Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tech/research expertise in the Waterford area?

Options
  • 25-04-2003 7:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,295 ✭✭✭

If (hypothetically) a company was to set up a search engine/directory/market research operation in the Waterford area, what level of tech and market research expertise is there in the area and would it be able to support an operation that may (hypothetically) be planning on taking a major segment (UK first) of the European market?

It is a strange question but there is some reason for it. And locating in Dublin is out of the question due to the non-availability of blaas.

Regards...jmcc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Well with its wealth of business and technology students and research types, I'd make WIT my first stop if I were you. Students are cheap and I'm sure that other contacts can be made with graduates, through the WIT graduate news letter and groups like TSSG?

There are definitely people in Waterford looking for work in IT and business, and from reading these boards, I'd say there's plenty of people who are looking for a reason to return to Waterford.

merlante

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

if there was any work in the network/sys admin areas Id be certainly willing to go back to waterford.. for the right price of course.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,295 ✭✭✭jmcc

Originally posted by merlante
    Well with its wealth of business and technology students and research types, I'd make WIT my first stop if I were you. Students are cheap and I'm sure that other contacts can be made with graduates, through the WIT graduate news letter and groups like TSSG?
    It would depend a lot on the people. If the WIT had a newsletter for college dropouts, it would be a good thing as these are often the people who make very good researchers/sysadmins. The best way would be to think of this as a mercenary operation and people who can think for themselves are required. But if the grads and students fit this category, it would be good. The TSSG people are very good at what they do but I don't know if they would be interested in this kind of operation because of the high levels of uncertainty associated with any startup.

There are definitely people in Waterford looking for work in IT and business, and from reading these boards, I'd say there's plenty of people who are looking for a reason to return to Waterford.
    Yeah it would be excellent if this project turned into a GoogleKiller and employed a lot of Waterford IT/biz heads but that would probably not happen until a few years down the road. At the moment, it is a case of finding a few good people (prob towards the end of the year). Though the UK SE/directory thing may take off a little sooner than planned.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

I also have some interest in setting up a small technology operation in Waterford. I come from around Waterford city, went to WIT, when it was still an RTC, and working for a small US software company. I might be coming back to Waterford for several months soon to work on a project remotely and investigate opening an office there.

I know I can get good employees, its office space and high speed internet that are the big problems.

Keep me in mind if you do set something up in Waterford because I might be open to sharing some office space and expenses etc

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Lawnkiller

I am currently finishing a degree in WIT and would love to have a reason to stay(apart from work in a call centre). There are loads of skilled workers in waterford looking for some 'real' work.

The office space and high speed internet should be a problem with the new business parks and comercial zones.

All i can say is - yes, if you have an idea and some skills to set it up and keep it going, you could get plenty of support.

p.s. give us a shout if you are looking for any techies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement