Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

johnsuperf wrote: »
    the first episode was a little bit slow but believe me it kicks of after that.The show was great all based on fact.I watched nine episodes one night I just could not stop watching it.

I'll give it another go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

RainyDay wrote: »
    Maybe I was wrong. Or maybe I wasn't - just don't know how anyone can be sure, based on what happened.

Just watch it again, it is plain as day what happened, from the first watch.

If you still come away with any conclusion then Nidge having the lad killed then yes, you are still wrong.

Even ignoring the scene where Nidge tells Elmo to go ahead with it, did you not think it a little odd that there was no gun under the bin? that Glen just happened to be cycling around with a gun in that area by pure chance? that Elmo showed no reaction whatsoever to the shots, no surprise, no panic, nothing?

Come on like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

bazermc wrote: »
    Nidge and Wayne werent able to complete that task, so what chances was Elmo going to have? :D:D:D
    So they would have taken a different approach - a drive-by or whatever, instead of a head-on close quarters confrontation.
    zpehtsfd wrote: »
    The Detective / Tommy situation was a load of bollocks. As if he would chose to help him over putting a gang away for 20 years.
    He made a promise to Siobhan, and he stood by his promise. How is that hard to believe?
    P.Walnuts wrote: »
    You literally couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

This isn't a subjective thing that could go either way, Wayne was set up to be killed by Elmo and Nidge 100%
    You can keep repeating something, but that doesn't make it true. I'm open to being convinced, if there is any particular logic out there, but I haven't heard too much of that on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

Benteke wrote: »
    It was all on tape, The guards could do nothing else but help

You mean the tape that was no longer necessary now that they were about to bust them all? Ironically Tommy collapsing was actually keeping Nidge at the scene instead of him living before the truck arrived. The scriptwriters were trying to add a deeper dimension to the dectitive's decision to save Tommy i.e. an emotional attachment. Hard to fathom for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 johnsuperf

Underbelly is alright. As for production value, acting and character development it is left in the ha'penny place by Love/Hate.

I understand it is a biopic but it moves at way too fast a pace to really enjoy.

The character development is far better in underbelly thats my opinion.love hate is not a patch on underbelly.Even the start of song was brilliant and well suited to the show.:its a jungle out there:

• Advertisement

The Detective / Tommy situation was a load of bollocks. As if he would chose to help him over putting a gang away for 20 years. Thought the finale and Season 4 overall was very poor. Way too many plots and rushed endings.

Not a load of bollix, what did you expect? The Gardaí to let a man (with brain damage) die on camera and sit there and watch?

Never gonna happen, it also highlights the difference in the good guys and the bad guys

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 mud_guard

Underbelly is alright. As for production value, acting and character development it is left in the ha'penny place by Love/Hate.

I understand it is a biopic but it moves at way too fast a pace to really enjoy.

the lead fat slob of a gangster in underbelly was a terrible actor , either that or he played a completely uncharismatic charechter , he,s nothing compared to nidge

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

Maybe I was wrong. Or maybe I wasn't - just don't know how anyone can be sure, based on what happened.

Or 3 - Elmo and Wayne were off to kill the traveller on Nidge's orders.

Because Glen had seen the gun being stashed and taken it for his own purposes.

Elmo and Wayne were off to kill the traveller on Nidge's orders.

Not offence but you were definitely wrong. Elmo knew exactly what was going to happen, it was an obvious set up. If he and Wayne were off to kill the traveller and Glen had thieved the gun you can bet Elmo would have tore away from the place and there'd have been serious repercussions. It was clear as day what happened, I'm amazed anyone could see it any other way.

So they would have taken a different approach - a drive-by or whatever, instead of a head-on close quarters confrontation.

He made a promise to Siobhan, and he stood by his promise. How is that hard to believe?

You can keep repeating something, but that doesn't make it true. I'm open to being convinced, if there is any particular logic out there, but I haven't heard too much of that on this thread.

because guards use people ( like Siobhan and tommy ) as a means to an end all the time , if you think guards are all corn fed boy scouts , your incredibly naïve , to give just one example , guards tell lies in interview rooms to suspects in order to try and draw them out

• Registered Users Posts: 36 johnsuperf

I'll give it another go.

yeah watch a couple of episodes one after the other and then you will really get into and keep in mind it is all based on fact.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    I haven't been this disappointed since the last episode of Lost.

Ah here now. It wasnt that bad!

You refusing to take heed of logic does not mean it is not there, don't pretend you are open to anything other then your own inaccurate reading of the situation, which even though you now realise is wrong you cant bring yourself to man up and admit it.

You have been told often enough, at this stage you are just ploughing ahead not to lose face I imagine so Im done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

While the banter here is no harm, I think most of us have gone way too deep in our analysis to be honest.

It really needs to be taken for what it is and what it's trying to depict. We need to understand the constraints facing the writer too, time available, actor availability and budget limitations.

From its inception to the close of season 4 last night has only amounted to 22 episodes, a hell of lot has happened over those 22 episodes, so we have to allow without prejudice Carolans need to leave out a lot of the nitty gritty stuff we are referring to as loose ends. If one was to watch closely enough you can see instances where loose ends are in fact tidied up but you could easily miss them with the blink of an eye, two examples being the opening of last nights finale, it clearly showed Frans teeth were sorted and it also showed the sealed off investigation scene outside the house where the two girls were found dead. There was no need to devote a 5 min slot to ether one of those examples either was there?

I'm still a fan and will stick with this excellent show till the end.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Extremely hard. A chance to put a bunch of ruthless drug dealing gang members behind bars for 20 years doesn't come around too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Benteke

You mean the tape that was no longer necessary now that they were about to bust them all? Ironically Tommy collapsing was actually keeping Nidge at the scene instead of him living before the truck arrived. The scriptwriters were trying to add a deeper dimension to the dectitive's decision to save Tommy i.e. an emotional attachment. Hard to fathom for me.

Yes that tape, The same tape that would have got every one of those guards sacked maybe even charged for sitting back and letting someone die when they could of done something about it, Of course for some that is hard to fathom because you expect the guards to have the same morals as criminals

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭bigpoppa

The last episode of this show highlighted what many have suspected for a few weeks, the show is far from where it needs to be in terms of gripping drama and depth of story line, it is littered with inconsistencies and plot holes and trust me I am as disappointed as anyone that this is the case

Extremely hard. A chance to put a bunch of ruthless drug dealing gang members behind bars for 20 years doesn't come around too often.

Seriously, forget his promise to Siobhan, the option of letting Tommy die on camera was never a real one. No video surveillance, more of a decision, video and audio surveillance, they had to intervene.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Very underwhelming end to the season I found. I started watching Love/Hate about a month ago and marvelled at the astounding writing that was present throughout but the finale felt like such a cop out

• Registered Users Posts: 9,325 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I think you need to re-watch the episode!

Guinea or whatever the lad's called is the type the gang really want. He wants to do whatever they want him to do, not put himself in a box like Wayne did. The earlier episode where Wayne and Guinea are talking and Guinea wants in, and Wayne is giving it all "what are you going to do for them" - his answer is "whatever they want me to do".

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

Ah come on, there is absolutely no way they could have let Tommy die while they were waiting and filming it to boot. That would end up being a huge scandal for the guards to deal with. It would have done been implausible for it to pan out any other way.

No why Nidge didn't just tell Aldo or Elmo to take him to hospital and get the other to do Tommy 's job, I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,325 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Big Game wrote: »
    No why Nidge didn't just tell Aldo or Elmo to take him to hospital and get the other to do Tommy 's job, I don't know.
    Tommy answering back about him ordering the hit on Darren when Nidge was spoofing before it happened?

Yes that tape, The same tape that would have got every one of those guards sacked maybe even charged for sitting back and letting someone die when they could of done something about it, Of course for some that is hard to fathom because you expect the guards to have the same morals as criminals

how many guards were sacked over abbeylara ?

detective moynihans attack of morality was pretty unrealistic

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

...of course they'll have to face the consequences of knocking on a door, shrugging their shoulders, and walking away from the house while their informant was in the kitchen being murdered.

..or not.

bigpoppa wrote: »
    The last episode of this show highlighted what many have suspected for a few weeks, the show is far from where it needs to be in terms of gripping drama and depth of story line, it is littered with inconsistencies and plot holes and trust me I am as disappointed as anyone that this is the case

it was an average series

id place the series in the following order of greatness

first series was pretty poor IMO , I hated the charechter which young Gleeson played

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭plannerscanner

johnsuperf wrote: »
    The character development is far better in underbelly thats my opinion.love hate is not a patch on underbelly.Even the start of song was brilliant and well suited to the show.:its a jungle out there:

Don't get em wrong it was very good - I watched the Melbourne 90's series in a few days.

But did you ever wonder how exactly Carl goes from idiot driver to drug kingpin after only a few episodes? I felt a fictionalised version would have been more entertaining as opposed to the body count programme it became.

I wasn't tempted to watch either of the following 2 series - but let's agree to disagree - we really are spiled for choce when it comes to programmes these days

Don't get em wrong it was very good - I watched the Melbourne 90's series in a few days.

But did you ever wonder how exactly Carl goes from idiot driver to drug kingpin after only a few episodes? I felt a fictionalised version would have been more entertaining as opposed to the body count programme it became.

I wasn't tempted to watch either of the following 2 series - but let's agree to disagree - we really are spiled for choce when it comes to programmes these days

carl didn't even come across as bright in the way nidge does

his skank wife was a good charechter though , made the madamme in love hate look like the epitome of class

bigpoppa wrote: »

Agree. First 3 Seasons left me wanting to see more but after last night, i couldn't careless is i never see it again. Very poor. IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Benteke

I'm not saying they would get charged or sacked but it would be a national scandal, It would be so bad it would over shadow the case itself, They made the right call and it was the only one they could make in those circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

For what it's worth it said in the Indo today that the 5th series will be the last. Probably no bad thing as the backlash has already begun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

Maybe I was wrong.

You could not be more wrong. Just rewatch the episode before posting again as you are digging a large hole.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement