access your Kindle account, yes.

Advertisement