Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone care to share their story? Part 2.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 bobbymoore1

ColHol wrote: »
    Just on your website, you should have an option to filter by club. If Im a Liverpool fan I dont want to trawl through tons of other clubs to get to Liverpool stuff.

Other than that best of luck with the business, its a catchy name. Good luck!

Hi Col

Thanks for the feedback. I'll discuss that with the web designer. At the moment though if you search Liverpool, it should pull up the Liverpool only stuff, but if you search Liverpool mug, it will pull up other team mugs like Arsenal, Leeds United etc. I'll see what we can do on it to make it easier though.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭skafish

Some great stories on this thread. Any updates to maybe bring some rays of light to these gloomy days?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭malibu4u

skafish wrote: »
    Some great stories on this thread. Any updates to maybe bring some rays of light to these gloomy days?
    +1. I'm a long time lurker, but some of those stories are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

A truly inspirational story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭wildflower

Hi all, this is a very inspirational thread! I am just starting to set up my own massage therapist business. I like a lot of people came straight of of college 10 yrs ago and starting working for "the man", I'm still in that very same job 10yrs later and even though I don't mind it- it's a depressing thought to be there for next 40 yrs!
    So for the last few yrs I've been trying to think of a business idea that will work but in the current climate and very little start up money I struggled to get inspired and I'd get a great idea then see someone else doing it and kinda lose interest.
    But 2 weeks ago- the planets must have been aligned for me or something!!!- this business just appeared really, I had trained as a massage therapist straight out of school but never really worked in it much and retrained again in a completely different area. I just happened to be in the right training when one of my bosses said they needed a massage therapist as the one they had was too expensive for people to use anymore. The next day I happened to bump into this woman again and said to her I would be interestd in the job, she directed to me someone else, and as I speak they are preparing tender forms and they said I'm a good bit cheaper than anyone that's ever done it for them before so I should have no problem getting it.
    Just wanted to post and say sometimes ul be driving urself nuts to think of something and nothing feels right, I met my accountant who's a friend and had heard all my other hair brained schemes and she just said- it's perfect because of the simplicity of it. If u have an idea just try and simplify it down to basics first and then build on it.
    My plan is to keep my full time job for 2 years and fingers crossed have built up enough of a client base to go part time for another 3 years, then go out on my own after that. My long term plan was always to not work nights which I do now in my full time job, and with a small child at home and a husband I never see, I'm desperate for this to work to give me a better standard of family life. I will keep u updated as I'm just starting and might fail miserably, but I'm very optimistic this time :-))))

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

best of luck wildflower. hope it works out for you :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Good luck Wildflower!!

Operating in a similar industry to you, my advice would be to be very careful about entering a race to the bottom on prices because as passionate as you are, working hard for a low return sucks.

And be aware of the VAT and tax implications that may arise for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

This is my favourite thread on boards. I will fill you all in on my various ventures after work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

At the brainstorming stage, we moved abroad a year ago and have decided that we want to get out away from our current jobs and get something of our own off the ground. Right now we are in the "no idea is a bad idea" brainstorming stage and will soon start filtering those ideas based on more research and thoughts on costs and feasibilty.

Will keep you posted! ....and will gladly accept all advice, especially related to evaluation and making the decision to go for a particular idea !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

2007 - bust for over half a mil (mainly landlords who hiked rent up by 200% - so no apologies) and owed over 100k personally.
    2013 - 3.5m t/o over 40 employees, decent profits each of past 3 years.

Believe in what you do and make sure you get and keep the best possible team with you. And even in the worst situation, be upfront and honest with all your suppliers. Even if they don't like what they hear, they'll appreciate you telling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭skafish

sandin wrote: »
    2007 - bust for over half a mil (mainly landlords who hiked rent up by 200% - so no apologies) and owed over 100k personally.

Believe in what you do and make sure you get and keep the best possible team with you. And even in the worst situation, be upfront and honest with all your suppliers. Even if they don't like what they hear, they'll appreciate you telling them.

WELL DONE

Great to see a sucess story for a change. Keep up the good work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

This is my favourite thread on boards. I will fill you all in on my various ventures after work

That's a long shift you're working. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 rendy78f9b194

I was very interested to read this post, read the various experiences written. I was new to the business and I'm just starting a business one year earlier. still a lot I need to improve to be good and growing

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Lobby Con Shine

sandin wrote: »

More details please.

I need a pep talk that'll have me kicking down the dressingroom door.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

So I've finally decided to bite the bullet and set up my own business in IT. It will be a challenge considering the market seems swamped with giants, but I feel I can offer my own experience and I'm committed to doing so. I've progressed with developing a business plan, but the cash flow projections get me every time, so a chat with an Accountant or Start Up advisor is in order.

