Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Menu Plans

• 07-11-2013 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26 LadyMeowMeow

Is anyone making plans for their Christmas Day menu (breakfast, lunch and dinner plus any other treats!) yet?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Is anyone making plans for their Christmas Day menu (breakfast, lunch and dinner plus any other treats!) yet?

Yes, but only in my head right now.:D

I'm looking to do something different than turkey, or else do something different with turkey, fish will feature for starters-possibly a terrine of fish.

Breakfast will feature homemade brioche, French toast with bacon and a good coffee.

That's all I've got to so far:)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 LadyMeowMeow

Well, if you want something different with turkey, here's the link to Jamie Oliver's turkey wellington - skip to 12:17 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwQ-WuqnA0k

I have thought about doing something other than turkey but something inside me says it's wrong not to have turkey on Christmas day!
    Homemade brioche sounds gorgeous.

I only have breakfast so far..
    Breakfast: Smoked salmon, scrambled eggs and brown bread (although I like the idea of Christmas morning muffins)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I have to re-jig mine slightly. Doing a 5k on Stephen's day so don't wanna over do it. Also having beef for mains this year (the turkey will feature on new years plates). I am doing something with lobster for starters. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 LadyMeowMeow

hdowney wrote: »
    I have to re-jig mine slightly. Doing a 5k on Stephen's day so don't wanna over do it. Also having beef for mains this year (the turkey will feature on new years plates). I am doing something with lobster for starters. :D

Oooh what way are you going to do the beef?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

Am trying to get invited instead of cooking for hoards this year, most years so tired after cooking, I have lost my appetite, nothing like getting a meal handed to you.

• Advertisement

I want to know how she's doing the lobster:P

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭cailinardthair

This is the first year in few years that there will be more than 15 people at dinner so we have kinda started because we have to say who is buying what!
    But we kinda do the same thing every year

We'l have square sausage and bucks fizz and a mountain of sweets after presents.

Then we'l meet up with the rest of the family around 12/1 for lunch which is soup and smoked salmon/prawns and a lobster if my uncle catches on!

Then dinner is very traditional but no goose this year think we're having duck along with turkey, ham and all the trimmings

and god knows what my sister is making for dessert but im making fruit salad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

My boyfriend and I have decided to spend Christmas together this year, instead of going to our families.

For breakfast we'll have a fry, but think we might get some fancy sausages from the butchers.

For lunch I dunno what we'll do - any suggestions appreciated. No prawns though, he's allergic!

For dinner we'll have either a four bird roast or duck, or something as I don't like turkey.

For dessert I will make something chocolaty maybe. Any suggestions welcome!

Can't wait for it this year actually :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

We never have breakfast or lunch, we have dinner at about 1pm, then nibble on a few bits again at about 8, that's it! Usually just some mince pies for breakfast :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

I am stuck with cooking for 7 adults and 1 child :(. My plan is to get 8 meals from a carvery lunch on Christmas Eve, cling film them up, lash them into the fridge and microwave them on Christmas day.
    Bulletproof :cool:

• Advertisement

We have 19 for dinner this year, love the alternate years that we get everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Yeah, we don't usually have breakfast either - just have the dinner about 4 and we be nibbling during the day then - I might have smoked salmon and brown bread or something around lunch time.

When I watch cooking shows like Gordon Ramsay though it makes me want to go all out and do the whole shebang - breakfast, lunch and dinner! I'd be stuffed!! :D

If I ate my dinner around 1pm, I'd be asleep for the day. Any time I eat a big meal during the day I am always exhausted after it. I don't even know why.

Plus, we're only having a small dinner, as it is only the two of us anyway, so no point cooking a big feast we won't eat.

Toast4532 wrote: »
    If I ate my dinner around 1pm, I'd be asleep for the day. Any time I eat a big meal during the day I am always exhausted after it. I don't even know why.

Plus, we're only having a small dinner, as it is only the two of us anyway, so no point cooking a big feast we won't eat.

After a big meal your body has to work harder to digest it, so all energy is directed to doing that and other functions are neglected, like being awake! So you get sleepy, food coma. My family have mastered eating loads and not getting sleepy, so dedicated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Seems alot have a big breakfast on xmas morning , so what time will you have dinner?
    Last year my mother in law and sister in law stay xmas eve round one of the daughter's house ,had big breakfast, then the dinner was serve up at 12midday, they weren't hungry , but didn't say anything, just nipple on the dinner, i think 2/3pm a good time.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Seems alot have a big breakfast on xmas morning , so what time will you have dinner?
    Last year my mother in law and sister in law stay xmas eve round one of the daughter's house ,had big breakfast, then the dinner was serve up at 12midday, they weren't hungry , but didn't say anything, just nipple on the dinner, i think 2/3pm a good time.
    Are you asking me? :o

Breakfast about 10am maybe, lunch about 1-2, dinner about 5 maybe.

We usually have dinner anytime between 5-7pm anyway, and Christmas dinner is the same unless we go to a relatives house, but we won't be doing that this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭cailinardthair

We usually space it out throughout the day because there is so much food, so this is the easiest way to enjoy it.
    So breakfast with my Mom, Dad and the siblings around 9....Then we meet up with the rest of the family after santa has come around 12 and have lunch around 1 and then dinner around 5/6 we have to feed the babies before we eat and relax for the evening!

We don't bother with the lunch, serve xmas dinner around 3pm.
    about 5/7 pm with have the xmas pudding, because no one wants it immediately after dinner.

We don't bother with the lunch, serve xmas dinner around 3pm.
    about 5/7 pm with have the xmas pudding, because no one wants it immediately after dinner.

...I do :P I have trifle and pudding right after dinner, then again later :)

...I do :P I have trifle and pudding right after dinner, then again later :)

You would be a hero in my house!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I have about 3 or 4 helpings of garlic cheesy potato over the course of the evening!:D MMMMM and turkey and stuffing sandwiches with mayo and black paper - on white bread! So bold but sooooo good! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I want to know how she's doing the lobster:P

Now there is a couple questions!! For the beef I am pretty sure I am just gonna slow cook it to keep it's medium rare deliciousness. Not put anything on it or the likes. But if I do put anything on it it'l be a herby crust. Then it is served with home made yorkies, spuds, the sprouts and green beans in lemon and pine nuts I do every year, some other veg and delicious gravy.

As to the lobster, no concrete plans as yet. Looking into doing some sort of lobster salad methinks (easier to prepare on Christmas day when you have a bazillion other pots and pans on the go than if I did a hot dish), possibly with crab/prawn etc :) I'll fill yas in more when I concrete it up.

We have a small breakfast on Christmas Day, and then head off to Church. Dinner is usually around 3pm (we don't bother with lunch). The year of the mega snow fcked my timings right up so it did. Our Christmas Day has a ritual and it all went right out the damn window due to the flipping white stuff (which I generally love but HOW DARE IT ruin my Christmas Day plans!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

We have breakfast at about 9ish. There's two options, a full fry up with all the trimmings, or else fresh croissants, crumpets, brioche, home made scones and home made brown bread. Served with home made orange juice, teas and coffees.

We have Christmas dinner at about half 2. There's two options for the starter, gnocci, or home made soup. Maincourse will be chicken and spiced beef with 4 different types of potato and various different veggies.

We have desert at about 5 because everyone is too stuffed to have it straight after dinner. There's 3 choices, christmas pudding, home made banoffee pie, or lemon posset

At about 8 tea is served, usually eaten in front of the telly. This is finger food, usually things like cocktail sausages, vol-au-vents, sausage rolls, mozerella sticks, mini prawns, onion rings, things like that.

All washed down with copious amounts of good pinot grigio :D My mother is a ninja in the kitchen, how she does it all without breaking a sweat and a smile on her face is beyond me.

You would be a hero in my house!

I am a hero in my house! :P I am "just a girl", and can out-eat all the men and the "adult" women in the extended family, it's a skill, requiring a dress with lots of space and years of prep :D

I could never eat a fry up for breakfast before it though, I can have that any day, I prefer to gorge on Christmassy food only.

I am a hero in my house! :P I am "just a girl", and can out-eat all the men and the "adult" women in the extended family, it's a skill, requiring a dress with lots of space and years of prep :D

I could never eat a fry up for breakfast before it though, I can have that any day, I prefer to gorge on Christmassy food only.

You would be the best person to ask for xmas dinner, nice empty dishes!:D

You would be the best person to ask for xmas dinner, nice empty dishes!:D

If I liked it, I generally only like my mum's food, she has me spoiled, she used to be a chef :p The one and only time I tasted a bought mince pie in someone else's house I spat it out, I only have an appetite for her Christmas food :)

• My lot insist on turkey every year. I serve it with stir fried sprouts, marrowfat peas, roast and mashed spuds, stuffing and gravy. For dessert it's cheesecake with summerfruit topping, made with packet of frozen summerfruits, boiled and set with powdered raspberry jelly. YUM. Breakfast is usually scrambled egg and sausages. Breakfast 9ish and dinner 3pm.
    Stephens day is bubble and squeak and cold turkey.

Anyone doing spiced beef at all? Would be interested in how you prepare it/cook it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

My lot insist on turkey every year. I serve it with stir fried sprouts, marrowfat peas, roast and mashed spuds, stuffing and gravy. For dessert it's cheesecake with summerfruit topping, made with packet of frozen summerfruits, boiled and set with powdered raspberry jelly. YUM. Breakfast is usually scrambled egg and sausages. Breakfast 9ish and dinner 3pm.
    Stephens day is bubble and squeak and cold turkey.

Would you mind telling me how you stir fry the sprouts please? Do you parboil them first ?

Am cooking for husband and 2kids this yr. We always went to my parents but this yr we feel like being proper adults:)

Am going for traditional fayre .

We only like white turkey meat so I think I ll just get turkey escalopes and loads of ham ! Garlic spuds roasties mash carrots n parsnip mash broccoli and stir fry sprouts. Onion and mushroom gravy.

Might ham and mushroom vol au vents to start.

Dessert : pudding mince pies custard and ice cream.

I actually can't wait now

• Advertisement

• Lisha wrote: »
    Would you mind telling me how you stir fry the sprouts please? Do you parboil them first ?

I don't have a wok, so I use a big saucepan. I cut the sprouts in quarters. Heat about a tablespoon of oil in the saucepan, toss in the sprouts and keep shaking them around until cooked. Takes max 10 minutes and they taste so different from boiled!

Advertisement