Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions needed

Options
  • 10-11-2013 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi there,

Been a smoker for about 20 years and have attempted quitting before. Last time I was off them for about 10 months, smoked when on a golfing holiday, thought it would be easy jack them when I got home but that was 2 years ago! Anyway, went cold turkey last Sunday night and haven't smoked since. Thought I was doing well but got a craving for a cig on Thursday and it hasn't left me since!! Came very close on a couple of occasions since to having *one* but thankfully have stopped.

Any suggestions on easing the craving or do I need a crutch??

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 harrycallahan

Was a heavy smoker for 15 years and quit 21 years ago it's really hard but if i done it anyone can! its all will power if you really want to quit YOU WILL succeed and there is life after cigarettes and the benefits out weight the temporary withdrawal. Electric cigs are a good aid to quit but will power is the secret.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Smoked for 40 years, tried everything and electronic cigarettes are the only thing that has worked. You want to quit and that is the most important thing, the e-cigs help enormously and I now realise I will probably quit them too after a while as they just don't seem as addictive as cigarettes by a long shot (addiction to cigarettes does seem to vary widely between people)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mdn

Human psychology is a strange thing. It can indeed be extremely difficult to give up smoking. Even making the decision to quit is often quite traumatic. Having said that I often smile when I hear people say that ''if I can give them up, anyone can''. It seems as though we convince ourselves that 'we' are much more addicted than others are. In trying to make others feel that it will be easier for them we are, at the same time, making ourselves feel stronger for having broken the habit. Before I get a rush of negative remarks for that observation please remember that it is just that, an observation - not a criticism. If it helps us feel good about ourselves thats OK.

Having been a heavy smoker for 35 years I recently quit (5 months ago). After numerous attempts I finally feel that I have the habit broken. I didnt use any 'crutch' (but if these do help people, why not use them) - I simply chose to be as positive as possible and to discard any previously held notion I had that this task was insurmountable. I relegated the importance of cigarettes in my life and decided that these expensive little things were not going to dictate my life, health or happiness. I would no longer allow the fact of not having a smoke diminish the enjoyment I got from watching a football match or having a pint. I also found it very helpful to contemplate those positive health outcomes associated with being a non-smoker.

Finally, (and sorry for going on too much..maybe quitting makes one long-winded!! :)) the sense of being free and independent of cigarettes is a great joy. Someone recently said that arriving at middle-age and an increased awareness of ones mortality is a great incentive to quitting smoking. Perhaps they are right. Best wishes to anyone thinking of quitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

There are different levels of addiction to cigarettes, some people are more addicted than others. It is not a "one size fits all" scenario.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mdn

You will see, if you read my comment again, that I never mentioned or suggested about people having or not having different levels of addiction. 'One size fits all'...that was never suggested or hinted at. It goes without saying that we all have a different phenomenology and therefore different types of addiction.

• Advertisement
Advertisement