Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

raven136 wrote: »
    They dont survive infighting,attacking travellers,the dissident republicans,and not one attack from another gang

Less of the its so realistic stuff please.

I was unfortunate enough to know one of these sorts way back, and a friend and I used to joke that we could get mugged on the street, do the bare minimum to defend ourselves then run for protection and end up getting 5 years for assaulting the thief...whereas this guy could be caught red-handed with a bloody knife and a truck load of heroin and get off on a technicality.

The law is an ass and some people are just plain lucky when it comes to Gardaí or outside threats. Think Jesse Pinkman talking about how Walter White just had that streak of ridiculous luck; there are scumbags out there like that sadly. I wouldn't blame a real world equivalent of Nidge for feeling invincible in Ireland. Why do you think so many of our Gardaí are driven to drink with those kind of odds against them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

I enjoyed the series, not as good as others(the 1st series is still the best imo), but still very enjoyable.Enjoyed the ending as well! Haha, Nidge having his freak out in the cell.

The final episode sets it all up nicely for next season. Nidge stating he will have to start all over again, Fran still around, and Siobhan saying she will do anything to get Nidge. Roll on next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

there is a guy in dublin who fits nidges description exactly who has done little jail time (in and out in a day) has attacked the ra in dublin, abuses the gardai, has killed gang members and the travellers..and imports drugs.and still walks around without a bother...
    (so nidge is realistic)

• Registered Users Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭walshb

there is a guy in dublin who fits nidges description exactly who has done little jail time (in and out in a day) has attacked the ra in dublin, abuses the gardai, has killed gang members and the travellers..and imports drugs.and still walks around without a bother...
    (so nidge is realistic)

Report him!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 rivaldo2000

what were elmo and wayne doin when he was shot. was that job cancelled when he got shot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

seamus wrote: »
    She wasn't exactly an "IRA assassin", just a girl with a grudge and a good shot, hired on the QT by Dano. I think others are right here and she did that because she knew it was game over for her after missing Nidge and she'd only be safe in prison.

Yeah fine, but just give it all up and sit on the ground waiting for the cops? Do a runner at least. Go to England, whatever...

He reckoned Wayne was pretty badass and wouldn't crack under pressure. Maybe he also planned that he could use the youngfella for hit on the bombmaker and then take him out. As a newcomer and a nobody it would be nice and clean with little risk of him turning.

The kid was in his house to kill him. Two mins later he's best mates with Nidge. Come off it man. He was in his house, where is his wife and kids live

Why would he? As he said, his business is built on discretion. It's not in his interests to get involved in the whys and wheres of his buyers.

Because Nidge is a psycho. At least the guy knows Fran (who is also a psycho), tell him and let Fran deal with it.

He probably wanted to leave Fran out of it because Fran's a bit mental but also because he planned on bringing in Tommy to be the patsy. Fran wouldn't go for that and could fnck the whole thing up. I'm not sure though, it's one of the things in that episode that they seemed to slot in with no real explanation.

Nonsense, Fran is not some clown or low level muppet. He's a ringleader almost at the same level in the group as Nidge. You can't just leave him out cos you feel like it and not expect serious retribution.

How much Lidocaine do you think she could smuggle on the Ferry? The entire point of the massive operation was that they could bring in hundreds of millions worth in one go. They were already smuggling stuff on the ferry, why would they go to this trouble just to continue doing what they were doing?
    Maybe you should ask someone who's been beaten to a pulp and is now being suffocated and is panicking? I was just looking for something other than the pathetic ending that was written

Anyroads, as I said its a good show for Irish standards but it doesn't hold a candle to other crime shows from around Europe and the globe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭RoryMac

what were elmo and wayne doin when he was shot. was that job cancelled when he got shot

Did you even watch the episode last night? The job was Wayne getting clipped

I couldn't have been more obvious if they had flashed up on the screen 'Wayne has been setup by Nidge and Elmo'

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

:confused:

You were watching it right? The "job" was Wayne being killed. Elmo told him to get out and get a gun that wasn't there so that the other kid could kill him.

When Elmo asked Nidge, "Are you sure you want to use the youngfella for this job?", he wasn't talking about Wayne.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,431 ✭✭✭✭kippy

A few people don't seem to have understood what happened here..........

Elmo and Wayne were't doing anything, Elmo was setting Wayne up to be shot.......

Nidge had already gotten the young lad lined up to kill Wayne as he thought Wayne was a lose cannon.
    So there was no job to speak of.........

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

that was the job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,431 ✭✭✭✭kippy

RoryMac wrote: »
    Did you even watch the episode last night? The job was Wayne getting clipped

I couldn't have been more obvious if they had flashed up on the screen 'Wayne has been setup by Nidge and Elmo'

Yeah, I've heard and seen people talking about that scene all morning.
    It couldnt have been more obvious as to what was going on.......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

There was no "job" for Wayne. They tricked him. When Elmo said to Nidge "Are you sure you want to use the young fella" the audience would think he was talking about Wayne, but actually they were using his friend to kill him off.

..I assumed that judging by Elmo's (lack of) reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I feel denied that we didn't have a scene with Wayne's nan being told so she could give us an unconvincing, "Ahh jaaaaaysus..." reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

That was disappointing. I was really enjoying this season but it all hinged on the finale and it failed imo. It was quite entertaining, don't get me wrong but looking at the season now... what exactly happened? It seems a lot went into new characters (Wayne, the dentist, Nidge's lady) and storylines (Tommy's brain injury, the cops) and it all came to nothing. All the actual "stuff" happened in the first 4 episodes and the last 2 were all about getting everyone back to exactly where they were at the start of the season. It really feels like this season was all one big set-up for material for future seasons.

Fran and Nidge are still buds, Tommy is back in a hospital bed, the whole gang went from getting busted to "diddly-squat" in a heartbeat, the most interesting new character (the psycho kid) is dead, the dentist is dead. The cop investigation failed miserably, only the Siobhan/Tommy aspect of it went somewhere. The RA story was the only thing of consequence that happened and even that was wrapped up in the first 3 episodes. How's is Nidge's life (or any of the other main characters lives) any different at the end of season 4 than it was at the start of the season? Lots of stuff happened, but nothing changed.

Also, WTF was with that ending? Didn't make any sense for Nidge to act like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It wasn't the best series but there was plenty in there to enjoy.

My main criticism is that they tried to bring a couple of elements into it to make Nidge a more rounded character and potentially make him a more likeable charcter that you could sympathise with. But they were too clunky and didn't work.

The episode with the death of his mother who was only brought into it when she had the stroke and there was no time to convey any sort of relationship where you might feel a bit sorry for him, if that was the intention.

And the efforts in trying to make him look like a doting father didn't really work either.

The best acting in it was by Siobhan and Fran.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Roonbox

leggo wrote: »
    I feel denied that we didn't have a scene with Wayne's nan being told so she could give us an unconvincing, "Ahh jaaaaaysus..." reaction.

hahahahah brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The finale was a bit underwhelming, but my reaction is no where near as extreme as some! OTT in the praise of earlier seasons, OTT in the criticism of this one. People calling continuity error on the teeth, when one of the first scenes was Fran trying out the falsey's!

Wayne was too cocky, showing him taken out by the more compliant pal is an interesting one. They had Wayne acting up to the pal about what would he do "Whatever they want" was the response whereas he thought he was special.

Thought the dentist had potential to be a good long running character, but more realistic that he was just in over his head.

Obviously I'm no brain injury expert, so no idea if it is realistic, but Tommy had similar turns/ fits/ whatever at times of stress and confusion. He'd just had Nidge go off at him over Darren, with Nidge basically making Tommy's truth out to be nonsense (a bit mad when Elmo and Ado made a hames of an effort). Like I said, not sure if it's realistic, but the writing set it up.

And all set up now for Nidge v Fran for Season 5. Will Deano stay onside with Fran with his behaviour? How will the cops react to their cover being blown*? Siobhan defo out to get Nidge, and Nidge getting dumped by Janet. So whilst not brilliant, I'm not going along with it was a load of crap either. People's expectations are more of a problem than the writing imo.

*One thing I will give out about - made no sense having the cop that nidge was intimidating then undercover following him around the whole time. He spotted him as the bouncer, posts someone to sit outside his house, and then Nidge wouldn't notice him tailing him at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Keyzer wrote: »
    The kid was in his house to kill him. Two mins later he's best mates with Nidge. Come off it man. He was in his house, where is his wife and kids live
    Their "relationship" was a bit rushed sure, but I think Nidge gained a lot of respect for Wayne. They were all pinned down by the cops, the potential to send Nidge and his gang away for a very long time and the kid nonchalantly says it was all just a bit of messing. Remember that they were about to kill him; Wayne knew that if the cops let them go, he's at risk of being killed again. Nidge could see the kid was absolutely fearless but also without any kind of loyalties.

It was at the start of that episode that Nidge spotted the bomb maker, so he was trying to figure out how to hit him without any of the rest of the gang figuring it out. Wayne provided a good opportunity - get Wayne to kill the bombmaker, kill Wayne, and the loop is complete; Nobody knows about Nidge and Linda and the bomb and Fran is forever in the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The job Elmo was being given was to clip Wayne. Wayne wasn't given any job, the only mention between Nidge and Elmo was "the young lad", which we were to assume was Wayne at the time, and when Elmo picked him up, but obviously meant the other lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭RoryMac

I thought it was a good season overall but the end was a bit of a let down imo. There was no real finale to the season, It didn't have to be a shootout or involve much action but any plotlines being carried over to next season were already in play before last night(the cops on Nidge's tail, the idea of Siobhan selling him out, the tension with Fran etc). One of these should really have come to a head rather than just reinforcing on what had already happened.

I does fell like the story has just been reset to the start of this season rather than being moved on. It's a pity but I'd also be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the season overall, I thought the tension in this season was built up really well at times, the ruthlessness of Nidge and gangs in general was portrayed well.

Hopefully next season we'll see more progress on the story, I think it really suffers due to only 6 episodes a season though, I'd love to see it increased even to 8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭buswankers

[QUOTE/ *One thing I will give out about - made no sense having the cop that nidge was intimidating then undercover following him around the whole time. He spotted him as the bouncer, posts someone to sit outside his house, and then Nidge wouldn't notice him tailing him at all?[/QUOTE]

Agree with this, for someone thats supposed to be super paranoid there seemed to have been a serious lack of glancing in the rear view mirror for my liking.
    Also, when the cops called to the dentists house, would they not have spotted Fran's van parked just down the street, I mean we saw them in the van watching the dentist go into the house, presumably they left the van there, I know it wasnt right outside the house, but Fran has been under surveillance the entire series so think it was a little bit hard to believe that the 2 "detectives" wouldnt have spotted it when they called to the dentists house & then known that Fran was inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭amandstu

Heroditas wrote: »
    The biggest revelation of the whole series for me was in the paper today when I discovered that the dentist (Peter O'Meara) played "Foxhole" Dike in Band of Brothers.
    I knew he looked familiar!
    What is the explanation for him (Peter O'Meara) sounding identical to Dylan Moran -practically down to his comic repartee (I only just saw him the once on the Saturday show and eventually I twigged that it was Dylan Moran who seemed to be talking) ?
    Is there a part of Dublin filled with people that sound and talk like Dylan Moran?
    Are they related?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭yizorselves

That was a very weak way to get rid of Wayne.

So his friend just had no problem with killing him, all because of the slagging over his **** wheelie was it? Ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Agree with this, for someone thats supposed to be super paranoid there seemed to have been a serious lack of glancing in the rear view mirror for my liking.
    They played fast and loose with his supposed paranoia all season.

Also, the cop was told to check it further, and what does he do? Knocks on the door again, calls his mobile, and then leaves. Handy for the script but again implausible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Very clever weapon of choice by Fran, cops will think it was the Rubber Bandits.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

That was a very weak way to get rid of Wayne.

So his friend just had no problem with killing him, all because of the slagging over his **** wheelie was it? Ha

doubt it was down to that, probably was paid off by another little skanger who had his dog ridden by wayners

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭tronman

Seems like we are just about back to square 1 in many ways. Wayne's character was wasted, he could have done so much more.

No revenge from Fran despite the revival of the Linda story which was 2 seasons back.

No mention of Darren until a fleeting one 5 mins from the end of the season. If Nidge wanted his killer so bad why wasn't there a mention. I also thought after his mam's death we'd see a softer side of Nidge and him get closer to Trish. Again, a meaningless story that went nowhere. Also why didn't Nidge pursue Lizzie after the house break in. Or visit her in prison? He knew the Ra killed Darren so why didn't he go after her or Danno to find out?

Too many gaping holes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

D-FENS wrote: »
    Very clever weapon of choice by Fran, cops will think it was the Rubber Bandits.

It was the anti Limerick bias Joe! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

I didn't like the dentist storyline. Didn't like Janet and not too fond of the cops this season.
    I really enjoyed the episode that Nidgster's mum died in , for me that episode had alot of the magic that this show used to have in abundance.

Hated that Tommy remembers everyone and everything other than the incident and the run up to it. Would have preferred if he just put it together, or someone put it together for him. I don't like that kind of writing, it's hammy and gives the show, the writer ans the characters all these cheap outs that arn't really there. This dude is an excellent writer and I'm just surprised he chose this option.

Continuity, and character development took a back seat also which I think is the reason this season was so disjointed and messy.

Nidge is essential to this show so it's important he's there till the end . Other than that I don't think I care who dies anymore cause I don't feel I know enough about these characters in general. Also think there isn't as much relevance to, really, any scene as the writer is more likely to drop any storyline at anytime or just leave it hanging mid-air without it ever resolving it.

Obviously goes without saying its a great show, but the slick smooth magic has gone somewhat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Anyone know the name of the song playing when nidge was in the cell?

Look out for it when they release the show’s soundtrack, which will feature more songs than the Beatles’ back catalogue

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement