Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dinosaur Jr. appreciation thread

Options
  • 19-10-2013 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

Wonderful band I really just love the whole laidback to fuck attitude J has. Also he's a great guitarist. Just really gotten into them more over the last 2 years in a big way. I love "discovering" bands haha

J Mascis played Whelan's on his own a few years back, and they've a new album out, so does anyone think J, Murph & Lou will hit these shores anytime soon?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

They seem to be releasing music on a regular basis, so can't see why they wouldn't come over here for one of these albums. Whelans would be amazing, but I'm sure it would be at a bigger venue. I also only really got into them/him in the last couple of years. Can't believe I missed them (for the most part) back in the early 90s. I would've absolutely loved them.

His solo stuff is brilliant too.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭TwoCanDan

They're great live. I saw them in the Button Factory (may have been TBMC still?) in '06 or '07 and then in the Academy a few years later, and again last year at Primavera Sound. They've been touring pretty hard the past few years, so I can't see any reason they won't come back soon.
    J's solo stuff is as good as a lot of Dinosaur Jr's band output in my opinion. There's an album from ages ago, More Light, that's well worth seeking out (it has contributions from Kevin Shields and Bob Pollard, and his touring band had Mike Watt and occasionally the Asheton brothers...the guy has taste).

Lou's Sebadoh have a lot of solid albums too...

I know I'm probably preaching to the converted here, but for anyone into these guys, this book is brilliant...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Band_Could_Be_Your_Life

Sorry for the long-windedness...

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ned rierson

they played vicar st in 2010, the academy in 2008, button factory in 2006 and the ambassador in 2005

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Peter Visibility

Fantastic band. Saw them in McGonagles in 1991 and Mascis NEVER stopped playing the guitar. Before, during and after the songs. Packed house, amps set to stun level, happy boy. Also can't recommend book 'Our Band Could Be Your Life" enough. Really sorry I never saw Husker Du live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Would have loved to have seen them first time around. This version of Freak Scene in the film 1991: The Year Punk Broke is one of my favourite live videos by any band. The energy they give off is amazing.

Some humorous interviews with J Mascis and Murph here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

they played vicar st in 2010, the academy in 2008, button factory in 2006 and the ambassador in 2005

Here's hoping they come back soon so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

They're one of those bands that I've loved since I was about 12/13. The beginning of Start Choppin' always makes me feel like I'm a kid again.

Saw them at ATP one year and my god they were incredible.

Don't think I'll ever be bored of listening to Mascis' guitar playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I got "Several Shades of Why" a few months ago, real pretty album. I've been playing it quite a bit.

I've never noticed his lisp before, or is it just an affectation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Saw them at a poorly attended gig in Galway a few years ago and they were ****ing unreal. Got J's plec after as well. It's in my keyring and goes everywhere with me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Fantastic band. Saw them in McGonagles in 1991 and Mascis NEVER stopped playing the guitar. Before, during and after the songs. Packed house, amps set to stun level, happy boy. Also can't recommend book 'Our Band Could Be Your Life" enough. Really sorry I never saw Husker Du live.

I was at the McGonagles gig. It was about a month after Sonic Youth+Nirvana in the Top Hat. Dinosaur Jr were deadly though as you say.

You're Living All Over Me is my favourite LP of theirs.

There was a record shop in Waterford during the late 1980s/early 1990s called KG Discs. They sold 50 copies of Green Mind in the first week. 21 LPs, 22 cassettes and 7 CDs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Love the guitar in Feel The Pain.
    Bought Without A Sound decades ago, never really got into it that much.

Really like a handful of their songs, love the rolling loud guitars
    Saw them live in Galway a few years back, very good.
    Spend many, many great nights in Freakscene nightclub (by Alan Fad) in Cork, named after Dinosaur Jr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Bug turned 25 yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Peter Visibility

Now I do feel the pain (of being old)!

Here's hoping for a visit from Dino Jr in '14.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

J Mascis is playing Whelans in January

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭iomega

I have Green & Where you been on cassette. Some great songs, good guitar player, but the voice and fried hippy lyrics grates quite quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

duckysauce wrote: »
    J Mascis is playing Whelans in January

Too old to mosh, not old enough to sit (me)

Well, J Mascis played Whelan's last night and he was a study in laidback awesomeness. Using the fuzz with the acoustic was brilliant. He f*cking well shredded. Did some Dino Jr songs as well as solo stuff.
    Got a pick too :)

Bump

Dinosaur Jr playing Vicar St on Tue 15th Nov

I've my ticket anyone else going?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Interrobang

MetalDog wrote: »
    Bump

Dinosaur Jr playing Vicar St on Tue 15th Nov

I've my ticket anyone else going?

Yup. Not a chance I'd miss seeing them again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭evani1976

Agree with above post intro to Start Choppin brings me right back to my Teenage years.

Also legend has it Sonic Youth's inspiration for Teenage Riot was J.

Advertisement