I'm looking forward to the challenge instead of being a back seat driver with an opinion and want to forge my own path through the business world for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Itzy wrote: »
    So I've finally decided to bite the bullet and set up my own business in IT. It will be a challenge considering the market seems swamped with giants, but I feel I can offer my own experience and I'm committed to doing so. I've progressed with developing a business plan, but the cash flow projections get me every time, so a chat with an Accountant or Start Up advisor is in order.

I'm looking forward to the challenge instead of being a back seat driver with an opinion and want to forge my own path through the business world for a change.

Best of luck, hope it works out!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Honestcars

Hi All

Ive just started my own business. Im struggling to get customers to use my services and get the word out:mad:. Can anyone give me some constructive criticism of anything i need to change on my website or tips how to get my business out there with a small marketing budget. link for website http://www.honestcars.ie

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Honestcars wrote: »
    Hi All

Ive just started my own business. Im struggling to get customers to use my services and get the word out:mad:. Can anyone give me some constructive criticism of anything i need to change on my website or tips how to get my business out there with a small marketing budget. link for website http://www.honestcars.ie

Thanks.

Hi,

The website looks nice but two things just from looking at it quickly. One is I get what you are trying to do with the name but my first thought when seeing the name Honest Cars is that it is trying too hard to come across as legit the other is when you click on "why sell with us" the first word you read is scam even though its crossed out its still the first thing you see as the page loads and that is going to stick in the mind. With the name what you want is something that sounds like it has a lot of history behind it and is a name you can rely on. I must say for a start-up the website does look really well.

jimmii

Ok thanks jimmi i think i will change the image to something else, on the name though i thinks its really good it says exactly what we are about in one word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Very nice and professional looking website. I have to say I like the slick robotic like layout. The whole thing reminds of the movie I AM Legend, don't know why! But that's a good thing. Well done.

Thanks tacofries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

jimmii wrote: »
    One is I get what you are trying to do with the name but my first thought when seeing the name Honest Cars is that it is trying too hard to come across as legit

First thought was similar to this. Despite your best intentions it instantly adds some doubt to the mind of the potential customer. It has them asking the question is this guy honest when they should be admiring your site and reading things like '50 years experience in the motor trade' (which is hidden down at the bottom of the page).
    A salesman would never come to the door and tell you straight off that the bat that he's honest.

Can understand you trying to get the message across but think you have to be more subtle.

I see what your saying start off maybe we are trying to hard with the name but when we get more established and people trust us i feel its a good name for what we do. We are not your average used car website we offer people reassurance when choosing to buy or sell privately.Its just getting to that stage, thats the hard part:mad:

Thanks for the feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I personally wouldn't use the site on the basis that you do not disclose the price and for such an "Honest" site, everything seems to be very secretive.

You won't give out a price guide. Is it done on percentages? Is there a flat fee? I really feel this should be on the site in view.

Hiding the registrations I don't agree with, every other site in the country displays registrations, I think your site should too. If someone wants to scam a car they will, but you'd have to be very unlucky.

Also, if you supply a cartell check with every car, why don't you link it in the advert?

The site screams paranoia to me.

Hi
    Our prices are listed in the F.A.Q section, we will list our fee in more pages throughout the website to make it clearer, this was done unintentionally. With the registration plates we have asked all vehicle owners if they want to hide or show the plates before we upload the ad, and they all preferred them hidden. So we just decided to hide them all from now on. If someone wants to know the reg number they can just ring us. Because I have a trade account the link for the cartell.ie report does work unless I am logged the whole time which I can’t be. A printed version of the cartell.ie report will be shown when a buyer comes to view the vehicle.

You should be asking what the buyers prefer, after all that is the point of the website!

I thought you could link to a cartell report?

You’re right in what you’re saying but if the vehicle owners don’t want their reg plates shown there is not a lot we can do. Maybe we will change it and not hide them all, let the owners decide. We planned on having all ads linked to their Cartell report, it only works if you do a regular check, when I insert the link it goes to the login page with a trade account.

Makes sense, I've see you've already added in the price.

Should also try and improve on the written text information on the ads, it seems very minimal and whom ever is taking the photos really needs to improve there skills. Try and have the same angle for each one of the main photos, and then proper shots of each corner of the car. If you're taking interior shots sit in the back seat and tilt the two front seats back a bit. Have the steering wheel straight etc.

The website is very good but IMO the input of the adverts lacks professionalism.

Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement

Its something we can work on.

Thanks for the feedback

Advertisement